Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jtaylor996
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jtaylor996 »

Last edited by jtaylor996 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: Worth the risk to shoot cast through a can?

Post by BJK »

I can't answer your question, but you can also put machined homogeneous alloy bullets through it.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

a basic ultrasonic cleaner can be had for under $100. i think i paid around $60 or so for mine with one of the 20% off coupons @ hazard fraught (harbor freight)

plus.. being a subsonic shooter.... being able to clean your bolt carrier groups with not much more than a nylon brush and a wipe from a rag is priceless. i disassemble mine, put them in for about 8 mins and its the easiest you'll ever spend cleaning a BCG - you can literally watch the carbon coming off during the tank process. looks like little wisps of smoke coming off of a smoldering piece of wood.

also iffin you have handguns, cleaning them after a swim in the Ultrasonic is a treat.

HTH
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

I've been shooting cast/coated subs for years without issue.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

I shoot powder coated bullets through my Mystic X. They do deposit lead in it. Not much but enough that I decided I'm not going to shoot coated bullets through any of my sealed cans.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

golfindia wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:06 am I shoot powder coated bullets through my Mystic X. They do deposit lead in it. Not much but enough that I decided I'm not going to shoot coated bullets through any of my sealed cans.
which PC bullets?
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

He casts and powder coats his own. I do too. If you reload it's very easy. If the bullet is powder coated, sized and loaded correctly, it should not be an much of an issue for subs.

In 6K+ rounds, my can has added 1 oz of weight, although I cant say if its from the carbon or lead.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode, it's not worth shooting.
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

I use a couple dental pics to gouge out the big chunks but otherwise don't clean my cans. I keep the bore of my cans without buildup. A person is suppose to clean them by weight, if at all. Definitely stay a way from the "dip" unless you want to get poisoned. Aluminum cans are hard to clean as well. It is kind of hard to get rid of the mindset it is not the bore on a gun.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I intend to run my coated bullets through my cans. If I find lead in them I'll give them a 3rd coat for added insurance. Of course they get sized after being coated. If they were traditional cast and lubed, no way. I dislike cleaning a can. I'd rather get a root canal.

If your can doesn't come apart just get it nice and hot and it should self clean with a mag or 2 run through it when hot. Can you put the can on after putting it in a 500°F oven? That's what I'd do to save my barrel and save ammo.