removing flash hider

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Redbear

removing flash hider

Post by Redbear »

I want to remove the AAC 51t flash hider that came on my Noveske upper but I remember seeing people having a hard time getting them off around the internet. Is threadlocker or something used? What is the proper way? I don't want to over tighten it in a barrel vise and mess anything up.
-k-
Industry Professional

Re: removing flash hider

Post by -k- »

Silencer mounts are installed with Rocksett. It will break free when enough torque is applied, but some people soak in water overnight to weaken the Rocksett.

Rocksett is high temp so do not try heat.
Todd
Redbear

Post by Redbear »

Thank you
DVW

Post by DVW »

Did soaking overnight work? I'm having a hard time removing my flash hider too!
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

I tried soaking in boiling water but it did no good. Also the stupid flash hider started to strip with my wrench.

I resolved the problem by taking the flat end of a wrench and fitting it through the prongs of the flash hider and then turning the wrench like a lever to break the flash hider free. There was no damage the flash hider and was quiet easy.

I wish I would have thought of using a lever through the prongs first as I ended up making a few small marks on the barrel from the wrench slipping and stripping the flat edges of the flash hider.

I hope this works for you.
DVW

Post by DVW »

I wound up soaking the end of the barrel assembly in warm water for a couple of hours, then tried a wrench- like you experienced, the flats of the flash hider rounded off, and the wrench slipped. So I removed the forearm, clamped the barrel in a vise, and used a 2' long pipe wrench to remove the flash hider! Crude, but it worked. The flash hider is no longer pristine, but I'll seldom use it, preferring the can on the end of the barrel instead of a flash hider. It seems Noveske REALLY likes to use lots of thread locking agents, as the flash hider and forearm were slathered with the stuff. First shots with the new upper tomorrow after work- can't wait!
gravitas73
Silent Operator

Post by gravitas73 »

My upper on order is from AAC, dunno if they use rocksett too but assuming they do and it is just as difficult, what would be the suggested method for cleaning the threads to install a threaded suppressor with another application of rocksett?

Would a simple degreaser work?
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

gravitas73 wrote:My upper on order is from AAC, dunno if they use rocksett too but assuming they do and it is just as difficult, what would be the suggested method for cleaning the threads to install a threaded suppressor with another application of rocksett?

Would a simple degreaser work?
My upper was an AAC upper that had this problem, so I assume yours will as well. I used simple gun degreaser to clean out the left over rockset in the threads and it worked like a charm.

I tried a wrench, a 2 different large crescent wrenches, and finally a pair of vice grips over flannel cloth in my failure to get my flash hider off. I got a little desperate with the vice grips but I had already soaked the flash hider and the flats were already stripping so I figured what the hell. To do it all over again I would simply go with the flat handle part of a long strong wrench between the prongs. I already had a muzzle brake I was going to use and I was pissed off because I made a few small marks on my barrel when the wrench slipped a few times as the flash hider was stripping. I figured I couldn't lose anything trying the wrench in the prongs.

I put the gun on the bed, put my knee and all my weight on the gun to keep it from moving, and then cranked on the wrench with both hands and the flash hider came loose. I was thrilled and wished I had thought to do so in first first place. The flash hider prongs suffered no damage.

Hope this helps.
gravitas73
Silent Operator

Post by gravitas73 »

That does help thanks! I'll try to wrap the head of a wrench with some cloth and use it as a lever between the prongs, then clean it with degreaser.

I'm just a little worried about getting my suppressor off if I ever need to. I was recommended to use Rocksett to secure the threaded suppressor. If I do I won't have any "prongs" to use to remove the suppressor someday.

I guess I'll just use a very small amount of Rocksett to hopefully make it easier to break loose?
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Post by Overton-AR »

I love ALL 4 of my Noveske barrels, but I certainly wish they wouldn't
assume that EVERYONE uses AAC suppressors. I would rather have them
drop the price of their uppers by $100 (the price of the AAC mount) and
let me put on my own mount. Like my Gemtech Bi-Lock mounts.

Besides......

For people who don't (or can't) own suppressors, the $100 is a waste.

Oh yea......PLEASE bring back the SWS Qaud Rails.