Anyone with AR 10 SBR

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

buzziebells

Re: Anyone with AR 10 SBR

Post by buzziebells »

Without any sights, without any muzzle device, and with a full 10 round magazine it is 8 pounds. This gun has functioned flawlessly from day one. If you have any more questions about the build, I will be glad to answer them for you.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

What everyone says makes sense and is good advice. I guess I'll just leave my AR 10 with it's original 16" barrel. I'll put that money toward a lighter 30 cal suppressor and a lighter optic. Maybe a 5 round magazine, lighter stock and whatever else I can do to make the rifle lighter in weight or just use it for shooting steel off a sandbag or tripod. The only time I shoot my 7.62 now without a can is to check reloads for stability/keyholes.

The link to 308AR.com was an interesting read. There was a drop down menu about building a lightweight AR 10 with a carbon fiber barrel. If money was no object, and I actually had a need to carry one a distance, building one could be interesting. I have 4 AR 15 300 AAC Blackouts. One RH a LH and two short barrels ( waiting on the stamp for one of them though). I also have a Rem 700 300 BO bolt gun that scratch my 30 cal subsonic suppressed itch. The suppressed bolt gun with subs cannot be beat by my ARs for quiet.

Buzziebells--Nice rifle.
buzziebells

Post by buzziebells »

Thanks hardcase! The .308 AR's are definitely heavy rifles. I do most of my hunting out of an enclosed blind with a good rest, so the weight is not really an issue for me. I built this gun for a very specific purpose and it fits that purpose very well. Each to his own, that is the beauty of the AR platform. Good luck with your personal build.
thecameraman79
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thecameraman79 »

Go over to FN forum. Lots of guys are SBR'ing there Scar 17 with the factory 13" barrel assembly with good results. It won't be a 800 yard gun anymore but if your running it with a can it takes 3" off a long setup. I didn't bother doing it with mine but different folks, different strokes. If it's not being run with a can then I don't feel it's necessary but that's just my opinion.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

I'm waiting on Mega to officially release their small frame AR10- with 16" barrel, it clocks in at 7lb, 2oz. I figure with a lighter stock and 12" barrel, it'd be getting close to 6.5. There's a thread on the 6.8 forum with a guy that built an AR10 with a 16" barrel that weighs under 5 lbs.