What other caliber to SBR?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Re: What other caliber to SBR?

Post by golfindia »

TMD wrote: No problem with it at all. Guess my perception of 80% lowers is there is no serial number. That goes out the window when you SBR it. Also from what I've seen most quality 80% lowers cost as much or more than standard lowers. Factor in the cost of a jig and any savings just went out the window. Lastly if there's any issue with the lower being out of spec or any quality issues you're SOL.
100% correct. Plus you need a means to apply surface finish. It's not economically sound unless you already have the equipment/tooling. That all needs to be considered, indeed.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

golfindia wrote:
TMD wrote: No problem with it at all. Guess my perception of 80% lowers is there is no serial number. That goes out the window when you SBR it. Also from what I've seen most quality 80% lowers cost as much or more than standard lowers. Factor in the cost of a jig and any savings just went out the window. Lastly if there's any issue with the lower being out of spec or any quality issues you're SOL.
100% correct. Plus you need a means to apply surface finish. It's not economically sound unless you already have the equipment/tooling. That all needs to be considered, indeed.
I already have a drill press, milling machine, routers, sandblasting and spray equipment. A group of us, family and friends, went in together and bought a bunch of 80% lowers and jig. I supervise the machining and finishing of the lower and teach the new owner assembly, takedown for cleaning and basic operation. This has become the most satisfying aspect of my life long firearm hobby, seeing the look of pride and accomplishment in the eyes of those who made their own firearm!
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
farm use
Silent But Deadly

Post by farm use »

realtreehunter wrote:
farm use wrote:If you did a 9mm sbr build you would probably want a dedicated lower. But they are a lot of fun. I have a few SBRs, and thought I would only build one. One is a 12" Grendel, believe it or not its a awesome round for short barrel. Most think as I did before that the grendel is only for long barrels, ITS NOT. I have a 18" grendel also, and im not really losing much in 6". Iv taking it out to 600 yrds pretty easy and im sure it will go further.
That's interesting, I thought that would definitely be a longer barrel round. I have considered building a Grendel in a 20 inch upper but just never have. What kind of velocities are you getting from your 12" Grendel?
Im getting about 2220 fps with 123gn amax with the 12" barrel and same load in the 18" is 2550 fps. So at 400 yrds it takes 1 mil more than the 18". Thats field proven and very accurate. Funny thing is all my friends that have shot it loves it and wants one. lol...
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

tXr wrote:
I already have a drill press, milling machine, routers, sandblasting and spray equipment. A group of us, family and friends, went in together and bought a bunch of 80% lowers and jig. I supervise the machining and finishing of the lower and teach the new owner assembly, takedown for cleaning and basic operation. This has become the most satisfying aspect of my life long firearm hobby, seeing the look of pride and accomplishment in the eyes of those who made their own firearm!
It really is rewarding, and unfortunately people with the skills knowledge to do this kind of stuff are all dying off. Hardly anyone makes/builds/fixes anything themselves anymore. We need to keep the flame lit!

If you are fortunate enough to have access to even entry level machining tools, it truly is a great time to be a DIYer. 80% AR15 lowers are the gateway drug.... don't stop there. There are 80% glocks, 10-22s, AR10s, 1911s......
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

tXr wrote:
golfindia wrote:
I may be mistaken here but the ATF views sharing the jig and teaching others how to do it is a no no. At least that was their excuse for raiding a dealer in California not long ago.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

TMD wrote:

I may be mistaken here but the ATF views sharing the jig and teaching others how to do it is a no no. At least that was their excuse for raiding a dealer in California not long ago.
Nope, only if I or any one of the "makers" use any of the equipment(jig, router, press etc that we used to machine the lowers) for commercial purposes, as in your example where the fabrication took place at a place of business that was selling instruction and rental of equipment. Teaching others is not in any way, shape or form illegal, only if there is profit made, a business venture. As hobbyists we can talk, confer and discuss techniques and steps. What we can not do is do any of the actual work on the lower for one another. The ATF has stated that using a CNC machine(like the Ghostrunner or a full blown CNC center) is not the same as a jig and router where the person manually machines the lower and would make the owner of the machine guilty of violating the law.
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap