Load development while waiting on suppressor

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Mater_sifu

Load development while waiting on suppressor

Post by Mater_sifu »

Hey guys doing some load development this weekend but I’m still waiting on getting my suppressor back. What are you guys seeing in muzzle velocity rise from no suppressor to having one on. I want to make a load that is a little low from that sub to super sonic mark so when I throw my can on I have an accurate round and still subsonic . Thanks in advance guys.
white devil

Re: Load development while waiting on suppressor

Post by white devil »

Form my 8 inch gun suppressed I like the 208 amax with CFE Black 12.3 @ 2.260 I get 1050fps.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

I used to see around 30 fps difference back when I occasionally shot without a suppressor.

You may want to wait until you have it in hand before loading a gallon zip-loc of your most accurate load. A suppressor can change more than just velocity.
oodnoodn

Post by oodnoodn »

On a 300BLK pistol I've seen no velocity change to about 5 fps increase with the can. I believe the 5 fps increase is statistically insignificant.
RKB731

Post by RKB731 »

My 300 Blackout subs usually gain around 20 fps with a suppressor.
NRA Life Member
HHI # 8053
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"
DEFNOTAFED

Post by DEFNOTAFED »

I'm running a 10.5 300BO SLR build with a ToolCraft BCG with a SOCOM 300 SPS suppressor. I use Accurate 1680 with 208 Hornady A-MAX bullets. I'll get full ejection and cycle of the bolt at 9.8gr of powder. My only concern currently is the direction with which the rounds eject. at 9.8gr they kick out around 4-5o'clock. I want to get more at 3 O'clock so i'll probably go up a bit. Its incredibly quiet. You can have a normal conversation with someone and shoot it and you wont miss a word. I just need to get a chronograph to see what speeds im getting. Ideally id like to be at 1030FPS or however close I can get to just under supersonic. Hope that helps.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

You (or at least I) don't want to develop loads with the can attached anyway. Develop the load to determine if the bullet is stable, then if it is, attach the can and see if anything has changed.

edit: That tip was given to me on this forum. My pistol build, due to the long handguard, I detest short handguards if a longer one is possible, requires something, a blast forwarder, call it what you will, attached to get the blast out from under the handguard. It could be a solvent trap without innards and unthreaded for an endcap. But loads can be developed and proven without the can attached and be perfectly viable once the can is in hand.

Edit: My experience has shown me that any loads developed w/o the can just work better with it attached. Admittedly it has been a small sample of all possible loads. But that has been the experience of folks with far more experience than I have as well. (so I've read)
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

One word -chronograph. Without you won't know anything.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.