10.5 Noveske 300BLK barrel issues

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

danner
Silent But Deadly

Re: 10.5 Noveske 300BLK barrel issues

Post by danner »

You guys that aren't getting acceptable groups with your handloads can you please list what length you're loading them to?
Someone who is ruled by the "discretion" of another is, to that extent, a slave.
Alphawolf082
Silent But Deadly

Post by Alphawolf082 »

ppelaez wrote:I've got the 8.2" Noveske and I'm having similar results with hand loaded 125 SMK's and 110 TAC-TX's. Pretty awful groups (3 - 4 inches @ 100 yds). The other day I picked up a box of factory loaded Hornady 110 VMAX's. Sub-MOA groups @ 100yds. So, I guess I finally found something this gun likes. I was hoping to do some deer hunting with this gun so I'd sure like to find a way to get it to shoot the TAC-TX decently.
what are your loads?
ppelaez

Post by ppelaez »

Alphawolf082 wrote:
ppelaez wrote:I've got the 8.2" Noveske and I'm having similar results with hand loaded 125 SMK's and 110 TAC-TX's. Pretty awful groups (3 - 4 inches @ 100 yds). The other day I picked up a box of factory loaded Hornady 110 VMAX's. Sub-MOA groups @ 100yds. So, I guess I finally found something this gun likes. I was hoping to do some deer hunting with this gun so I'd sure like to find a way to get it to shoot the TAC-TX decently.
what are your loads?
125 gr SMK
17.9 gr H110
FED 205M primer
Converted LC brass
COAL = 2.190

Alphawolf, on a different posting, you had indicated that you are seating your 125 SMKs to 2.120. I tried that and the rounds wouldn't chamber. They drop into my Sheridan gauge but the base seems to sit ever so slightly above the first step - it's almost imperceptible but that's the only thing I can figure. I loaded 5 rounds at that depth and not a single one will chamber. Those five cases were sized exactly the same (and at the same time) as the other 45 cases in that lot. Every other round from that lot that I've loaded longer (2.190) chambers just fine. I'm using converted LC brass. I'm starting to wonder if the case capacity on those cases is smaller enough that at the shorter depth the powder is compressed enough to slightly bulge the case? I'm in the process now of prepping some R-P factory brass to compare the H2O capacities of the two cases.

Could you share with me the type of cases you're using? Thanks.
Alphawolf082
Silent But Deadly

Post by Alphawolf082 »

That is interesting. I've loaded that load in an assortment of 300blk headstamped cases as well as converted LC brass I have from Brass Monkey mostly. All sized the same like what you said. I too often have cases which will not insert into the Sheridan Gauge in a similar fashion. I've mostly chalked it up to the fact that my extractor tends to nick the rim. I test loaded 30 of these rounds (loaded in LC converts) yesterday and they all went to battery fine.

I dont think it is a case capacity issue though. I dont think that is how such an issue would manifest itself. Also, Rebel keyed me in on that length so he's had good success as well.

Not sure man, I'll be interested to hear what the others suggest. Might wanna start a thread in the reloading section about it.