Pmags fail to drop free

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

barrelhead

Pmags fail to drop free

Post by barrelhead »

I bought a CMMG carbine a couple of months ago and just recently found time to get out and shoot it. For the most part I'm happy, but Magpul Pmags, including the one supplied by CMMG do not drop free when I push the release. The Pmags also are a little difficult to insert the last half inch or so. I haven't found time to investigate the issue on the bench yet, but I'm thinking the magazine catch first. BTW, my C Products GI mags DO drop free and are easy to insert. Is anybody aware of any dimensional differences between the two mags? Does anyone have any suggestions where/what to investigate other than the catch or magwell/magazines? As an aside, it wouldn't cycle 220gr subs reliably either, but I only had one load (PNW) to test. I imagine that might be rectified by rolling my own subs or trying a couple of other factory loads. Seems to be a pretty nice piece otherwise. Thanks in advance from a 300blktalk noob!
KingIX
Silent But Deadly

Re: Pmags fail to drop free

Post by KingIX »

some time you can lossen the mag catch a turn or two
And it can help
barrelhead

Post by barrelhead »

Thanks King, I'll give it a try and let you know.
barrelhead

Post by barrelhead »

Ok, finally got around to checking into it further. I backed out the mag catch until it disappeared entirely from the mag well when depressed. The PMags still are difficult to insert and extract. Since AR magwells aren't straight, I can't really rely on calipers. So, going by feel alone, and a piece of masking tape applied to the magazine to gauge depth, it seems the internal magwell dimensions are too tight - at least for PMags. The good news is: I have only one AR in 5.56/223 and only one in 300 blk. And the same number of Pmags and GI mags, and, the GI mags work perfectly well in the CMMG. So the GI mags will be dedicated to 300 blk and the PMags to (Doublestar) 5.56/223. At least there won't be any mix-ups in the dark when things go bump in the night (tactile ID). I guess I'll call CMMG and give them the opportunity to make it right.
dead-bird
Silent But Deadly

Post by dead-bird »

Might try an E mag.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Are there any burrs on the lower reciever at the top of the magwell?

There should be marks now on the body of the pmags to indicate exactly where the magwell is tight, you can also simply remove the upper and insert the mag and discover the tight area as well. Seperating the upper and lower should easily allow calipers to be used to measure the width/length of the magwell opening.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
Waveman
Silent Operator

Post by Waveman »

Your mag well is to tight. If metal mags work and magpuls don't you need to have it checked. I have a lower with same problem.
barrelhead

Post by barrelhead »

You're right Waveman, I did pay attention to any marks on the (new out of the package) PMag and it appears to be making contact on the left and right sides. :|
Scorpion rider
Silent Operator

Post by Scorpion rider »

My lowers have probs with 1st gen pmags dropping free, but gen 2 & 3 and gi mags work fine. The gen 1 pmags are tight on the sides. It's the same on my AAC lower as well as my others. It is normal on 1st gen pmags.
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

I had a CMMG lower that did the same thing. I called CMMG and explained the problem. They told me to send it back and they exchanged it for another. The new one drops various brands with no issues.