Cart Before the Horse?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ProdigalSun
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cart Before the Horse?

Post by ProdigalSun »

Does the trust name have to appear on the lower, or is that for if I'm building an 80% ?
NFA Not F**king American

It would be less disrespectful to burn the flag than to put a thin blue line through the middle of it.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

ProdigalSun wrote:Does the trust name have to appear on the lower, or is that for if I'm building an 80% ?
The name of the manufacturer, of the NFA item, in this case an SBR, must be engraved on the receiver. It does not matter, if it is an 80% receiver or an existing receiver or an existing complete firearm that has the barrel replaced or shortened.

ProdigalSun wrote:This is the result of fighting from the ballot box.
This thread is the result of not going to the ATF website and reading the information that is available.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

ProdigalSun wrote:Does the trust name have to appear on the lower, or is that for if I'm building an 80% ?
No.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/national-f ... t-handbook

Please see Chapter 6, "Making NFA Firearms by Nonlicensees" and also reference chapter 7, "Manufacturing NFA Firearms":
All NFA firearms must be identified by a serial number and other specified markings. If an existing
firearm is being used in the making of the NFA weapon, and that firearm is serialized, the existing serial
number should be used (unless it duplicates a serial number already used by the maker on Form 1) and
entered in Block 4(g). If the weapon is of new manufacture, the applicant must assign a unique serial
number and enter it in Block 4(g). For example, a unique serial number could be composed of at least 4
digits preceded by the initials of the maker. NOTE: alpha characters, e.g., a name, will not be accepted
as a serial number. If a name is to be used, there must be at least one numeric character in addition to
the alpha characters.

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model,
and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon. The
marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to
section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements.
7.4.2 Additional information. Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(1) The model, if such designation has been made;
(2) The caliber or gauge;
(3) The manufacturer’s name (or recognized abbreviation); and
(4) The city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where the manufacturer maintains its place of business.
So, the serial number is the only thing that is absolutely required to be engraved on the receiver. The other required information can go on the barrel, but in practice it generally gets put on the receiver as well, except for caliber. That usually goes on the barrel.

Note that you DO need to have the maker's name (in this case, your trust name), city, and state somewhere on the receiver, frame, or barrel, even if your receiver is already marked with the original manufacturer's name, city, and state. That's for a Form 1 item. If it came from that manufacturer in NFA configuration, and is transferred to you on a Form 4 (or potentially a Form 5), then you're not the maker, and you don't need your information engraved on it.
ProdigalSun
Silent But Deadly

Post by ProdigalSun »

dellet wrote:[
This thread is the result of not going to the ATF website and reading the information that is available.
This post, is an example of why most gun owners avoid gun forums.
NFA Not F**king American

It would be less disrespectful to burn the flag than to put a thin blue line through the middle of it.
ProdigalSun
Silent But Deadly

Post by ProdigalSun »

Netpackrat wrote:
No.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/national-f ... t-handbook

Please see Chapter 6, "Making NFA Firearms by Nonlicensees" and also reference chapter 7, "Manufacturing NFA Firearms":
All NFA firearms must be identified by a serial number and other specified markings. If an existing
firearm is being used in the making of the NFA weapon, and that firearm is serialized, the existing serial
number should be used (unless it duplicates a serial number already used by the maker on Form 1) and
entered in Block 4(g). If the weapon is of new manufacture, the applicant must assign a unique serial
number and enter it in Block 4(g). For example, a unique serial number could be composed of at least 4
digits preceded by the initials of the maker. NOTE: alpha characters, e.g., a name, will not be accepted
as a serial number. If a name is to be used, there must be at least one numeric character in addition to
the alpha characters.

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model,
and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon. The
marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to
section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements.
7.4.2 Additional information. Certain additional information must also be conspicuously placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel of the firearm by engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), that is, they must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(1) The model, if such designation has been made;
(2) The caliber or gauge;
(3) The manufacturer’s name (or recognized abbreviation); and
(4) The city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where the manufacturer maintains its place of business.
So, the serial number is the only thing that is absolutely required to be engraved on the receiver. The other required information can go on the barrel, but in practice it generally gets put on the receiver as well, except for caliber. That usually goes on the barrel.

Note that you DO need to have the maker's name (in this case, your trust name), city, and state somewhere on the receiver, frame, or barrel, even if your receiver is already marked with the original manufacturer's name, city, and state. That's for a Form 1 item. If it came from that manufacturer in NFA configuration, and is transferred to you on a Form 4 (or potentially a Form 5), then you're not the maker, and you don't need your information engraved on it.
Thank you. I would have inadvertently committed a felony without this information.
NFA Not F**king American

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

ProdigalSun wrote:
dellet wrote:[
This post, is an example of why most gun owners avoid gun forums.
This has been the most confusing thread EVER in the history of this forum.
OP, it's real simple, if your lower arrives with a stock intact, present or otherwise your ffl can transfer it as "other" but the ATF considers it otherwise. Do as you want, good advice has been given and if you wind up on the wrong side of things maybe you will realize why REAL gun owners have frequented gun forums - to help guys like you steer through the weeds. Being a smartass won't help you as the people giving you advice own multiple stamps. I have 3 and would suggest you to proceed with caution with your build.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

...rebel makes a valid point. Aside from the obvious common "federal requirements" that current stamp holders have provided info on, each state and locale has their own unique requirements in addition to the federal requirements.

....for federal requirements, contact your local BATF agency for guidance, for state/locale requirements, contact the appropriate sate/local agencies. In some cases, the federal and state agencies are co-located or at least close coordinating via liaisons. The info and guidance THEY provide you will keep you compliant and out of jail.

Although "easier" to get responses for info from forums that can be beneficial, depending on accuracy & quality, it it also has no legal standing.

Caveat Empor
ProdigalSun
Silent But Deadly

Post by ProdigalSun »

rebel wrote: This has been the most confusing thread EVER in the history of this forum.

I'm sorry.
NFA Not F**king American

ProdigalSun
Silent But Deadly

Post by ProdigalSun »

Im not trying to be a smartass. Or difficult, but this is confusing, and I dont think it strange at all that someone like me might get confused.

About the time I think I have it figured out, I get some new piece of info that seems to contradict what I thought I was certain of, and I wind up scratching my head. Then, someone who likely knows exactly what to do, takes the time to go online and post something trite.

I dont know who to believe, or who is right. Pistol, Rifle, Other, SBR, whatever,...4473, RI-60 this infringement, that oathbreaking leo...

The only thing I can do at this point, is go back and re read the thread, and try to figure out what to fill out and where. I will do my best to follow these laws, but at the end of the day, I will be building the gun I want the way I want it, and I will be keeping it when it's done.
NFA Not F**king American

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

dellet is saying when in doubt, err on the safe side. My sbr was built as a pistol first, from a stripped lower. No part of a stock assembly was ever on that weapon until my form 1 was approved. I will refer back to the TC Contender reference. The process is confusing by design and intended to frustrate.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.