WORST. NEWS. EVER.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

WORST. NEWS. EVER.

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

Well, talk about a s**tty day...i currently have 5 stamps in jail, 2 are form 4s through my local SOT -- a Dead Air Mask 22 suppressor and an HK UMP45 conversion SBR done by TommyBuilt. Well...

they closed today. Yup, letter on front door, CLOSED. Info from another dealer in town says everything will be auctioned off. I can't even start explaining how worried, nervous, etc i am about what this means for my transfers. Emails out to NFA branch, voicemails out to owner and a worker there. It's saturday, so not gettin much response. Tomorrow won't be any better. So i'm stuck till monday hoping this doesn't mean i just lost all my stuff (for those of you who don't know, TommyBuilt conversions aren't cheap). I don't even know how i'm gonna respond to all of this crap.

Everything i have found online says i'm SOL, since even though the items are paid for, they aren't in my possession yet. I am hoping for some kind of encouraging advice, guys. I know, i know...first world problem. But i saved for a long time to get this one, and to just lose out on it, plus the cost of the Mask, plus 400 in stamps and 100 in transfer/shipping fees, just feels like a gutpunch...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Re: WORST. NEWS. EVER.

Post by SwampDog_13 »

Holy hell man, I hope it works out in your favor.

I wish I could offer any kind of insight, unfortunately I have no clue what would happen in this kind of situation. Good luck to you!
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

wow. i cant even imagine.

here's to hoping you get some unexpected good news.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

It will depend on the integrity of the license holder and your relationship the him.

I had this happen the dealer was good for it. When the stamp came in he delivered the can to me at work.

The license holder can keep possession until his license expires, you can check that date with ATFE. The item can be transferred to another dealer. Or the license holder may have the option of handing the items over to a lawyer, it depends on how the business was licensed. Sole proprietor, LLC, corp. basically it is his responsibility to secure your property in a legal way for you to complete the transfer.

This all assumes you have paid for it, and he paid his supplier.

I called ATFE, left a message. They returned the call within a day and I explained the situation. Strangely enough I wasn't the first person that had ever been in that situation. There is a process. As long as he doesn't skip town, you will be fine.

Hopefully that will at least let you get some sleep, until you hear back from someone official in a week or two :shock:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

dellet wrote:It will depend on the integrity of the license holder and your relationship the him.

I had this happen the dealer was good for it. When the stamp came in he delivered the can to me at work.

The license holder can keep possession until his license expires, you can check that date with ATFE. The item can be transferred to another dealer. Or the license holder may have the option of handing the items over to a lawyer, it depends on how the business was licensed. Sole proprietor, LLC, corp. basically it is his responsibility to secure your property in a legal way for you to complete the transfer.

I called ATFE, left a message. They returned the call within a day and I explained the situation. Strangely enough I wasn't the first person that had ever been in that situation. There is a process. As long as he doesn't skip town, you will be fine.

Hopefully that will at least let you get some sleep, until you hear back from someone official in a week or two :shock:
Both of these items were transferred in to him, so he had no dealer cost on them, both are paid in full, as well as the tax stamp fees and transfer fees...i think we are on really good terms, but the surprise closing and no answer ........... i don't know...
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

BadKarmaZeroSix wrote:
dellet wrote:It will depend on the integrity of the license holder and your relationship the him.

Both of these items were transferred in to him, so he had no dealer cost on them, both are paid in full, as well as the tax stamp fees and transfer fees...i think we are on really good terms, but the surprise closing and no answer ........... i don't know...
The best thing that could happen would be if either the bank or ATFE seized the assets. You might actually get your stuff sooner that way. Really as long as the guy isn't commiting a whole bunch of felonies selling customer owned property, you will be alright.

Going broke is one thing, going to jail is another. Hope it all works out early Monday for you.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

it was years ago (1978) but when I bought my Browning 1919 A-4, my dealer was killed in a car accident before the transfer was complete. I had only paid a deposit on the gun. the estate attorney called me to come pick it up at the dealer's former place of business when the paperwork came through. he told me that once the NFA item was in my name it had to be transferred to me. I hope this will be your case too.
peace through superior firepower
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I've read of this happening before. First, don't panic. It should work out ok. ATF has procedures for this as it has happened many times before.

Now, as long as the guy stays in town and isn't a flake it should be cool. He is supposed to retain possession of the items. He will still receive the approved docs from ATF. He still has his books. When the docs come in he'll contact you to complete the transfer and log it all in his book. Even if his license expires during the wait, he can still complete the transfer.

The only worry you have really, is the integrate of the owner. You don't have any legal worries or concerns as far as the ATF is concerned. If he's a stand up guy, you have no worries.
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Thanks guys...at least i was able to sleep some. You guys are great!
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

I hope you get your stuff BK.

I am sure your initial response felt like a kick in the gut.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in