paperwork process?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ely

paperwork process?

Post by ely »

could you guys give me a run down on the paperwork process of obtaining a silencer. i am just getting into this area of firearms. i have seen several mentions of form ones and form 4s . just have no clue. thanks for any info you can share. ely.
slowfire
Senior Silent Operator

Re: paperwork process?

Post by slowfire »

ely wrote:could you guys give me a run down on the paperwork process of obtaining a silencer. i am just getting into this area of firearms. i have seen several mentions of form ones and form 4s . just have no clue. thanks for any info you can share. ely.
1. Live in a suppressor-friendly state
2. Find a Dealer
3. Pay for a suppressor the Dealer has in stock
3.a If the Dealer doesn't have one in stock, wait months while the dealer does paperwork to obtain silencer from a distributor or manufacturer
4. The Dealer will give you a Form 4 with his info and the suppressor info on it
5. Get fingerprinted and get photos taken
6. Get your CLEO to sign your forms
6.a Or go thr trust route, of which I know nothing
7. Send everything to the ATF with a $200 check
8. Wait like 5 months for the dealer to receive your approved paperwork
9. Pick up your suppressor and enjoy
SpaceWrangler
Silent But Deadly

Post by SpaceWrangler »

You'll learn tons by reading here for a couple days...

Click: www.silencertalk.com
ely

Post by ely »

thanks for the info.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

Suppressor purchase needs to be done through a reliable dealer who has been in business for long enough to have your money locked up till the can is where you can take possession. I did one by way of a local dealer who was not known to be a partner of the main operator in another town. I passed the local shop one day and it was locked up. Created a bit of anxiety till I was able to track down who had my suppressor.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

Going to a dealer that is reputable and familiar with the process can save a lot of headaches. It can be as simple as going to the dealer and purchasing the item (+200 dollars to the overlords) and then signing a bunch of papers, them taking your picture and finger prints, signing more papers, and then waiting for around 8 months and signing more papers and leaving with your item. Some dealers take care of all of the other BS involed and you literally only need to do what is described above, which all happens at the dealer and makes your life very easy.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

I found a reputable, but expensive (extra $150.00) suppressor knowledgeable attorney to make a legit firearms trust that can be transferred to my wife in case I "buy the farm". Mine was done before the ATF came out with the, I think it is called, a 4F form/regulation. Some people were trying to use a general, online type trust that from what I have heard ATF frowns on now. A trust has some advantages as you can put SBR or multiple of cans on it too. Makes taking possession of all these items easier if you die. Most general type attorneys would be afraid of loosing their license if they were responsible for selling these things if you were not around. If you tried to sell it yourself most buyers don't want to trust you for 6-8 months with their
money while they go through paperwork. Might be possible to go through a suppressor dealer that can hold money and can till the buyers paperwork clears. You can call ATF and ask them. Going through an attorney's trust account and the attorney might could handle the money part as long as they don't physically have the can. Their trust account is regulated by the state in is a secure way to transact business.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.