Removing Rockset 51T Blackout flash hider?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

KneverKnew
Senior Silent Operator

Removing Rockset 51T Blackout flash hider?

Post by KneverKnew »

Yep. What the subject says. Installed the 51T with Rockset that came with the barrel/flash hider combo. Now I have a silencer I want to thread onto the barrel and need to remove flash hider. It won't budge and I've just about rounded off the small flats located behind the ratchet teeth. I've used a blow torch to heat it up and some Balistol to penetrate threads. Still wont move.

I hear soaking in water 24 hours can soften the rockset for easy removal. Is this true? Should that hurt barrel? I'd just stick muzzle end in a can of water just to cover the threads.
thecameraman79
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Removing Rockset 51T Blackout flash hider?

Post by thecameraman79 »

rockset is good till 2,000 degrees so don't bother with heat. Water I've heard works but haven't done it to mine. Make sure you clamp it securely in a vice and it helps if you have the flash hider removal tool. I know it sounds like a waste but it'll help in the long run.

http://www.advanced-armament.com/BLACKO ... p_477.html
KneverKnew wrote:Yep. What the subject says. Installed the 51T with Rockset that came with the barrel/flash hider combo. Now I have a silencer I want to thread onto the barrel and need to remove flash hider. It won't budge and I've just about rounded off the small flats located behind the ratchet teeth. I've used a blow torch to heat it up and some Balistol to penetrate threads. Still wont move.

I hear soaking in water 24 hours can soften the rockset for easy removal. Is this true? Should that hurt barrel? I'd just stick muzzle end in a can of water just to cover the threads.
pvanwagner
Silent But Deadly

Post by pvanwagner »

thecameraman79 wrote:rockset is good till 2,000 degrees so don't bother with heat. Water I've heard works but haven't done it to mine. Make sure you clamp it securely in a vice and it helps if you have the flash hider removal tool. I know it sounds like a waste but it'll help in the long run.

http://www.advanced-armament.com/BLACKO ... p_477.html
KneverKnew wrote:Yep. What the subject says. Installed the 51T with Rockset that came with the barrel/flash hider combo. Now I have a silencer I want to thread onto the barrel and need to remove flash hider. It won't budge and I've just about rounded off the small flats located behind the ratchet teeth. I've used a blow torch to heat it up and some Balistol to penetrate threads. Still wont move.

The Flash Hider Tool is a must. Also if you're working on an AR:

Use either a Geiselle Reaction Rod ($99) or the Brownells barrel extension tool ($39.99) http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 27452.aspx

For less than $80 use the correct tools and don't risk cracking your upper. Heat will do you no good. Water will attack Rocksett not heat.
onerifle

Post by onerifle »

Reply above is great. Also, ATF is the basis of all creep agents. Just buy a quart of it for much less.

We use it for everything from tough nuts to unseizing an engine that's been sitting for years.
IMGrunt
Silent But Deadly

Post by IMGrunt »

ATF?
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." -- Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army
pvanwagner
Silent But Deadly

Post by pvanwagner »

IMGrunt wrote:ATF?
Automatic Transmission Fluid
pvanwagner
Silent But Deadly

Post by pvanwagner »

Not the government agents but they do creep around some too.
KneverKnew
Senior Silent Operator

Post by KneverKnew »

pvanwagner wrote:
Automatic Transmission Fluid
OH! Thanks.

I tried soaking for 24 hours in water, but no go. Of course, I was still trying to use the flats, and I don't seem to have any wrenches that fit them perfectly, especially now that the ends of the flats are starting to round over. Maybe someone with the "tool" would be willing to loan it to me?

Maybe I'll just post this barrel for sale, used. I plan on putting a SBR barrel on anyway, now that I got my Form 1 back.
WalterGA
Silent But Deadly

Post by WalterGA »

I'm using thread-on suppressors. However, if I decide to go with the quick-release/flash hider route in the future, would either 642 (sleeve retainer) or 271 Loctite work, in lieu of Rockset? Either could be removed with heat.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

You won't get it off only using the flats.
You need the flash hider removal tool AAC makes.
The Geiselle reaction rod is what you clamp your vice onto and you will be able to put more torque onto the flash hider with breaking your upper.

Water will not hurt an AAC barrel for removal of flash hider.

If you want to sell the removal tool when you are done with it post it in the classifieds here. At least you will get your money back.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk