the Covid got me

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: the Covid got me

Post by rebel »

Always said you were full of shit Vent. This confirms it :lol: Glad you''re on the mend brother.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

noname wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:37 pm
BJK wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:45 am I don't argue with anyone about me not taking the vaccine. It's none of their business for starters, and it's my body. I'll do what I want with it. I've seen the result of their medical advice re: diet and heart disease, and statins and they lie. So the med' establishment is the last place I go to for their "advice". I learned many years ago that a starving man doesn't need to have bread advertised to him to know that he needs to eat. The only things that need "selling" are things that we don't need. The more the lying med' establishment pushes the vaccine the more they harden my resolve to not get it.
Trouble is it is not your body in the Covid era if you spread it. You can look up the stats and it is easy to determine the elderly, like me do not do well with Covid. If you are past 70 like me, and want to roll the dice just keep to yourself, isolated from society.

Think about tetanus, polio, smallpox "red" measles and other community based diseases that now have vaccines. I hope you will at least wear a N95 mask, stay as far away from others in a community setting, and other ways of preventing diseases.

Early on in my medical career, there was a certain group of parents who did not want their kids to get vaccines for common childhood diseases before starting school. There was a 1:10,000 chance of severe reaction to the MMR vaccine. They want everybody else to get the vaccine to protect their kids.
I have not reached 70, yet but was born in the 50's, so I am getting close :shock: I took all the vaccines growing up except the small pox which I was allergic to some ingredients so had to skip that. But, I am thankful for all those other kids and people who got the small pox vaccine that allowed someone like me who could not take it to not get it.

I got my second covid shot 2 weeks ago. Glad I did, and I realize it only offers about 95% protection, as that is better then nothing. I have a asthma history and don't need to be fighting covid if I can avoid it. I still try to keep my distance from people and wear a mask to protect me a little and protect them as well. I try to stay away from people who don't give a rats behind about me much less themselves. Don't be crying if you get it and didn't use common sense protections that are available. YMMV JMHO
hunter00004

Bronchitis

Post by hunter00004 »

Bronchitis is a respiratory problem that causes inflammation in the bronchial tube. In bronchitis, the lining of bronchial tubes or windpipes gets swollen or inflamed. Bronchial tube plays a very important role in exchanging gas, it carries gas to and away from the lungs. In bronchitis, the bronchial tube gets inflamed which causes irritation and pain, and people cough with thickened mucus.
for more information visit our site:
Know tablet
Rohyncame

Post by Rohyncame »

I recently had an omicron - generally, it was not so scary. Remembering in the first 2 days I was particularly feverish and it seemed that I could not breathe air with full lungs. But the doctor reassured me that there is no pneumonia with this strain. After a couple of days I was already as fit as a fiddle.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

glad to hear you had a quick recovery.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
GSO
Silent But Deadly

Post by GSO »

I thought about commenting on a few posts, but decided, especially after returning to the community after a lengthy absence, to just tell several stories.

First, for those who may or may not remember me, I was quite active here in the mid-2010's during the height of the 6.8 SPC vs 300 BLK wars. (I think we all agree which caliber won....). I started beekeeping in 2015 when my wife also got laying hens. Pretty soon, the "gateway livestock" (hens) lead to a half dozen registered Nubian dairy goats. Goats do what goats do, and they need to do it so you can milk them, and we're up to a herd oVaf 16. Anyway, farming along with my day job to the US Army has kept me busy.

Back to COVID. I have been teleworking for my day job as a Supervisory Electronics Engineer for over 2 years. We are starting to transition back to a blend of office and telework now. Vaccines were mandated by DoD unless you wanted to apply for a health or religious exemption. Like a good (retired) soldier, I lined up and got shots. My wife also got hers.

Reset the stage to Arkansas (I'm in Texas) where my 27 YO son was living with his fiance and her family in 2020. One of the daughters went to some sort a large outdoor party on a trip to Ohio and stopped to visit the family on her way back to Central Texas. Only the father ("V") was home at the time and she wound up giving him COVID in June or so of 2020. He died of complications about a month later. This messes the family up pretty well financially and emotionally. Fast forward to summer of 2021 and my son is doing contract work in Mississippi and his (now) ex-fiance cheats on him and gets fired for drug use (meth, I believe). So they break up and he calls one Saturday to tell me he's moving back to Texas. Before I could ask "when", he says he's got the U-Haul loaded and leaving in 10 minutes.

He gets here and starts work a couple weeks later as an A/V technician installing equipment in schools here in Central Texas and is settling in nicely. In November, he gets his second Pfizer COVID vaccine and 5 days later comes into our bedroom saying he is lightheaded. He wanted me to test his blook sugar (I'm type 2 diabetic so have the meter) and it was 98, which is pretty much perfect. He walked across the hall to his bedroom and my wife and I hear a crash. He was on the floor having what looked like a seizure. I stabilized his head while my wife called 911. The rest was a blur, but I got a copy of the 911 transcript to fill in the blanks. About 3 minutes into the call, he turned dark purple and then stopped breathing and lost pulse. I did compressions for about 10 minutes, then my wife took over for a couple minutes while I opened the front door and cleared the way for responders. The Troy Volunteer Fire Department showed up and their EMT's (the Fire Captain is also a full time Firefighter/EMT for the neighboring city of Temple) took over CPR. They worked for 20 minutes and pushed 3 rounds of epinephrine with defib shocks in between and finally got sinus rhythm back. Once stable, they took him to the ER 15 minutes away. That was honestly the most horrible, traumatic half hour of my life. He aspirated vomit and had to be intubated, so was moved to the ICU.

