Gas Block off center?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gunner-g

Gas Block off center?

Post by gunner-g »

I just received my Noveske 8.5" barrel and I put my upper together last night and I noticed that the gas block seams to be slightly off center compared to my KMR rail. I haven't shot the gun yet but is this a problem?
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Re: Gas Block off center?

Post by tfbit »

Not if the hole in the block is lined up with the hole in the barrel. If this is a Noveske barrel with factory pinned gas block I wouldn't worry about it. They do all that stuff with jigs. If it shoots it shoots. Also, just how much out of alignment is it?
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
gunner-g

Post by gunner-g »

Just slightly off center. It does have the factory dowel pin installed and it was a little stubborn to install that pin but the set screw looked to be aligned with the mark from the factory. I'll try to get a picture and post it later. Hope to have some ammo to shoot it next week
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

gunner-g wrote:Just slightly off center. It does have the factory dowel pin installed and it was a little stubborn to install that pin but the set screw looked to be aligned with the mark from the factory. I'll try to get a picture and post it later. Hope to have some ammo to shoot it next week
...the greater concern would be if the gas tube alignment thru the receiver and into the body is off enough that it contacts the gas key opening in such a manner to damage either the gas key or tube...worse yet, both.

Some barrel pins require they be installed from a specific side as it is a tapered pin, not a straight pin. Installation from the wrong side could cause the gas block to shift in the opposite direction from which the pin is being installed.
danner
Silent But Deadly

Post by danner »

r.tenorio671 wrote:the greater concern would be if the gas tube alignment thru the receiver and into the body is off enough that it contacts the gas key opening in such a manner to damage either the gas key or tube...worse yet, both
This.
Someone who is ruled by the "discretion" of another is, to that extent, a slave.
Nic56
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nic56 »

That does look a little canted. I looked at mine. It appears canted very slightly to the left in relation to inside the handguard. Did you try blowing down the barrel with the chamber plugged to see if air moved freely through the gas tube?

Kind of a silly question, but I'm assuming your handguard is on straight?
300BLK AR-15 with 10.5" Noveske barrel (1:7 pistol length gas)

300BLK 16" AAC Handi Rifle (1:7 twist)

300BLK 16" AR-15 with 16" PSA FN barrel upper (1:8 pistol length gas)
gunner-g

Post by gunner-g »

Nic56 wrote:That does look a little canted. I looked at mine. It appears canted very slightly to the left in relation to inside the handguard. Did you try blowing down the barrel with the chamber plugged to see if air moved freely through the gas tube?

Kind of a silly question, but I'm assuming your handguard is on straight?
Yes I did plug the chamber and blow down the barrel. Plenty of air came out the tube. Handguard is on straight. Gas key and tube seem to line up with no binding evident.
danner
Silent But Deadly

Post by danner »

gunner-g wrote:Yes I did plug the chamber and blow down the barrel. Plenty of air came out the tube. Handguard is on straight. Gas key and tube seem to line up with no binding evident.
If the gas block hole is over the gas port in the barrel and the gas tube is riding the gas key straight and centered then I wouldn't worry about it. Yours isn't the only one that is crooked.
Someone who is ruled by the "discretion" of another is, to that extent, a slave.
Nic56
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nic56 »

danner wrote:
gunner-g wrote:If the gas block hole is over the gas port in the barrel and the gas tube is riding the gas key straight and centered then I wouldn't worry about it. Yours isn't the only one that is crooked.
I agree. With the pinning, the gas block is very likely to be properly positioned over the gas port hole. You appear to have plenty of clearance to avoid rubbing. A little of this and a little of that can make the gas block appear off center, when most likely it is perfect. Early on, I tried to eyeball things like gas block "straightness". I learned that is not a good way to go. I bought a gas block jig to dimple opposite the gas block. That way, I know it is right, even though it might not look that way.

I bet it shoots fine.
300BLK AR-15 with 10.5" Noveske barrel (1:7 pistol length gas)

300BLK 16" AAC Handi Rifle (1:7 twist)

300BLK 16" AR-15 with 16" PSA FN barrel upper (1:8 pistol length gas)