Is shooting a 300 BO through a .40 pistol can OK

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

noname
Silent Operator

Is shooting a 300 BO through a .40 pistol can OK

Post by noname »

One of my first suppressors was a Yankee Hill Cobra M2 in .40 pistol can. Bought it 12-14 years ago. It is a heavy steel stake driver of a can. One of my 300 BOs is a heavy barrel bolt gun so weight is not an issue. My gut feeling is as long as the caliber is larger than the bullet I would be OK. Anyone have a fault with this logic?
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Is shooting a 300 BO through a .40 pistol can OK

Post by dellet »

noname wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:16 pm One of my first suppressors was a Yankee Hill Cobra M2 in .40 pistol can. Bought it 12-14 years ago. It is a heavy steel stake driver of a can. One of my 300 BOs is a heavy barrel bolt gun so weight is not an issue. My gut feeling is as long as the caliber is larger than the bullet I would be OK. Anyone have a fault with this logic?
You also need to consider muzzle pressure and what the can is rated for. Most likely it’s ok, but without knowing the load barrel length and what the can is rated for, it’s impossible to say. Most 9mm cans are rated for subs but not supers.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

dellet wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:47 pm
noname wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:16 pm One of my first suppressors was a Yankee Hill Cobra M2 in .40 pistol can. Bought it 12-14 years ago. It is a heavy steel stake driver of a can. One of my 300 BOs is a heavy barrel bolt gun so weight is not an issue. My gut feeling is as long as the caliber is larger than the bullet I would be OK. Anyone have a fault with this logic?
You also need to consider muzzle pressure and what the can is rated for. Most likely it’s ok, but without knowing the load barrel length and what the can is rated for, it’s impossible to say. Most 9mm cans are rated for subs but not supers.
Thanks. I only shoot this suppressed subsonic with my reloads. This rifle barrel is 18".

Another problem. I have 5 cans, one of which (this one) has a 9/16 adapter and need a 5/8 which is on another gun. I am real careful making sure the hole in the adapter is big enough for the bullet to pass through. I have not used this can in a couple years. In fact, since we moved, I have not had to use all of them at once. We spent a lot of time traveling in our camper. What shooting I did was with my stockpile of reloads. Moving has been really tough getting all my gun/reloading stuff sorted out. Our move into the current house does not have a spare room big enough for everything. Stuff is spread out between two rooms, one of which is downstairs. Bad knees limit number of trips a day too. Spent most of today trying to find my universal reloading wrench and a battery for my calipers. Thankfully I have a backup mechanical set but no backup wrench.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

You will have no problems shooting subsonic 300 BLK from an 18” rifle barrel thru a .40 pistol can.
"rjacobs" quote removed at "rjacobs" request.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i would contact YHM first - be a damn shame to void your warranty over something as simple as not making a phone call or even better sending an email to them (then you have it in writing)

im sure it'll be fine, but cant hurt to make sure you're not putting yourself in a bad spot
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.