Specific Suppressor for 300 Blackout?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

noname
Silent Operator

Re: Specific Suppressor for 300 Blackout?

Post by noname »

Batman24 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:35 pm I just got my YHM resonator and it's bad ass for 300 blk. Supers are hearing safe
Hearing safe with supers?? How was this determined?
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

I did a search on 300BlkTalk and came up with these older posts. Very informative from members and former members. search.php?keywords=hearing+loss+from+loud+noise

My experience. and I have been shooting a rifle or shotgun for 55+ years. I had my hearing checked because of tinitis (ringing in my ears). The audiologist exam reported a 25% high frequency hearing loss from loud noises. The examiner told me if a noise was loud enough to cause ringing in my ears there was some amount of permanent, cumulative hearing loss. Might have not been noticeable when I was 20 but is now.

Humans get a small amount of hearing loss by way of bone conduction in their jaw as well as from the bones around their ears.

I cannot blame it all on guns as I use to race cars with no muffler.

You younger folks need to not think it is macho to shoot without multiple hearing protection.

Bolt guns are quieter than an AR as you do not have the clang of the bolt closing. Plus most bolt guns have a longer barrel. Limit shooting super-fast or high caliber rifles like 300 Winmags or Barrett 50 cals. I use to hunt with a 25-06. Very loud.
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

I'm lucky enough suppressors are cheap and unregulated here so a 300blk specific suppressor is a thing.
I find them to have a smaller internal volume than that designed for a 308. More likely one made for a 223 and bored larger, infact I have done this they've also tend to be a muzzle forward.

Are they better at dealing with gas than my muzzle back 308 suppressor...I'm undesided. 300 by having a smaller powder load has less gas to deal with.
The thud on the 308 is always heavier but is it louder I dont think it's by much.

2 things I won't do again with suppressors is go stainless steel, they are unnecessarily heavy for hunting and I won't go muzzle forward again, I can use a reflex that adds only 2 inches to overall length and it weighs 14-16oz.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

Walkers Bay wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:31 pm I'm lucky enough suppressors are cheap and unregulated here so a 300blk specific suppressor is a thing.
I find them to have a smaller internal volume than that designed for a 308. More likely one made for a 223 and bored larger, infact I have done this they've also tend to be a muzzle forward.

Are they better at dealing with gas than my muzzle back 308 suppressor...I'm undesided. 300 by having a smaller powder load has less gas to deal with.
The thud on the 308 is always heavier but is it louder I dont think it's by much.

2 things I won't do again with suppressors is go stainless steel, they are unnecessarily heavy for hunting and I won't go muzzle forward again, I can use a reflex that adds only 2 inches to overall length and it weighs 14-16oz.
Something else to stay away from is anything with aluminum parts. Next to impossible to clean and using the "dip" can kill you. Strangely enough, a really clean can is not necessary so I've heard.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

noname wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:50 pm
Walkers Bay wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:31 pm I'm lucky enough suppressors are cheap and unregulated here so a 300blk specific suppressor is a thing.

Something else to stay away from is anything with aluminum parts with lead fouling. Next to impossible to clean and using the "dip" can kill you. Strangely enough, a really clean can is not necessary so I've heard. Using "the dip" on anything creates lead acetate making aluminum especially susceptible,
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

noname wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:50 pm

Something else to stay away from is anything with aluminum parts. Next to impossible to clean and using the "dip" can kill you. Strangely enough, a really clean can is not necessary so I've heard.
"Dip"???
I beg to differ with regards to aluminium parts. Now I know y'all want a suppressor to last for ever and work on every gun you own from 45-70 to a .22 pistol. However ive used aluminium ones for years now. So you got me interested to see how much wear they have now. There is currently 308 DPT suppressors of different ages at home today so I cracked them all open for a look. They've all had full velocity hunting ammo and there is no carbon lumps or pile build up to speak of. I think the oldest is 5 or 600 rounds old. That one has a bit of carbon that you can wipe off and colour your finger, it also has the slightest first baffle erosion. Still has thousands of rounds left before I'd worry and swap it down the stack, but if I was way way worse I could always fit a stainless first baffle.
I opened a monocore .22 one too, it was a bit grubby but its had 10k rounds at a conservative estimate.

Anyway back on subject, just like engines more cylinder volume the better.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

The "dip" is a very good and easy to use cleaner of suppressor parts. You just end up with lead acetate a highly toxic waste, from lead deposits in your suppressors, that can be absorbed thru the skin. It also eats aluminum. I have a .22 cal aluminum can that I gave up trying to clean with a wire brush and dental pick that scratches aluminum trying to get lead deposits off. By now it is probably a solid mass but still works. I do not use the dip. A soda blaster is not in my budget and don't know for sure if it works that well, especially with aluminum.

I wish the USA was not so paranoid about cans. Anything related to a firearm is considered by the unknowing masses bad. One if my sisters, who spent her married life in Washington State, is afraid to even look at, or be in the same room with any type of firearm. Left Coast indoctrination.

It is legal to hunt with them in my home state of NC but most of my hunting is bird hunting with shotguns at my age and a can is useless with them. I have five suppressors, from years past that I shoot at targets and various steel simulated game animals.

The odds of any firearm leniency laws getting through the liberals (they like to be called progressive now) in Congress is remote in my lifetime. They lie from their not knowing ignorance. Anything "AR" or "AK" is a military firearm not suitable for civilians. A legal, semi-automatic firearm is called by them an automatic, implying gangster fully automatic. The unknowing do not know the difference.

How do you clean your cans?
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

How do I clean my cans.... I dont, well the outside gets a wipe with the rifle during a good clean and that's mostly to get blood or mud off.
For the most expensive one I have it was $420 nz from memory, so about $300usd, if I change rifle I may hang onto it but will probably just start fresh.
I have got a Chinessiumn mostley muzzle forward (1 inch back) on my 300blk that the rifle came with it, I think I will sell that online and buy a newer NZ made DPT one. I will be lighter and make the over all of the rifle shorter, (2-3 inch longer) Haven't decided if I'll get them to take 3 or 4 inches off the barrel yet or not too.