PWS bolt lock-up question

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

USBP379
Silent But Deadly

PWS bolt lock-up question

Post by USBP379 »

Can anyone else comment on this?

This is my SIG516 upper with the bolt and carrier fully in battery. Note that the locking lugs are fully seated inside the barrel extension.

This is my PWS MK114 upper with the bolt and carrier fully in battery. The locking lugs are visible against their respective barrel extension lugs. My MK109 upper is the same way. I wonder if there's something off with the PWS bolt carrier cam slot that is keeping the bolts from fully rotating into battery.

Of course this all could be absolutely nothing to get worked up about but I notice that the locking lugs on my MK114 and MK109 bolts are starting to look somewhat battered.

I've looked at a number of AR's--both piston and DI--from other makers and haven't noticed this from other brands.
sniiped

Re: PWS bolt lock-up question

Post by sniiped »

i *think* it does that because of the spring on the bolt itself in the bolt carrier group. you'll notice when the bolt is forward and you have the rifle broken down shot gun style, that the bolt carrier group isn't all the way forward. a way to test my theory is to pull the bolt out of the bolt carrier group and take the spring out and put it back together and see if it still does it.
Desert scrub
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Desert scrub »

What spring intend bolt carrier are you talking about? I have a mk116 and mk216 and have not seen any spring in the bcg of either rifle. Just the buffer spring and extractor springs is all I have.

I'll check my pws guns later today and see if they look the same when in battery.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

Desert scrub wrote:What spring intend bolt carrier are you talking about? I have a mk116 and mk216 and have not seen any spring in the bcg of either rifle. Just the buffer spring and extractor springs is all I have.

I'll check my pws guns later today and see if they look the same when in battery.
Some makers of piston AR's put a spring inside the bolt carrier that goes around the rear of the bolt to give a bit more forward force to twist/lock the bolt lugs in place when a round is chambered. It also helps when putting the bcg into the upper receiver, as it holds the bolt in the proper position for assembly. Perhaps PWS is not one of those makers that uses an extra spring.
Desert scrub
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Desert scrub »

Just got back for another range day with my pws rifles. So much fun. Any way, I looked at how my lugs seat and they look about half way between the 2 pictures you posted.
I'm pretty sure it's just those 2 lugs we see due to the feed ramp cuts. It's nothing I'm worried about.
Jjhammer

Post by Jjhammer »

This is an interesting, I posted earlier about how my mk107 exploded and was told by PWS that my mil surplus ammo was too hot. I still don't understand the disengage from battery causing damage to upper/lower receiver and bcg without lug damage. Your observation may point out that the bolt wasn't sufficiently in a locked position. I have a couple others and will have to check this out.
Jjhammer

Post by Jjhammer »

I reviewed my two PWS, and both bolts lock nicely in place. One has the bolt spring and the other does not. Although one has only about 300 rounds and the other is new. I'll periodically check alignment in the future.
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

Jjhammer wrote:I reviewed my two PWS, and both bolts lock nicely in place. One has the bolt spring and the other does not. Although one has only about 300 rounds and the other is new. I'll periodically check alignment in the future.
Are both of these with the dedicated piston bolt and the latest carrier design?