Anyone with AR 10 SBR

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

TMD
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone with AR 10 SBR

Post by TMD »

NannySlayer wrote:
TMD wrote:
NannySlayer wrote:Why would you want an ar10 SBR? A 300 will cycle subs and is lighter... A 30 Cal bullet that is subsonic is the same if it were fired out of a 300 AAC, 308 or a 300 win mag. Use the one designed for it.

This from the guy who has an AR10 and said meh to the 300 blackout.
OP never mentioned subsonic
He mentioned the suppressor. I cannot imagine how loud a SBR 308 would be. I bet a 10" or 12" 308 is only marginally quieter than my 20" 308. Either way it still requires hearing protection with supers.

So, yes you can make it an SBR.
Check your can specs.
And I do not know anyone who has done it because the 300 has filled this spot.
Yup the OP mentions a suppressor, that doesn't automatically assume subsonic. In face it takes a lot to get a .308 AR to cycle subs and even then its not like the .300bo where you can just switch back and forth between supers and subs.
I have two .308 AR's, both have muzzle adapters for my SDN-6 and both are 16" barreled and piston driven. Hearing safe, ah. More pleasant to shoot than unsuppressed, definitely.
rpk47
Silent But Deadly

Post by rpk47 »

DutchV wrote:I went through this exercise on a different board, looking at an HK-type pistol in .308 with 12" barrel. Consensus was that it'd be useless. Too much added muzzle blast, and too much lost velocity. Just the wrong caliber for such a short barrel.
Useless yes but just for lolz amazing. I have a 7.5 inch 556 barrel for this exact reason. I have no assumptions that it is anything other than a range toy.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Never seen an AR10 sbr, but a friend that I get all my barrel from has a 10" pistol. They also have a muzzle brake that tames it down quite nicely.

Dustin from X caliber barrels,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmHXwliWCoU

http://www.x-caliber.net/

Edit to add: yes it's .308
Last edited by dellet on Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
NannySlayer
Silent Operator

Post by NannySlayer »

TMD wrote:
Yup the OP mentions a suppressor, that doesn't automatically assume subsonic. In face it takes a lot to get a .308 AR to cycle subs and even then its not like the .300bo where you can just switch back and forth between supers and subs.
I have two .308 AR's, both have muzzle adapters for my SDN-6 and both are 16" barreled and piston driven. Hearing safe, ah. More pleasant to shoot than unsuppressed, definitely.
What piston kits are you running? How do you like them?
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

NannySlayer wrote:
TMD wrote:
What piston kits are you running? How do you like them?
One rifle is the Ruger SR762 and the other is a LWRC R.E.P.R.
Is the Ruger worth the $1800 I paid for it, hell yeah.
Is the LWRC worth the $3600 a friend of mine paid before he sold it to me cheap because he was in a bind, hell no. The side charge handle is cool and its barely a tad more accurate than the Ruger but at twice the price its definitely not twice as nice.
Both piston setups have setting for suppressor use but do nothing for the bcg getting filthy when shooting suppressed. Unsuppressed the bcg's stay clean as can be.
DutchV
Silent But Deadly

Post by DutchV »

rpk47 wrote:
DutchV wrote:I went through this exercise on a different board, looking at an HK-type pistol in .308 with 12" barrel. Consensus was that it'd be useless. Too much added muzzle blast, and too much lost velocity. Just the wrong caliber for such a short barrel.
Useless yes but just for lolz amazing. I have a 7.5 inch 556 barrel for this exact reason. I have no assumptions that it is anything other than a range toy.
Okay, now that's a different story. I'm doing a 7.5" 5.56 as well. The fireballs will be awesome. Practicality is not always required. Carry on, and post video, please.
Making the bad man go away since 1982.
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

OP: Here's an awesome deal on a carbine gas barrel you could have cut down if you decide to do a .308 SBR.

http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/product.1 ... series-993
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
buzziebells

Post by buzziebells »

Built a .308 AR SBR using a Remington R25 lower, Timney trigger, Fulton Armory side charger upper, 12.5" Rainer Arms select barrel, SLR Rifle Works adjustable gas block, Slash's Heavy buffer and spring, running a GemTech GMT 300 Win Mag suppressor. My purpose for building this rifle as a SBR was to get a suppressed rifle that was compact enough to allow me to take multiple shots on moving targets while using a thermal imaging scope. Using the short barrel also helped to compensate some for the added weight of the thermal scope. By running 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, I can get right at 2900 FPS out of this gun. That is 1000 FPS more than I can get out of my 300 BLK. For taking out moving hogs when exact shot placement is not possible, the extra 1000 FPS comes in handy. A suppressor is a must have on this gun due to the muzzle blast being horrendous. The adjustable gas block and the heavy buffer are necessary to tame the gas impulse. This is my favorite gun to shoot and everyone else who has shot it has enjoyed the experience. The hogs do not like it so much. To the people who say that this is a waste of a gun, I have to disagree. This gun works perfectly for it's intended purpose. Since Ruger is producing, and selling, the Ruger SR-762, evidently there are others out there finding a use for a 12.5" barreled .308 AR. Just my 2 cents worth.[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/2089pbd.jpg[
392heminut
Silent But Deadly

Post by 392heminut »

There's a guy over at 308AR.com that has one SBR for sure and I think he may have two. He goes by Rsquared on the forum. He really likes his and has no complaints. If you go over there and PM him I'm sure he would be happy to answer any questions you might have, he's a great guy and always willing to help.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

buzziebells wrote:Built a .308 AR SBR using a Remington R25 lower, Timney trigger, Fulton Armory side charger upper, 12.5" Rainer Arms select barrel, SLR Rifle Works adjustable gas block, Slash's Heavy buffer and spring, running a GemTech GMT 300 Win Mag suppressor. My purpose for building this rifle as a SBR was to get a suppressed rifle that was compact enough to allow me to take multiple shots on moving targets while using a thermal imaging scope. Using the short barrel also helped to compensate some for the added weight of the thermal scope. By running 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, I can get right at 2900 FPS out of this gun. That is 1000 FPS more than I can get out of my 300 BLK. For taking out moving hogs when exact shot placement is not possible, the extra 1000 FPS comes in handy. A suppressor is a must have on this gun due to the muzzle blast being horrendous. The adjustable gas block and the heavy buffer are necessary to tame the gas impulse. This is my favorite gun to shoot and everyone else who has shot it has enjoyed the experience. The hogs do not like it so much. To the people who say that this is a waste of a gun, I have to disagree. This gun works perfectly for it's intended purpose. Since Ruger is producing, and selling, the Ruger SR-762, evidently there are others out there finding a use for a 12.5" barreled .308 AR. Just my 2 cents worth.[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/2089pbd.jpg[
Any clue what yours weighs without thermal or suppressor?