Feed ramp question

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

moreguns4me

Feed ramp question

Post by moreguns4me »

I have heard that ACC feed ramps on the barrel extension for the 300 blackout are wider than standard. Are the feed ramps on the Noveske 300 blackout barrel extentions as wide as ACC 300 blackout barrel extentions ?
Nic56
Silent But Deadly

Re: Feed ramp question

Post by Nic56 »

No, they are the normal 5.56 feed ramps. (At least my 10.5" barrel is) With that being said, mine has cycled everything flawlessly, including the 240 grain flat nosed bullets that I mostly use for it.

I don't know why all the other barrel companies have not used the wider ramps like AAC has. I guess the 5.56 barrel extensions are common and cheap.
300BLK AR-15 with 10.5" Noveske barrel (1:7 pistol length gas)

300BLK 16" AAC Handi Rifle (1:7 twist)

300BLK 16" AR-15 with 16" PSA FN barrel upper (1:8 pistol length gas)
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

It takes less than 5 minutes with a Dremel to alter the typical 5.56 extensions to 30cal feed ramps, they don't need to be any deeper, just widened a tad and smoothed over.
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
moreguns4me

Post by moreguns4me »

Midway USA lists both the AAC and Noveske 300 BLK barrels as having 4M feed ramps. Has anybody looked at both at the same time for comparison ?
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

moreguns4me wrote:Midway USA lists both the AAC and Noveske 300 BLK barrels as having 4M feed ramps. Has anybody looked at both at the same time for comparison ?
yes...the width of the ramp is different.

EDIT: The bigger question is...Does your Upper have the M4 feed ramp cutouts?
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

I'm one of the cautious few that thinks dremels have destroyed more firearms than almost any other tool...i'm still researching to find out the safest way to do this (expand standard feed ramps to 30 cal)...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

BadKarmaZeroSix wrote:I'm one of the cautious few that thinks dremels have destroyed more firearms than almost any other tool...i'm still researching to find out the safest way to do this (expand standard feed ramps to 30 cal)...
I'd love to see an overlayed schematic of the two.
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

Ok, i have been thinking about this for more reliable feeding...anyone that actually DOES this fairly often, or has a video of doing it, please post...i can find a few on youtube, but not always trusting of youtube fixes that are permanent...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

...as the purpose of the feed ramps is to facilitate the alignment of the round as it enters the chamber, take into consideration what type of bullets (and their ogive shape) you will be using the majority of the time. If you wish to widen the "channels", at least ensure you take EQUAL amounts of metal from both sides of the channel so the centerline remains true. It is a good idea to caliper the width before you do any modifications. Extra caution must also be taken to ensure you do not alter the "angle" of the ramp as that will adversely affect the alignment and feeding process...

...I have yet to experience any feeding issues with ANY of the commercially available jacketed bullets normally used for reloading 300BLK.