Supressed home defense SBR???

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

havesomewantmore
Silent Operator

Re: Supressed home defense SBR???

Post by havesomewantmore »

It is funny how often this subject is brought up. For me personally, I would not want to use my suppressed sbr for HD. For the reason that has been brought up, and that is the fact that you are going lose it to confiscation for evidence.

I have said this in another post.

"tonight I am standing in front of the house where a crazy gun nut used his assault rifle with a silencer to kill an intruder. He should have just called the police and went in his closet to hide and wait for help. Why do people think they need to use a assault rifle when they have the police to protect them. Now back to Kelly in the news room. "

Or something like that.

I agree that a shotgun/pistol is your best bet. I know others have there own opinion and that is fine, but this is just me.

I agree that the m&p shield is great. (I have the 40 version and it is great to shoot).

Now if all hell breaks loose, you bet your ass I am getting the sbr out of the safe.

On a side note.....the op. mentioned that he is getting his can this month, I should be also(crossing fingers) since I have been waiting since May. Nothing special just a Yhm ss 30cal. Should have gotten the ti since it took so long, but o well.

Now waiting for sarcastic comments....

Stay safe and shoot straight
"Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God" Thomas Jefferson
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

I base the "this month" comment on the 90-100 days it has been taking Eforms to be returned. My luck it will all jam up since i applied
havesomewantmore
Silent Operator

Post by havesomewantmore »

Sharkbite wrote:I base the "this month" comment on the 90-100 days it has been taking Eforms to be returned. My luck it will all jam up since i applied
Yeah... I took the old fashion paper route. I never saw a reason to do the trust since my LEO signed off on all 4 of my nfa items. And that was before efile was "the new thing".

Maybe with my next can I will do the efile. My local SOT guy makes a nice 22lr can that is calling my name. Only thing that sucks is that it would be the only item on the trust. I would love to transfer everything to a trust but of course that would be another $200x4 that I would have to pay.

Maybe I should not bring this up on this tread since I don't want to derail the conversation, but I will ask anyways while it is fresh in my mind. Has anyone ever transfered there individual nfa items to a trust and payed the additional tax stamped fee? And if I where to do it, would I still be able to keep the items, or would they have to go to my SOT until the transfer is complete.
"Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God" Thomas Jefferson
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

havesomewantmore wrote:
Maybe I should not bring this up on this tread since I don't want to derail the conversation, but I will ask anyways while it is fresh in my mind. Has anyone ever transfered there individual nfa items to a trust and payed the additional tax stamped fee? And if I where to do it, would I still be able to keep the items, or would they have to go to my SOT until the transfer is complete.
They are your items registered to YOU as an individual.
Yes, they remain in your possession while awaiting approval for transfer to the trust in which you are the Settlor/Trustee.
I have items owned as an individual that I will be transferring to my trust.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

With all due respect to everyone on this thread, there is some very bad information here. Here is some food for thought.

1.) IF the ammo you use in the firearm involved in a defensive situation is other than factory ammo with 'defensive' or some derivative in the name, there is a high likelihood it will be an issue at trial. I get that this doesn't make sense but what does make sense when talking about laws and guns. Protect yourself and buy a box of defensive factory ammo and a dedicated mag for your go-to HD gun. keep it in the gun when in it's defense role. It isn't going to break the bank.

2.) ANYTHING you do can be painted to make you look like a nut case, be aware of this when on social media, purchasing accessories, etc. FOR EXAMPLE, having your Glock barrel engraved with 'smile, wait for flash' or having a patch on your gun bag that says, 'kill'em all and let God sort'em out' or something like that paints a picture of how you think for a jury, I GET that those sorts of things are funny, a jury of your peers may jump to the conclusion that you were itching for a fight, look at Zimmerman in Florida if you doubt what I am saying.

