Setup for 300blk

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

smf834

Setup for 300blk

Post by smf834 »

So i am completely new to this caliber, but i have done reloding on other calibers before.

What is a good setup to utilize this caliber suppressed? I have a 308 and 9mm can (sub >8” barrel) that i could use.
Bolt or ar with no gas? Any other build tips or tricks?
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Re: Setup for 300blk

Post by golfindia »

SBR a contender or encore frame.
Blackout!
Silent Operator

Post by Blackout! »

A bolt action 300 BLK is something to behold. I think I have had pellet guns louder than this. Currently, CDNN Sports has a barrel for a Mod 7 or 700 for $99. I’m sure this is probably the same barrel on my Mod 7. (Gunsmithing required).

Too many AR options to discuss. Lot of people with 9.5” to 11.5” barrels are very happy with their setup. Me included.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

It will also depend on what you want to do with it

Target plinking, hunting, safe queen, truck gun, speed shooting or loading to make clover leaves.

Use the 308 suppressor (think I read that right) it will probably have more volume and smaller diameter exit to hold gases longer and give you the best chance for a quieter shot.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

My first recommendation for an AR would be a pistol length gas system if you intend to run subs. A 16" pistol length gas AR with a suppressor should run down to 150 grain subs, and fully cycle if you use the right powder. You can get down to even lower weight bullets if you lighten your buffer or BCG.

The next thing I would recommend an adjustable gas block. It isn't going to get you any more gas. Many people mistake thinking that adding one is going to get you more gas to cycle your lightweight subs. Thats not true. Your gas system is already wide open. One of the major reasons you use the adjustable gas block to bleed off and limit the amount of gas coming back. That way you reduce recoil, reduce gas in your face, and that also allows you to also run lighter buffers, BCGs, and buffer springs without having a system that is overgassed for said components. Finally, one of my favorite reasons for the adjustable gas block is to turn off the gas and run your AR like a single shot bolt gun. Run a lightweight sub with the gas off and you will be BB gun quiet.