Form 1 questions

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

niteshiftfromkc

Form 1 questions

Post by niteshiftfromkc »

I am getting ready to join the SBR and silencer crowd. I just had a few questions concerning the form 1 builds. I plan on doing the e-file form 1 for one SBR and two silencers. I have watched the various Youtube videos on walking through the form 1's but still have some questions.

1. One of the silencers will be used on the SBR, so I know that the lower will have to be engraved with the trust name. Do I have to engrave the lowers that the other silencer will be attached to? I am planning on using it on my 300 blackout rifle as well as the 5.56.

2. I am still debating on a 8" or 10" barrel length. Should I input a 8" barrel length for the stamp? I thought that was the recommendation to do that since you can always go with a longer barrel instead of shorter.

3. Is there a spot for the 300 blackout on the drop down menu for the silencers or should I just call it a .308?

4. I saw one video where they showed doing the payment. Since my bank doesn't issue debit cards to the trust, I plan on using Visa gift cards. However, they don't have an actual name on them. Has anyone used these before and what did you put in the Name field for the credit card?

5. I was also thinking about doing a .22 silencer at a later date. Is there any set time length to have the build done after getting the stamp approved?

Thanks for the help with this. I can't wait to get to the building process.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Re: Form 1 questions

Post by Sithlord »

niteshiftfromkc wrote:I am getting ready to join the SBR and silencer crowd. I just had a few questions concerning the form 1 builds. I plan on doing the e-file form 1 for one SBR and two silencers. I have watched the various Youtube videos on walking through the form 1's but still have some questions.

1. One of the silencers will be used on the SBR, so I know that the lower will have to be engraved with the trust name. Do I have to engrave the lowers that the other silencer will be attached to? I am planning on using it on my 300 blackout rifle as well as the 5.56.
You only engrave the NFA items with the trust name if you are making them. I assume that you are considering 'making' the 2 suppressors; THEY would be engraved, along with the SBR lower receiver. You can attach a suppressor to ANY host platform - no additional engraving required.
2. I am still debating on a 8" or 10" barrel length. Should I input a 8" barrel length for the stamp? I thought that was the recommendation to do that since you can always go with a longer barrel instead of shorter.
Use whichever you want. Going shorter/longer is NOT an issue as there is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT to notify the ATF of a CONFIGURATION CHANGE, regardless of how permanent.
3. Is there a spot for the 300 blackout on the drop down menu for the silencers or should I just call it a .308?
.308 or 7.62. That is the caliber. 300 blackout is not a caliber.
4. I saw one video where they showed doing the payment. Since my bank doesn't issue debit cards to the trust, I plan on using Visa gift cards. However, they don't have an actual name on them. Has anyone used these before and what did you put in the Name field for the credit card?
Haven't. You DO NOT need to use a credit card or debit card that has the name of the trust. They want $200. It doesn't matter WHERE it comes from. I have NO bank accounts with my trust, and have plenty of NFA items. My FFL has sent checks with their business name on it. It does NOT HAVE TO MATCH THE TRUST NAME. It is NOT considered a straw purchase!
5. I was also thinking about doing a .22 silencer at a later date. Is there any set time length to have the build done after getting the stamp approved?
No, there is no REQUIREMENT to EVER make an NFA item given an approved Form 1.
Thanks for the help with this. I can't wait to get to the building process.
Cheers!
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

Strongly consider using paper forms this close to the 41F deadline. If your e-form is rejected, it is just rejected... You have to submit an entirely new form, and anything submitted at this point won't be approved or rejected until after the new rules go into effect. So chances are, even if you had the original form e-filed prior to the deadline, they will make you comply with the new requirements on the reapplication.

If there is an error on a paper form, they will often send it back for correction, so in this case you would still be on the pre-deadline form. And the time difference between paper and e-form isn't really all that much these days.
niteshiftfromkc

Post by niteshiftfromkc »

Thanks for the replies. Netpackrat, I didn't see your reply before I went ahead and did the eForms. Hopefully there aren't any problems with it. Everything went pretty smooth after submitting the first one.

Now the wait begins.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, I have one I submitted at the beginning of April that is in the same boat, probably, unless somehow the approvals get sped up. Hopefully there isn't anything wrong with it. In theory you can cancel an e-form, request a refund, and then resubmit on paper to be sure. The two Forms 1 I submitted since then I used the paper forms.
392heminut
Silent But Deadly

Post by 392heminut »

If you mess up on the eform you will have to submit a new form as Netpackrat said, but you can usually get them to expedite it. I efiled a Form 1 for an SBR and screwed up the model of the receiver. I had to resubmit a new form but requested it be expedited. They approved it within 3 days. I had to pay another $200 with the new form but the original $200 was refunded back to my account about a month later.

As for the 41F deadline, anything submitted before the deadline is good to go, even if it doesn't get approved until after the deadline. As long as the efile form is submitted before the deadline or the paper form is postmarked before the deadline it won't fall under the 41F rules.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

392heminut wrote:If you mess up on the eform you will have to submit a new form as Netpackrat said, but you can usually get them to expedite it. I efiled a Form 1 for an SBR and screwed up the model of the receiver. I had to resubmit a new form but requested it be expedited. They approved it within 3 days. I had to pay another $200 with the new form but the original $200 was refunded back to my account about a month later.

As for the 41F deadline, anything submitted before the deadline is good to go, even if it doesn't get approved until after the deadline. As long as the efile form is submitted before the deadline or the paper form is postmarked before the deadline it won't fall under the 41F rules.
I screwed up an e-form earlier this year, and the new one was approved in under 15 minutes from the time I submitted it and sent the email to the inspector. That said, the two most recent I have done were on paper forms.
392heminut
Silent But Deadly

Post by 392heminut »

Netpackrat wrote:
I screwed up an e-form earlier this year, and the new one was approved in under 15 minutes from the time I submitted it and sent the email to the inspector.
Nice!