AAC 51t adapter issue

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jcrjr65

AAC 51t adapter issue

Post by jcrjr65 »

Running a 7.62 on a 300 BLK pistol AR platform I bought last year, using the 51T brake. Yeah, i got a little wobble in it, no big deal. Have used this same can on a couple of different bolt actions without a problem. Ran about 10 rounds through it yesterday for the first time on the AR pistol and was practically giddy about how well it performed. Took it inside to switch it on to one of the bolt guns, and when I stood the can up on its end, i noticed some material that fell out on to the bench. Turns out, not only was it a little carbon, there was some copper pieces as well. Looking in the can as best I could without a scope, I can see where some of the baffles have been damaged slightly. Looks more like wear than actual damage. No sign of any impact at the muzzle of the can. Nothing during the shot indicated a problem. Havent even put sights on this rig cuz i was basically just shooting it to see how the sound reduction would be, which is awesome. So, decided to paper these rounds without the can like I should have done in the first place, and it was perfect. Ran the can on a bolt gun using a different and already installed 51t and it papered perfect. Figured it must be the threading on the upper itself. Came across an extra 51t and thought I would replace the adapter I have been using on the AR pistol and give it another try. Switched it out, loaded a couple of rounds and it ran perfect! Truthfully, I cannot recall whether the apparent faulty adapter had been installed and used or not, I just hadnt paid that close attention. So, I will send the can back with the adapter and let AAC take a look at it and see what they say, but it appears to be a problem with the 51t. Not posting to knock AAC in any way, just venting a little practical knowledge for someone else to take advantage of. #1-Paper all rounds before mounting can. #2-Paper using can to potentially spot a problem not indicated otherwise. There was nothing indicating a problem, but I bet I would have noticed the wild POI. #3-Just writing all of this down gave me better understanding of what transpired. Not a big fan of keeping journals, but this experience would have been a good entry. If I find out something wonky from AAC, will post what they tell me.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC 51t adapter issue

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

Is ACC operating at the moment? I thought they stopped doing business, and was just wondering if you have info that they are operating at any capacity at the moment.

If not, I am wondering if any other company might be able to service that suppressor. I've heard of others doing it on other forums, but I cannot remember the name of the company that would do that. Others here might be able to chime in with more info.
jcrjr65

Post by jcrjr65 »

Uh, well, thansk for that. I see now there has been a spinoff of their ownership but they are indeed operating in some capacity. Pardon my ignorance but I suppose this is what happens when you go off grid for a while. Will advise.
MPWfritz

Post by MPWfritz »

The old website is still working. I contacted support about looking at a suppressor for warranty or repair. He put me on the list to get back to me in March 2022. That is when they will be able to work on cans. Thats all I know. You need to email them and get on the list.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

Thanks for the heads up. I hope they start manufacturing the Adapters again.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

jcrjr65 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:23 am Uh, well, thansk for that. I see now there has been a spinoff of their ownership but they are indeed operating in some capacity. Pardon my ignorance but I suppose this is what happens when you go off grid for a while. Will advise.
Ecco Machine does suppressor re-baffling and also can change the AAC cans from 51t mount to about any other mount you’d like to have.

They have quite a long wait list.
MPWfritz

Post by MPWfritz »

Honestly something similar happened to me at the range when I first shot mine. The gun shop mentioned it felt funny locking up with the MPW and the Sdn6 both new waiting for me. At the time, many years ago I am sure there were some warnings about smoothing on the threads for some.

Yes i did have something small fall out and it was like a bur / small shard - there is no sign of damage anywhere in my good borescopes. I believe it was the flashhider that was mainly smoothed and not so much the can. In any case there were no more indications or signs of trouble after that.