the Covid got me

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

the Covid got me

Post by plant.one »

ugh. what a week. well week and then some.

so i'll start at now and work backwards - i'm home from the hospital and just get to recover from the Viral Pneumonia version of Covid-19 that put me there. So things are looking up. yay :)

..... flashback...

Started feeling a little run down around the 3rd or so after several very hectic weeks of work post deer season and thanksgiving the days following. had a mild intermittent cough, but nothing you'd even think about - usuallly more when i'd get into some dusty crap or something.

By friday the 4th i was just wore out - but it had been two swamped weeks of heavy lifting (literally) and just figured i needed a break. Friday coughed up a few (tiny) flecks of blood, but that went away overnight when i turned on the humidifier. like overnight gone. typical early winter stuff.

Saturday evening the liquid brown eye hit for my birthday and i was doing everything i could to keep any liquid in me for more than about 15-20 mins. Went away after 24 ish hours, so just chalked it up as stomach flu doing to being exhausted. Its December - nobody gets the stomach flu in December eh?

by Tuesday morning - i'm hocking up raspberries. not a ton of them, but there's more red there than anything. google says possible bronchitis (but i have no real congestion - as an ex smoker i KNOW what bronch feels like) or bacterial pneumonia (not even mentioning covid). Decide that Wednesday i need to see the doc to see whats going on.

Go in, tell em what's going on, doc listens to me, says ya you sound raw, lets check an x-ray. Yup - you're all inflamed. Want a covid test? Sure why not, lets eliminate it or not. They had one of the rapid ones that still tickles your eyeballs thru your sinuses. sign me up doc, lets do it.

20 mins later they're checking my blood oxygen levels, and have me hooked up to a bottle like you'd see a old lady at the bingo hall smoking while breathing from and telling me i get to go visit the hospital for a day or so.

"no sir i'm sorry, you cant drive your truck home"
"wait what?"
"yea you need to check in like... in the next hour. you can call someone to give you a ride there to save $ on the bambulance" "Your truck can stay in the lot" "only until i can get someone here to get it out of the lot before someone steals all my f'ing tools!"

5 days later, more blood work than i wanna think about, getting woke up at all hours of the night to get poked, prodded, bp checked, oxygen checked, pulse checked (arent i on an EKG monitor?), take these pills now, here's your Remdisivir IV, IV steroids and enough vitamins to make my dad's dr's pill writing look weak.... i finally get discharged.

I'm still quarantined until at least the 21st, and wont be back to 100% capacity for who knows how long as my lungs recover from this pneumonia crap, but its at least nice to be able to take a shower (which apparently is a no-no when they have you on an EKG machine?) and sleep in my own freaking bed.

and i'm still breathing through an oxygen tube for the foreseeable short term (which they cant again tell me how long)

what a freaking nightmare

as a parting laugh from the hospital yesterday afternoon.... the nurse asks me how i feel about taking the upcoming vaccine? i had to laugh and not make fun of him as i explained i would refuse to take the vaccine since i just earned my antibodies the old fashioned way. i know he was just trying to make small talk but come on man... buy a clue lol

thankfully he realized how silly he just looked and got a chuckle too... but yea.. lol
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: the Covid got me

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

Really glad you are doing well! I can imagine what you went through must have really been miserable. But I am glad you are out now and it didn't progress any further. Close friend of mine looked like he wasn't going to make it as of yesterday. Went in with low blood oxygen levels from COVID two weeks ago. Eventually his Kidneys weren't working well and he Has pneumonia and his heart is showing signs of failure. He is too sedated to tell if he is having symptoms of a stroke. Today a bit of good news. They're transferring him to another hospital to put him on dialysis. This seems like a good sign because I don't think they would be doing that if they thought it was a lost cause. So for all of us it is atleast a small sign that the doctors atleast have hope.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

It doesn't sound like you had a fun time at all. Yeah, I know, an understatement.

Near as my wife and can figure I had it in mid February. I didn't know what I had and neither did my Dr. . No one was discussing Covid until March. Anyway, I knew I had something but stayed home and took care of myself. I couldn't get warm. I was wearing a winter parka and covered with a blanket and froze. Then I'd shake. It was shivering, but on a double dose of steroids. It was violent shaking. That would last for an hour or so and then I'd have a few hours break from that. But what scared me was the drop in my blood O2 level. I'm always near 98% normally but I felt light headed and since I have heart disease I have a finger meter. It was 91%. No problems breathing, no coughing, just low O2. I told myself that if I saw 90% I was dialing 911.

I don't know if it's the meds I'm on for my heart, I kept taking them even though I didn't eat for 4 days, but I had the drafted s---s bigtime. It would have been a really good time for a colonoscopy since I did all the cleanout for "free". My wife was after me to eat something but I just wasn't hungry. No problem with that since I was in ketosis (still am) I had plenty of body fat to live off of. I have no idea if I lost my sense of taste, that was the last thing on my mind.

I finally got over it and after checking with the nurse at cardiac rehab returned after 2 weeks (approx' Feb 22). Then one night in late April my wife called me to hear the talking heads on the screen. "Listen to this." she said. The CDC had just released new c19 symptoms and after listening I said, "That's what I had. " . Understand that I'm at double risk for death from it due to age and heart. Also, my wife was near me with no changes in the way we conduct out lives and if she got it was asymptomatic.

Mine was no fun either, but at least I stayed home. It would have been a lot less fun in the hospital.

I think just now my blood O2 levels are coming back to normal.

