Soooo... Any one heard any word on Chromelined?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

FiReBReTHa

Soooo... Any one heard any word on Chromelined?

Post by FiReBReTHa »

:) I wanna build a new upper :lol:
CoheedKillgannon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Soooo... Any one heard any word on Chromelined?

Post by CoheedKillgannon »

Just guessing and I could be wrong... I don't think that they will ever make chromelined barrels for 300 blk. Their proprietary stainless steel barrels are very sturdy and no one has reported wearing one out when it was used only for semi auto (check Google there are many posts on this subject for their SS 5.56 barrels). Full auto is a different story...

-k- will probably correct me if I am wrong.
FiReBReTHa

Post by FiReBReTHa »

I started to study more into it and the chrome lined allows for lighter barrels. So weight reduction is a plus there.

Palmetto does manufacture a 16" Chrome
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... arrel.html

Now just need to find a 14.5 :) I want to go as short as possible in IL for ease.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

The question is - when will someone ever wear out a stainless barrel in 300 BLK? There is very little powder, and much more bore area, than 5.56mm - so the barrels should last much longer.
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

FiReBReTHa wrote:Palmetto does manufacture a 16" Chrome
actually FN makes the barrel and PSA sells it, I have one and it is nice
also PSA does not have any plans in the works for a 14.5
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

300Blk wrote:The question is - when will someone ever wear out a stainless barrel in 300 BLK? There is very little powder, and much more bore area, than 5.56mm - so the barrels should last much longer.
As soon as I get mine in stainless, I'll start on the wearing out task. :lol:
JUSTIN3825

Post by JUSTIN3825 »

I could see 30,000 rounds through a good stainless barrel with a 300 BLK, shooting a mix of subs, and supers. My Noveske barrels will shoot 1/2 inch at 100 yards 5 shot groups all day long. No chrome lined will do that consistently. why, oh why, a chrome lined barrel for 300 BLK? makes no sense. Not one possible reason to do it, but lol to each his own. Always can make a light weight profile stainless and flute it.
aacdragon

Post by aacdragon »

Sorry everyone, I know this is a very old post. But I go through this every once in a while to see what Noveske is doing on the 300 lately.
I have a chrome lined 300 and love the hell out of it. I actually wanted a chrome lined over a stainless just to be different and have what I wanted. It took me a long time to find one and that's what made the hunt for it so much more pleasing. LGS could get me stainless barreled 300's left and right when I was in the market for one....but now one chrome lined available anywhere.
So I finally found one on Gun Broker. New never used and Oh my Gosh it was first time ever on Gun Broker so I had to learn what to do in a hurry since it was last day for the sale to end.
This was a joint effort with my family and I since we had a small getaway vacation in a nearby place to get away from it all and instead they joined in and said.....let's get the Noveske instead. It was a thrill to be bidding and to see if I would win the bid.
We won!!! OMG it was such an exciting moment and I was able to get the dream rifle I wanted. An Noveske 16" NSR with chrome lined barrel.
Purpose of the rifle was to hunt deer. My 5.56 has taken plenty of deer but now with the 300 BLK I feel better hunting deer with the Trijicon 300 BLK sight on top. Most of my shots have to be very quick since I hunt a very heavy wooded area. So the chrome lined barrel was what I wanted.
Of course long range hunting I use my stainless steel barreled 240 Weatherby Mag and it is super accurate. I don't even have to do the yearly sighting in of the rifle. But I do more heavily wooded hunting since it is more challenging and I have to find the deer.
But sorry for the very late chime in on this post. But for those looing for a chrome lined 300....all I can say is I love my Noveske 300 with chrome lined barrel.
I shot an elephant wearing my pants

aacdragon
Rooter pig
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Rooter pig »

I just talked to noveske about a chrome lined 300 bo barrel and they said the don't offer it anymore. Said they had 30,000 rounds through a ss 300 and it just started loosing accuracy.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

"As soon as I get mine in stainless, I'll start on the wearing out task. :lol:"

I see that 4 years ago I posted the above. Been working ever since on wearing out a stainless (416R) Blackout bbl from Core15. I'll not make this a long post, but will say my firing regimen is 5 shots and let the bbl cool. Take throat wear so far, divide into 1" and multiply by rounds fired = rounds needed to wear the bbl throat 1". 1" is US Military standard for bbls under 50 caliber for accuracy (not match shooting) (this has proven true for the 3 30 caliber bbls in 30-06 that I've worn out). Of course if my accuracy fails before then, the bbl is worn out. This also assumes the bbl wear continues at the same slow rate after the first 10-50 rounds break-in of the bbl.

Core15 416R Blackout bbl: 12,540 round calculated bbl life

PSA FN CHF CMV chrome lined Blackout bbl: 22,667 rounds calculated bbl life

And just for fun, here's one more: Remington M700 4140 non-treated Blackout bbl: 11,820 rounds calculated bbl life

I've love to have a Noveske chrome lined Blackout bbl. I do have a Noveske 416R Blackout bbl, but not a lot of rounds through it, so this calculation is preliminary and may not be accurate, but 14,420 rounds bbl life.