Tuning suppressed sbr questions

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Re: Tuning suppressed sbr questions

Post by TexasEric »

I have the “Dr Phil/Dellet special” BCG from LMT. I also have a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block, that can vent extra gas out the front of the gas block if I choose.
Not too worried about being over gassed, along as it doesn’t kick like a mule.

I talked to X-caliber. They drilled the port hole to Dellet specs. I think this SBR will be AWESOME. I am putting it together Saturday morning. Probably tuning on Wednesday. I have 1-8x scope I will borrow from my 308. I will purchase a red dot or 1-6x scope in a month or so.

Rebel, I am just getting extra data and ammo recommendations. I am probably going to buy various brands and super/subs for tuning, and target practice to see what my barrel likes best.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I also use the smallest port possible and NEVER drill a .120" port. I start small then go up by . 002" -.003" and I test each step. That takes time that most people don't want to dedicate as most people just want a gun that works immediately. And to ensure it works the first time out you must go big to ensure it works with all the different ammunition out there.

I know a lot of 5.56 barrels are intentionally over gassed and I suspect most 300 Blackout barrels are built the same. The larger the port the fewer the problems the gun has at the expense of more recoil, more crud, more gas in the shooter's face as well as more noise with silencer guns. The main reason to drill an oversized gas port is so the manufacturer isn't wasting time working on warranty issues on a gun that will not cycle all the different kinds of ammunition.

Every custom barrel I have ordered was with a .050" port. Then I would work up until it locked back in an empty mag. That is the right way to do it but in this world of instant gratification most people don't want to put in the work.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

I got it put together, then got sick. I am meds to keep my from losing dinner right now.
I have not been able to tune it yet, or engrave it yet. I am left eye dominant, so the gas port is in front of my face. I am not sure how many lord of the rings fans are here. My goal is one gas setting to rule them all. I have had some fun with DD MK18 in 556 running supers, it was gassy. Weird fact, I like that smell. It makes me happy on the inside.

Honestly, I choose the Superalative Arms (SA) gas block and LMT enhanced bolt to work together. The bolt has a delay before unlocking, and an extra port to vent gas. The SA adjustable block can be set bleed off extra gas toward the muzzle, before sending the rest down the gas tube.

1. My theory is to tune for subsonics unsuppressed, with cheap plinking ammo.
Move up to more pricey subsonics. To recheck function of subs/unsuppressed.

2. Put on suppressor, recheck function with same ammo types of ammunition.

3. Move to super sonic/non suppressed. With cheap and pricey ammo, different brands.

4. Throw suppressor on and recheck.

I know supers will be over gassed. I am hoping the gas block, bolt, and H2 buffer will handle it. I don’t want to get gassed out, have excessively heavy recoil, or malfunctions. The goal is for the gun to eat everything it is feed. As well as function well, even if a bit dirty from suppressed use.

Let me know your thoughts.
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

Guessing everyone approves of my thought process for tuning? I am still waiting on my drop shipment of ammo to arrive. Should have been here Wednesday.

After it is tuned, I will post groups for suppers and subs. I bought a variety of different ammo to see what the gun likes best.

I am curious to see how dirty it gets as well.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

TexasEric wrote:Guessing everyone approves of my thought process for tuning? I am still waiting on my drop shipment of ammo to arrive. Should have been here Wednesday.

After it is tuned, I will post groups for suppers and subs. I bought a variety of different ammo to see what the gun likes best.

My thinking is that some things are better learned from tactile experience. It really doesn’t matter how many people tell you what it feels like to get hit in the face, it will be different than you imagine.

Look forward to hearing what you find, I’m pretty sure it won’t work out exactly how you think, and your experience will add to the collective knowledge on the forum.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
TexasEric
Silent But Deadly

Post by TexasEric »

dellet wrote:
TexasEric wrote:Guessing everyone approves of my thought process for tuning? I am still waiting on my drop shipment of ammo to arrive. Should have been here Wednesday.

My thinking is that some things are better learned from tactile experience. It really doesn’t matter how many people tell you what it feels like to get hit in the face, it will be different than you imagine.

Look forward to hearing what you find, I’m pretty sure it won’t work out exactly how you think, and your experience will add to the collective knowledge on the forum.
I know you are right. Murphy’s law always comes into play, if a plan gets too thought out.
I have also been punched in the face a few times......a lot, in my youth. I came out on top 8 out of 10 times, if I were to pick a ratio.
Hoping tuning the gun, feels better than that.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

TexasEric wrote:
dellet wrote:

I know you are right. Murphy’s law always comes into play, if a plan gets too thought out.
I have also been punched in the face a few times......a lot, in my youth. I came out on top 8 out of 10 times, if I were to pick a ratio.
Hoping tuning the gun, feels better than that.
If the brass or scope hits you in the face, it's over gassed :mrgreen:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

I thought the more times a scope hits your face the tougher you get?
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne