new BATFE opinion regarding braces, folding adapters and VFG's - what is a pistol vs firearm vs an AOW

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

new BATFE opinion regarding braces, folding adapters and VFG's - what is a pistol vs firearm vs an AOW

Post by plant.one »

https://www.recoilweb.com/measuring-the ... 51346.html
https://blog.princelaw.com/2019/07/05/a ... ing-brace/

so this appears that this would only apply to ar-pistols (or other pistols utilizing a brace) with a vertical foregrip AND exceed 26" only because of how the brace is mounted.

so it would appear that all you need to do is remove the VFG and you're back in good territory - or at least non AOW territory.

the BATFE has always taken that a pistol cannot have a VFG, and this ruling appears to clarify that a brace is just an accessory (which keeps it from being classified as a stock, which is a necessary part of a rifle or shotgun) and therefore not relevant to the length measurement of your braced pistol.

i dont see anything regarding angled foregrips (which have been ok for a long time now) so just drop the VFG off and get an AFG and you should be in ok shape - at least as far as the AOW and required stamp plays on things anyway.

now - i am not a lawyer, but i did stay at a holiday in express a few months ago.. so... take it for what its worth.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Re: new BATFE opinion regarding braces, folding adapters and VFG's - what is a pistol vs firearm vs an AOW

Post by blaster »

thanks for the info!
peace through superior firepower