Muzzle to Handguard Clearance

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

gnumadic

Muzzle to Handguard Clearance

Post by gnumadic »

I am about to order my first suppressor. I'm leaning toward a Dead Air Nomad 30 or Nomad L.

https://deadairsilencers.com/products/nomad/

The can will be for my 300BLK, 308, and 6.5 Grendel. There's plenty of muzzle to handguard clearance on the latter two, but on the 300BLK it's really tight. I'm concerned that with some suppressors/mounts I might not have enough clearance.

The pistol has an 8" Ballistic Advantage barrel and a 7" BCM MCMR handguard. However, the flare on the handguard tip makes the actual length 7.39". You'll see in the picture that the crush washer is right there at the tip of the handguard. Inside clearance is 1.3".

I will start with just the direst thread option on the Nomad, but eventually I'd like to add a KeyMo mount. Is there anyone with either of these set-ups who could say if the above would be a problem for clearance? I know the Nomad is fat at 1.735", but it tapers at the rear to standard 1.5". And the direct thread mount appears to extend from the suppressor rear and is narrower than the body, so I'm hoping it's enough to fit in the 1.3" handguard ID where it overlaps the back of the muzzle threads.

I won't be using a crush washer with the KeyMo mount, but I would plan to use something like a Precision Armament Accu-washer. That might help some with the clearance when using a KeyMo adapter.
--
“Freedom is living without government coercion. So when a politician talks about freedom for this group or that, ask yourself whether he is advocating more government action or less.” - Ron Paul
gnumadic

Re: Muzzle to Handguard Clearance

Post by gnumadic »

I think I got a good enough answer from Dead Air to proceed. I emailed them and got a quick response.
The hex extension protrudes about .220" from the rear of the mount. The direct thread adapters have spanner wrench slots on the sides that may help out with your setup.

The Keymo adapter will help out, as you don't even need to interface with the Keymo itself. You can attach and remove the suppressor just by gripping the Nomad's body.
.220" ought to be enough to keep the rear of the suppressor from touching the handguard. Worst case scenario is that I can take a Dremel to it, or just choose to buy an 8.5" barrel. Although, the look I am going for is more of that continuous flow from handguard to suppressor (without having to use a fat handguard to overlap the can).

UPDATE:

I replied to their email and included a picture. Great customer service from Dead Air!
Looking at that photo, I think it will fit!

Thanks for reaching out!
--
“Freedom is living without government coercion. So when a politician talks about freedom for this group or that, ask yourself whether he is advocating more government action or less.” - Ron Paul
gnumadic

Post by gnumadic »

Dead Air Nomad-L order placed on Friday with Silencer Shop. It was such an easy process using their website and kiosk (although the fingerprinting was a little hard at first). Form 3 was electronically sent yesterday. And now the long wait begins...
--
gnumadic

Post by gnumadic »

gnumadic wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:15 pm Dead Air Nomad-L order placed on Friday with Silencer Shop. It was such an easy process using their website and kiosk (although the fingerprinting was a little hard at first). Form 3 was electronically sent yesterday. And now the long wait begins...
6/19/20 - Order w/Silencer Shop
6/29/20 - Form 3 delivered to dealer
7/23/20 - Form 4 (Single Shot Trust): Tax Stamp Cashed

I'll set the O/U for the stamp to be received at 275 days. What's your pick?
--
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I hope you have a short wait. I think the best way to handle it is to expect a long wait, maybe a year, then if it shows up in 6 months you can be happy about it. It's still unconstitutional, but happy nonetheless that the wait wasn't the expected year.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

BJK wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:13 am I hope you have a short wait. I think the best way to handle it is to expect a long wait, maybe a year, then if it shows up in 6 months you can be happy about it. It's still unconstitutional, but happy nonetheless that the wait wasn't the expected year.
All the legal, needles hoops we have to go through is really a pet peeve of mine. Politics and ignorance of suppressors go hand & hand. They are not Hollywood quiet, as most non-gun owners believe. A suppressor, without a gun is no more dangerous than a club an actually is just a fancy pipe that standing alone would not even make a decent club.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

We discussed cans in cardiac rehab a year or so ago and one of the nurses said they were illegal to have, so I brought one in. The hospital allows no weapons. She understood that it wasn't a weapon and that every car in the parking lot had one attached. Her husband didn't believe her that they were legal until he looked it up. Couldn't believe that we live in a free state. Yeah, ignorance.

Rhetorical question... why do people insist on putting the chains on themselves for their would be masters? I just don't get it.
gnumadic

Post by gnumadic »

Completely agree with the frustration and that we the people continue to allow it. The NFA was a model vehicle for continued government expansion of power. It will never end until people stop believing the federal government is the answer to everything. From there it will be a long road to recovery. If marijuana can go from banned, to OK for medicinal purposes, to now being acceptable for recreational use in some states; then I think a similar grassroots effort could prevail with firearms and accessories. It won't happen strictly at the lobbyist level or by posting memes on Instagram. It'll be because the gun community takes the time to invest themselves in their communities.
--
gnumadic

Tax Stamp Tuesday, A Christmas Miracle!!!

Post by gnumadic »

Well, I got a surprise call from my local dealer this morning. My tax stamp was approved in just under six months!

The handguard to suppressor clearance is perfect. This is direct threaded. I'm not going to get into QD mounts anytime soon, but DeadAir's new Xenomorph mount looks interesting. I do also plan to use this can on 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, and .308.

Unfortunately, I don't have any 300 subs (just supers) and they're getting really hard to find (at least locally).
--