SBR Transport Request Time - My Experience

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Bucks13
Silent Operator

SBR Transport Request Time - My Experience

Post by Bucks13 »

I know the general experience with the ATF is a cumbersome one, but I did want to post what I considered a bit of good news. Some time ago, transportation (across state lines) requests were taking months to get approved. I recently submitted an app with much better results:

Mailed: 9/18/14
Pending: 9/24/14
Approved: 9/30/14
Received: 10/4/14

All-in-all, I consider 16 days pretty good, especially when they will approve up to a year in transport length. Make sure you only submit for a year, not a year and 1 day (e.g., 9/1/14-9/1/15 it WILL GET DENIED, instead use 9/1/14-8/31/15) If you plan it right, you can overlap your applications to give "free" travel to your training, family or any other lawful purposes, state.
Last edited by Bucks13 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShortBarrelShepherd
Silent But Deadly

Re: SBR Transport Request Time - My Experience

Post by ShortBarrelShepherd »

Thanks for posting this -- it's one of the things I've yet to do. The expectation of it taking too long has kept me from trying, so your experience is informative.
Visit my blog about SBRs, PDWs, and fight focused training: www.shortbarrelshepherd.com
Springfield
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Springfield »

Follow up question I have been thinking about and perhaps you have ran into. I live in WI and am somewhat land locked by states that don't allow some NFA items (MN and IL). I understand you can get the authorization to transport from the ATF which would make it legal under federal law but is there any way around the state law?

Obviously states can pass laws that are more restrictive than federal law and as such I wouldn't expect to be able to use the items while in that state. I am curious if there is a way to transport (unloaded/locked in case/etc.) them from a NFA friendly state to another NFA friendly state if you must first pass through a restrictive state?

If anyone else has thoughts or an answer on this I am curious to hear about it.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

Springfield wrote:Follow up question I have been thinking about and perhaps you have ran into. I live in WI and am somewhat land locked by states that don't allow some NFA items (MN and IL). I understand you can get the authorization to transport from the ATF which would make it legal under federal law but is there any way around the state law?

Obviously states can pass laws that are more restrictive than federal law and as such I wouldn't expect to be able to use the items while in that state. I am curious if there is a way to transport (unloaded/locked in case/etc.) them from a NFA friendly state to another NFA friendly state if you must first pass through a restrictive state?

The form 20 authorizes you to transport an sbr through non friendly states on your way to the friendly state/location.

It does not authorize you to use said weapon in a non friendly state.

Lock it up, have the form with you, and be honest if you get pulled over.
jryock
Silent But Deadly

Post by jryock »

Another fun fact... You have to use the 5320.20 for a permanent changes of address for the registration record (place where NFA items are stored). They are not longer accepting requests in letter form for that purpose.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

jryock wrote:Another fun fact... You have to use the 5320.20 for a permanent changes of address for the registration record (place where NFA items are stored). They are not longer accepting requests in letter form for that purpose.
Which is odd because then you have to renew the 'permanent change of address' (form 20) annually, if I am to understand their current ruling...
Bucks13
Silent Operator

Post by Bucks13 »

Here is a letter from the ATF regarding transport and temporary conversion from SBR to standard rifle. It shows that you can convert back to a standard rifle to transport across state lines without permission, but looks like you need to leave the short barreled upper at home...which somewhat defeats the purpose

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/Transport ... 0lines.pdf

But, with the quick turnaround time, written permission shouldn't be too difficult to obtain for you guys, and if it really allows transport through unfriendly states to a friendly destination, then all should be good.

I'm no expert or lawyer, so I suggest you contact the ATF directly if you have any other questions. For what it's worth, they've been really friendly and accommodating with me every time I call.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Sithlord wrote:
jryock wrote:Another fun fact... You have to use the 5320.20 for a permanent changes of address for the registration record (place where NFA items are stored). They are not longer accepting requests in letter form for that purpose.
Which is odd because then you have to renew the 'permanent change of address' (form 20) annually, if I am to understand their current ruling...
Only once.
Springfield
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Springfield »

Sithlord wrote:
Springfield wrote:Follow up question I have been thinking about and perhaps you have ran into. I live in WI and am somewhat land locked by states that don't allow some NFA items (MN and IL). I understand you can get the authorization to transport from the ATF which would make it legal under federal law but is there any way around the state law?

The form 20 authorizes you to transport an sbr through non friendly states on your way to the friendly state/location.

Thanks! That is what I was hoping to hear but will look into it again when the time comes just to ease my mind a bit. I understand with ATF approval you could not be federally prosecuted in the unfriendly state but my main concern was if one could be prosecuted under state statute.
It does not authorize you to use said weapon in a non friendly state.

Lock it up, have the form with you, and be honest if you get pulled over.
jryock
Silent But Deadly

Post by jryock »

FYI.

Sent: 9/23
Approved: 10/7
Received: 10/11