loud / quiet

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

PaulK

loud / quiet

Post by PaulK »

I've been looking at a suppressor and reading a bit about it. Appears that, by using it, the volume can be reduced to about 120 db with subsonic ammo.

Watching youtubes people seem to refer to 120 - 130 db as "safe" without ear protection.
Using an app on my phone I I found that my brother's circular saw runs at about 100 db and I would definitely not call that safe without ear protection. It feels loud. It hurts a bit without putting my fingers in my ears.

I'm not trying to question people's judgment but more trying to understand. I know there's a difference between sustained volume and instantaneous. Is that all that's going on here? Is 120 db more or less safe for an instant?

As much as the safety aspect, I'm also trying to get a feel for how quiet the thing would actually sound. It's not uncommon for people in the videos I've seen to speak as though it sounds a bit like a pellet gun or something. That's hard to understand if 120 db is accurate.

Can anyone shed some light on the whole thing for me?

Thanks,
-Paul
gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: loud / quiet

Post by gds »

First of all a phone Decibel app is about as useless as Joe Biden as a daycare worker.

Secondly, Safe, meaning not causing damage, and Uncomfortable, are not the same for all people.

A sound may be loud and uncomfortable, but that does not mean it is causing Damage to one's ears. At the same time to some people a sound may not be painful to hear, yet it is causing damage.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

What I believe is that if a noise causes ringing of the ears there is some amount of damage. It might not be much but is cumulative over time and lessens your resistance to loud noises. Some truck drivers have hearing loss only into one ear, usually the left from driving miles and miles with the window down. I use to go dove hunting. Not unusual to shoot 2 boxes of shells a day with no hearing protection. I was beginning to have trouble hearing. I had my hearing check a few years ago by an audiologist and recorded a 30% high frequency hearing loss and was told it was from loud noises.

Something else. There is a difference between supersonic and sub-sonic. Subs make the pellet rifle sound with a can as they don't have the supersonic crack of breaking the sound barrier. Having an AR, the bolt closing is loud. If I shoot an AR suppressed, it is with the gas block set so the bolt stays closed.

The take away is to do all you can to protect your hearing as once lost, it cannot easily be recovered.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
Shushh

Post by Shushh »

Seems to me the question you're really asking is 'is it possible to be hearing safe and what does it take'.

My answer is a very good can with subsonic ammo and a single shot rifle. Put those together the the sound is roughly equal to hitting a 2x4 with rubber mallet. Even with a good can and subs the action of a semi auto isn't hearing safe. The AR is probably the quietest of them and I've done some things to quiet mine, but I'm not ready to say it's hearing safe. An AR with a god can, subs, and the gas turned off at the gas block though is.
silverhawk500

Post by silverhawk500 »

It is a time dependent function. Sound of 90 Db's is considered safe, which it is for 8 hrs or less per day. 120 Db is safe outside, in an open field, on a warm dry day, for many 20-30 in rapid succession, while the same 120 Db in an enclosed room doing a mag dump will cause some injury to your hearing. It is a matter of Db's, frequency of noise, and duration, and add to that environmental factors such as temp, humidity, and location. As stated above pain is not an indicator of damage, many months ago I went out and fired a 40 SW, 165 gr, 2 15 round mags, and said to myself- my plugs must be loose because it seemed louder than normal. The plugs were in my pocket, but I have acquired so much damage over the last 60 years secondary to noise, and surgery that I have a significant deficit and always use plugs and muffs with any unsuppressed weapon, chain saws, lawn mower, weed wacker, etc. Once you lose it you can not get it back, and it occurs slowly over time. So subsonic at 120-130 Db will injure your hearing if you do multiple mag dumps trying to set the gun on fire. Google NIHL and you will find all the information you seek. Be Safe,
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

Hearing damage is all about a time-dose equation. 120 dB constant noise is extremely loud. 120 dB impulse noise for 100 microseconds is very quiet. You can't compare constant noise to impulse noise.

As an example, 110 dB is the quietest possible suppressed gunshot (suppressed 22 rifle) and is basically the noise of the firing pin drop. 110 dB constant noise is deafening.

The OSHA level for hearing damage from impulse noise is 140 dB. Pretty much all silenced gunshots will be at or below that level.