Quieting AR Action

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Shushh

Quieting AR Action

Post by Shushh »

I'm after tips or thoughts on quieting the AR action. I can shut off my gas port and I'm rather quiet, but enough gas to cycle the action and it's too loud again. My next step I think is to get a lighter BCG so that it'll cycle using less gas.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Quieting AR Action

Post by dellet »

Are you loading or buying your ammo?

If loading, I would consider a powder change depending on what you are using.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I Lube my buffer spring and tube. Grease is your friend. Much quieter.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

I’ve used a JP silent recoil spring and it helps quite a lot.

But you’ll always have the sound of the BCG slamming forward.
Shushh

Post by Shushh »

dellet wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:55 am Are you loading or buying your ammo?

If loading, I would consider a powder change depending on what you are using.
No I'm not loading 300blk yet. I intend to soon and have read your posts on the subject.
Shushh

Post by Shushh »

I already use the JP SCS setup.

The most offending noise appears to be a kind of port pop. The gas pop from the action opening is a lot louder then then just the sound of the bolt slamming home. The loudest sound I assume is from the gas released when the bolt opens to the ports in the carrier. My best guess on how to improve that is to lighten the BCG so less gas pressure is needed to cycle the action. But that has it's downsides on lock time and reliability. Looking for opinions.

I have a second reason to reduce mass though. I'm using a Seekins select adjustable gas block. This allows me to turn the gas on and off quickly. However there isn't enough quick adjustment to go from off to cycling subs. Maybe if I can get the gas needs low enough though there will be.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Bolt action? One that takes AR type mags. I think I saw a scout rifle that does but I don't remember ever seeing one chambered in 300BLK. Maybe now they exist? But a new barrel is easy enough for a gunsmith to install.

Or a single shot like a Contender or Encore. Buy the barrel you want.

I have no idea what you have planned for the AR, but if it's not a competition/range rifle I personally wouldn't want to play around with BCG mass and lesser amounts of gas. But I live in a cold climate and things can get real touchy in the cold. You could also use an adjustable weight buffer to lessen mass. KAK makes a fairly affordable one ($40?).
Shushh

Post by Shushh »

BJK wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:38 pm Bolt action? One that takes AR type mags. I think I saw a scout rifle that does but I don't remember ever seeing one chambered in 300BLK. Maybe now they exist? But a new barrel is easy enough for a gunsmith to install.

Or a single shot like a Contender or Encore. Buy the barrel you want.

I have no idea what you have planned for the AR, but if it's not a competition/range rifle I personally wouldn't want to play around with BCG mass and lesser amounts of gas. But I live in a cold climate and things can get real touchy in the cold. You could also use an adjustable weight buffer to lessen mass. KAK makes a fairly affordable one ($40?).
My AR is already effectively a bolt action that takes AR mags. It takes all of a second to turn off my gas port, if I want to take it further I have a Kali-key I can swap in. With the gas off and Kali-key in it's functionally a movie quiet bolt action. At issue is quieting it further while keeping it semi.

The JP setup I have is adjustable weight, but that only goes so far, to go lighter I need a lighter carrier. Unless there's some strong reason not to I'm going to buy one, just haven't decided which yet and things are crazy out of stock and overpriced right now.
Blackout!
Silent Operator

Post by Blackout! »

Unless it’s a single shot or bolt action, a cycling BCG causes noise. Fortunately, a BCG chambering a round is slightly less offensive than that of an empty chamber.
Shushh

Post by Shushh »

A bit of an update....
I got a titanium carrier, this was a big improvement. Not only does it need less gas to cycle but it doesn't slam into battery as hard and rings less.