Quietest dedicated subsonic suppressor

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Landry308
Elite Industry Professional

Quietest dedicated subsonic suppressor

Post by Landry308 »

Just ordered a Q Mini Fix. I am wanting a dedicated suppressor for SUBSONIC specifically. I am inclined to just keep the gun all Q and get a Thunder Chicken, unless there is something significantly quieter ? FRP is a major concern. It's been a few years since I have done much 300 Blackout shooting, back then most of the 30 cal cans I tried had significant FRP.
Shooting Supplies
Class 3/SOT
Sales, Transfers, Special orders
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: Quietest dedicated subsonic suppressor

Post by BJK »

My understanding is that FRP comes from having oxygen in the can. After the first shot, the can is full of propellant gas and no O2. I can't answer your question directly about other suppressors less prone to FRP, but you might keep a can of "other gas" on hand and fill the suppressor with it before shooting.

FWIW, I went to Amazon and did a search for canned nitrogen gas and found argon wine preservation gas which would do the job.
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

If FRP is a huge issue, a bit of coolant in the blast chamber will eliminate that. Doesn't take much. I have spit in the back of a can. Water or spit is cheaper and more convenient than compressed nitrogen or argon.
Tugnut

Post by Tugnut »

Any updates on this topic?

I'm looking for similar, real-world experience. From my online dive into it, it seems that the CGS Hyperion and TBAC Magnus are the quietest, but that's if you trust manufacturer's 'testing' and pew science. But suppressor manufacturers have a long history of hyperbole, BS, fudging numbers, cat-fighting, and shilling. Whenever money changes hands, dishonesty abounds. So I don't trust them at all.
Tugnut

Post by Tugnut »

Any updates on this topic?

I'm looking for similar, real-world experience. From my online dive into it, it seems that the CGS Hyperion and TBAC Magnus are the quietest, but that's if you trust manufacturer's 'testing' and pew science. But suppressor manufacturers have a long history of hyperbole, BS, fudging numbers, cat-fighting, and shilling. Whenever money changes hands, dishonesty abounds. So I don't trust them at all.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

In a related issue, we used to put a water bottle cap full of water in the can before firing that first round. This was in a Single shot .50 Alaskan. He did this to also demonstrate to other shooters how to do so before taking a stalked game animal. It worked well and I have done so in my 300 BLK with supers and subs.

TR
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I find it easier to develop a load for any given combination.

What’s quietest in a 10” carbine gassed barrel, may be the loudest in a 6” pistol gassed barrel.

Remember that much of what you are hearing as the shooter, is coming out the ejection port and has little to do with the suppressor. That noise is regulated by bolt speed and unlock time.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Tugnut

Post by Tugnut »

dellet wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:53 pm I find it easier to develop a load for any given combination.

What’s quietest in a 10” carbine gassed barrel, may be the loudest in a 6” pistol gassed barrel.

Remember that much of what you are hearing as the shooter, is coming out the ejection port and has little to do with the suppressor. That noise is regulated by bolt speed and unlock time.
Absolutely true when talking about semi-autos. My test beds are a 22" Rem 700 I had rebarreled to 300 Whisper back in 2002 and a Ruger American Ranch rifle. I have the crappiest of crappy 308 suppressors from 1999 (currently being remedied by Ecco), and found I could make even that lousy can sound good with Unique, VVN320, Titegroup, and 700x back in the day.
Tugnut

Post by Tugnut »

So I've had my formerly crappy can back from Ecco for a month now. It is AWESOME now. It is amazingly quiet with subsonic loads out of my RAR and my Howa mini. Half the weight it was before and twice as quiet!

I now have the equivalent of Ecco's 8.5" Accipiter model and I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for a great 30 cal can that sounds great on full power 308 and 6.5 Creed and is even more impressive with sub 300blk!
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I don't know what you're complaining about! Just kidding. That's good to read.