I had an "opportunity" to be in the closed hospital for important testing a bit later and was talking to the nurse in the day surgery unit and she was telling me how her parents had C19 some time in Nov' '19. It was here long before anyone was aware. Thank you very much ChiComs!
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

plant.one wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:37 pm ugh. what a week. well week and then some.

so i'll start at now and work backwards - i'm home from the hospital and just get to recover from the Viral Pneumonia version of Covid-19 that put me there. So things are looking up. yay :)

..... flashback...

Started feeling a little run down around the 3rd or so after several very hectic weeks of work post deer season and thanksgiving the days following. had a mild intermittent cough, but nothing you'd even think about - usuallly more when i'd get into some dusty crap or something.

By friday the 4th i was just wore out - but it had been two swamped weeks of heavy lifting (literally) and just figured i needed a break. Friday coughed up a few (tiny) flecks of blood, but that went away overnight when i turned on the humidifier. like overnight gone. typical early winter stuff.

Saturday evening the liquid brown eye hit for my birthday and i was doing everything i could to keep any liquid in me for more than about 15-20 mins. Went away after 24 ish hours, so just chalked it up as stomach flu doing to being exhausted. Its December - nobody gets the stomach flu in December eh?

by Tuesday morning - i'm hocking up raspberries. not a ton of them, but there's more red there than anything. google says possible bronchitis (but i have no real congestion - as an ex smoker i KNOW what bronch feels like) or bacterial pneumonia (not even mentioning covid). Decide that Wednesday i need to see the doc to see whats going on.

Go in, tell em what's going on, doc listens to me, says ya you sound raw, lets check an x-ray. Yup - you're all inflamed. Want a covid test? Sure why not, lets eliminate it or not. They had one of the rapid ones that still tickles your eyeballs thru your sinuses. sign me up doc, lets do it.

20 mins later they're checking my blood oxygen levels, and have me hooked up to a bottle like you'd see a old lady at the bingo hall smoking while breathing from and telling me i get to go visit the hospital for a day or so.

"no sir i'm sorry, you cant drive your truck home"
"wait what?"
"yea you need to check in like... in the next hour. you can call someone to give you a ride there to save $ on the bambulance" "Your truck can stay in the lot" "only until i can get someone here to get it out of the lot before someone steals all my f'ing tools!"

5 days later, more blood work than i wanna think about, getting woke up at all hours of the night to get poked, prodded, bp checked, oxygen checked, pulse checked (arent i on an EKG monitor?), take these pills now, here's your Remdisivir IV, IV steroids and enough vitamins to make my dad's dr's pill writing look weak.... i finally get discharged.

I'm still quarantined until at least the 21st, and wont be back to 100% capacity for who knows how long as my lungs recover from this pneumonia crap, but its at least nice to be able to take a shower (which apparently is a no-no when they have you on an EKG machine?) and sleep in my own freaking bed.

and i'm still breathing through an oxygen tube for the foreseeable short term (which they cant again tell me how long)

what a freaking nightmare

as a parting laugh from the hospital yesterday afternoon.... the nurse asks me how i feel about taking the upcoming vaccine? i had to laugh and not make fun of him as i explained i would refuse to take the vaccine since i just earned my antibodies the old fashioned way. i know he was just trying to make small talk but come on man... buy a clue lol

thankfully he realized how silly he just looked and got a chuckle too... but yea.. lol
Hey man I'm glad you are doing better!
Hell I'm glad everyone here is doing better.
I lost a distant cousin to it a couple of months ago. His health was not great to begin with and was not enough to standup to COVID.

This damn thing is like Russian Roulette. Some have no issues or little issue, and then some have no chance. I heard good news about the 27yr old Boston Red Sox Pitcher (Eduardo Rodriguez ) a couple of months ago. He tested COVID positive on July 7th and was finally cleared to be able to resume walking the 2nd week of October! Four month's for a pro athlete, its crazy.

I hope everyone here stays safe and has a Merry Christmas! This reminds me to check on my aunt. She got it about 2.5 weeks ago and was having a hell of a time shaking it. No hospital visits needed and I hope it stays that way.
Saxon
Silent Operator

Post by Saxon »

on the lighter side happy brown eye i mean birthday :D
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Damn plant, that sucks! But at least it waited until you had killed some deer!

I’ll send up some prayers for a continued recovery.

Like TBM said, some get it and are hit hard, some sail through easily.

Mrs BS and I got it late October. For me it was like a fairly bad allergy day. She felt like she had a good cold with a very painful throat for four or so days. Then it went away. We had a few weeks of lack of smell and taste, but that is returning.

On a humorous note, we made some venison breakfast sausage while quarantined at home; seasoned it so it tasted good to our covid-diminished taste buds. First time having some post-covid, holy f&$k it lit me up! We need ta halve the red pepper!

Get well my friend.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Does not sound like much fun at all. Hopefully that won't be your Christmas present to the rest of the family :shock:

Glad you're on the mend, stay healthy sir.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Well, yeah that kind of sucks. Glad you are on the mend.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Dang it man, glad to hear you are on the mend! I have asbestos related lung junk and some dust allergies, so I try to be cautious. Part of my routine is taking a vitamin D/D3 and zinc supplement. So far so good, been tested twice before a recent knee surgery.

Here's wishing a peaceful and healthy Holiday season and continued good health 8)
dtanner

Post by dtanner »

Thanks all for posting. Hope everyone makes a full recovery.

Ketosis is an awesome tool.
NRA Life Member, NRA Certified Instructor