8.5" noveske gas port size... in case anyone is wondering

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Hydra
Senior Silent Operator

8.5" noveske gas port size... in case anyone is wondering

Post by Hydra »

my calipers say .106"

when i asked Noveske via email before buying the barrel they told me... "that's proprietary information"

kinda crappy, but whatever.
Noveske / Viltor MUR upper
Noveske 8.5" 300 barrel
Voodoo low mass carrier
Seekins 12" MCSR V2 rail
Noveske Gen 2 lower
Geissele SSA
JP Silent Spring
Liberty mystic
ATF jail: Saker 7.62
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Re: 8.5" noveske gas port size... in case anyone is wondering

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

Lol, everything is "proprietary" now...good thing you have top-secret calipers to get to the bottom of it...
I guess i can understand certain manufacturing procedures or even materials being protected info, but a MEASUREMENT? I wonder if someone asked Chevy what the exact overall length of their new Colorado was, if the response was "sorry, that's proprietary" how many times the person would still buy the truck...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
Hydra
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hydra »

BadKarmaZeroSix wrote:Lol, everything is "proprietary" now...good thing you have top-secret calipers to get to the bottom of it...
I guess i can understand certain manufacturing procedures or even materials being protected info, but a MEASUREMENT? I wonder if someone asked Chevy what the exact overall length of their new Colorado was, if the response was "sorry, that's proprietary" how many times the person would still buy the truck...
What boggled my mind was that after they told me that, I scoured the internets and couldn't find any measurements... hopefully this pops of for the next guy googling it.
Noveske 8.5" 300 barrel
Voodoo low mass carrier
Seekins 12" MCSR V2 rail
Noveske Gen 2 lower
Geissele SSA
JP Silent Spring
Liberty mystic
Geared4me

Post by Geared4me »

Hydra wrote:my calipers say .106"

when i asked Noveske via email before buying the barrel they told me... "that's proprietary information"

kinda crappy, but whatever.
This is exactly the info I was looking for, thank you for posting it!
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

Go ask GM the length of their truck. If they come back with 16' 4", ask them if that is a approximate dimension from the brochure, or if it is straight off the engineering drawing to within 1/1000 or an inch or better. Then ask them what the heat-treat is that they use on their rear-differential. If they ask why you want to know, say that you want to build another one on your own without using their parts and maybe put the info on the internet so that other manufactures can make clones without doing the R&D and shooting expensive ammunition or using a $70,000 high-speed video camera.

Could that port be eroded? The measurement doesn't seem like what I would expect.
Hydra
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hydra »

300Blk wrote:Go ask GM the length of their truck. If they come back with 16' 4", ask them if that is a approximate dimension from the brochure, or if it is straight off the engineering drawing to within 1/1000 or an inch or better. Then ask them what the heat-treat is that they use on their rear-differential. If they ask why you want to know, say that you want to build another one on your own without using their parts and maybe put the info on the internet so that other manufactures can make clones without doing the R&D and shooting expensive ammunition or using a $70,000 high-speed video camera.

Could that port be eroded? The measurement doesn't seem like what I would expect.
Possibly, the barrel had maybe 300 rounds through it by the time i measured.
Noveske 8.5" 300 barrel
Voodoo low mass carrier
Seekins 12" MCSR V2 rail
Noveske Gen 2 lower
Geissele SSA
JP Silent Spring
Liberty mystic
Geared4me

Post by Geared4me »

Well, for me personally, I have a Noveske 8.5" barrel arriving soon for my first 300blk build and was trying to decide if I wanted to use an adjustable gas block or not. With the posted information I decided against the adjustable which I probably would have gone with otherwise.