3.) You MUST think of where your bullet can end up. In the heat of the moment, the likelihood of a bullet TOTALLY MISSING the nutcase who wants to hurt you and your family is almost guaranteed, why do you think modern discipline suggests high capacity over bullet diameter when considering a defensive handgun. If your daughters bedroom is behind the perp, taking the shot is likely not an option unless you know beyond a doubt where your daughter IS. SERIOUSLY, the design of the bullet is at best a secondary consideration. You should play mental games with shot solutions ALL the time so if faced with the situation it is second nature. If you ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY HAVE to take the shot or someone you love is going to die, you may need to shoot the guy's pelvis and put him on the ground. I know from high stress training, that thought doesn't come to mind unless you have practiced it and thought about it a lot. Outside the home this extends to avoiding problems in the first place. Once you pull that trigger, that bullet is your responsibility. WAY WAY better to avoid having to do it in the first place.

4.) Think about your shooting ability and increase your group size by 3-5x under stress. Sure practice matters, especially the right kind of practice BUT if you consistently shoot 3" groups with your handgun, you can bet you will be doing good to shoot a 9-15" group in the heat of the situation. That is probably the best argument for a carbine in HD use. Keep in mind number 2 though. to a degree that depends on where you live. If you live in a liberal area, you are WAY better off not to use an AR, where I live, likely not a problem, (the midwest but not in the Peoples Republic of IL).

To sum up, considerations around this issue don't follow logic. You have to look at every decision you make from the mindset of the worst juror you might face and then make your own decision. There are no right or wrong answers but you need to know what you are getting into and accept it. Don't just assume things will be ok by thinking like a logical gun owner.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

If I am forced to defend myself or my family, I will use the best tools that I have available and that are suited for the task.

As for slimy lawyers, sure, someone may ask why.

I would then proceed to tell the jury that I waited for the police to come in and use their sawed off suppressed rifles but they didn't get there in time obviously which left me with no other choice than having to use my own.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

John A. wrote:If I am forced to defend myself or my family, I will use the best tools that I have available and that are suited for the task.

As for slimy lawyers, sure, someone may ask why.

I would then proceed to tell the jury that I waited for the police to come in and use their sawed off suppressed rifles but they didn't get there in time obviously which left me with no other choice than having to use my own.
I certainly understand your sentiment, at the core of what I am saying is that a little thought and prep goes a long way to allowing you the opportunity to CONTINUE to be with and provide for your family after a defensive shooting. Make your own choice but the threat to you and your family doesn't end when you pull the trigger, in many ways, it is just beginning.
BulletFactory
Silent Operator

Post by BulletFactory »

Last edited by BulletFactory on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BulletFactory
Silent Operator

Post by BulletFactory »

Home defense is why I built an SBR in Blackout. I'll have to get a stamp for a can now, because of the share act. Too bad all those people had to die to try to keep us from having suppressors. As for ammo. Le-High Defense Controlled Fracturing 168 grains with 12 grains CFE BLK.

Only problem with using it for self defense, is that I have too much money and time wrapped up into it to ever let the police "hold it for evidence". Maybe the bad guy will call for help because I dont plan on calling anyone.
attila. wrote:
Dolomite_Supafly wrote:The reason I say factory is I have a very good friend who was raked over the coals by a prosecutor for using hand loads for self defense.
Pardon my ignorance, but what reason would a prosecutor have for raking someone over coals? What was the argument against using handloads? thank you
Simply because they think that they are untouchable, and think they can get away with it. Hilarioius. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The take away from this, and other threads like this, is to never, ever call the police. There is no law, at least in my state, that requires me to call 911 if there is a defensive shooting. Since you have about a 50-50 shot at getting convicted, there really is no point in calling the police on yourself. Unless you are one, or are friends with one, then you will have to defend yourself in court at your own expense. A clean shoot, is a clean shoot. It's not going to make you look guilty, and if it does, it just proves me right.
Last edited by BulletFactory on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BulletFactory
Silent Operator

Post by BulletFactory »

havesomewantmore wrote:
Sharkbite wrote:
Im about to do that with my can. It took too long 14 months for the SBR Trust. It's worth the 200$ extra to save the time, and not have to worry about it.