Next day, echo showed EF (ejection fraction) of 10-15, where normal is 50-75%. He had suffered full cardiac arrest due to ventricular tachycardia/fibrillation. The staff started coordinating for a heart transplant that afternoon. They got him scheduled for a cardiac cath the next day and were planning on a biopsy as well to see how damaged the heart muscle was. They did another echo in the cath lab and it had gone up to 45 overnight. They just did the left cath (I think) to measure pressures and shoot pictures of the arteries. Pressures were good and arteries clear. They weaned him off the vent the next day and did a cardiac MRI two days after that and EF was up to 65. When the images were reviewed, only one of the cardiologists (who apparently "the" expert on reading images) could note any swelling, but he did confirm myocarditis. Had they done the MRI earlier it was likely more visible and acute, but they claimed he needed to be conscious first. The cardiologist did insist on him wearing a defibrillator vest for 3 months (and want to implant one...passed on that), but echo and cardiac MRI at 3 months showed absolutely normal heart function. Also miraculous is that there is no apparent neurological deficit after 30 minutes of CPR. The rep that fitted him with the Zoll vest said that typical survival for cardiac arrest not in a hospital is 4%, so also feeling blessed by that. This combined with the estimated 2-11% success rate of CPR are really scary now after the fact. I'm glad I didn't know these things before and wish I still didn't know.

in the months since, my younger brother, a Pediatric Pulmonologist, has sent me some articles from the JAMA and NEJM on high incidences of myocarditis in juvenile and young males after the first (20%) or second (80%) Pfizer vaccine. Apparently, the UK, Norway and Hong Kong have suspended giving young men a second Pfizer dose and I believe others are likely to follow suit. So there is certainly mounting evidence that our rush to immunize everyone rather than just those most at risk has to harm to a significant number of young men. Granted, risk is low, but that would be little consolation had my son not survived. He's been back at work with no limitation for 3 or so months now, but is not planning on a COVID booster or even a flu shot....

All of us have been affected negatively by COVID in one way or another. It is not a simple issue nor is it going away soon. I pray for blessings on everyone since we're all in this together. If you've hung in this long, thanks for listening. Talking is therapeutic and I do still have the occasional PTS moment.
I don't collect firearms; they just accumulate...

"Be Prepared" - My motto from an early age.

Greg
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

GSO wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:24 pm I thought about commenting on a few posts, but decided, especially after returning to the community after a lengthy absence, to just tell several stories.

First, for those who may or may not remember me, I was quite active here in the mid-2010's during the height of the 6.8 SPC vs 300 BLK wars. (I think we all agree which caliber won....). I started beekeeping in 2015 when my wife also got laying hens. Pretty soon, the "gateway livestock" (hens) lead to a half dozen registered Nubian dairy goats. Goats do what goats do, and they need to do it so you can milk them, and we're up to a herd oVaf 16. Anyway, farming along with my day job to the US Army has kept me busy.

Back to COVID. I have been teleworking for my day job as a Supervisory Electronics Engineer for over 2 years. We are starting to transition back to a blend of office and telework now. Vaccines were mandated by DoD unless you wanted to apply for a health or religious exemption. Like a good (retired) soldier, I lined up and got shots. My wife also got hers.

Reset the stage to Arkansas (I'm in Texas) where my 27 YO son was living with his fiance and her family in 2020. One of the daughters went to some sort a large outdoor party on a trip to Ohio and stopped to visit the family on her way back to Central Texas. Only the father ("V") was home at the time and she wound up giving him COVID in June or so of 2020. He died of complications about a month later. This messes the family up pretty well financially and emotionally. Fast forward to summer of 2021 and my son is doing contract work in Mississippi and his (now) ex-fiance cheats on him and gets fired for drug use (meth, I believe). So they break up and he calls one Saturday to tell me he's moving back to Texas. Before I could ask "when", he says he's got the U-Haul loaded and leaving in 10 minutes.

He gets here and starts work a couple weeks later as an A/V technician installing equipment in schools here in Central Texas and is settling in nicely. In November, he gets his second Pfizer COVID vaccine and 5 days later comes into our bedroom saying he is lightheaded. He wanted me to test his blook sugar (I'm type 2 diabetic so have the meter) and it was 98, which is pretty much perfect. He walked across the hall to his bedroom and my wife and I hear a crash. He was on the floor having what looked like a seizure. I stabilized his head while my wife called 911. The rest was a blur, but I got a copy of the 911 transcript to fill in the blanks. About 3 minutes into the call, he turned dark purple and then stopped breathing and lost pulse. I did compressions for about 10 minutes, then my wife took over for a couple minutes while I opened the front door and cleared the way for responders. The Troy Volunteer Fire Department showed up and their EMT's (the Fire Captain is also a full time Firefighter/EMT for the neighboring city of Temple) took over CPR. They worked for 20 minutes and pushed 3 rounds of epinephrine with defib shocks in between and finally got sinus rhythm back. Once stable, they took him to the ER 15 minutes away. That was honestly the most horrible, traumatic half hour of my life. He aspirated vomit and had to be intubated, so was moved to the ICU.

Next day, echo showed EF (ejection fraction) of 10-15, where normal is 50-75%. He had suffered full cardiac arrest due to ventricular tachycardia/fibrillation. The staff started coordinating for a heart transplant that afternoon. They got him scheduled for a cardiac cath the next day and were planning on a biopsy as well to see how damaged the heart muscle was. They did another echo in the cath lab and it had gone up to 45 overnight. They just did the left cath (I think) to measure pressures and shoot pictures of the arteries. Pressures were good and arteries clear. They weaned him off the vent the next day and did a cardiac MRI two days after that and EF was up to 65. When the images were reviewed, only one of the cardiologists (who apparently "the" expert on reading images) could note any swelling, but he did confirm myocarditis. Had they done the MRI earlier it was likely more visible and acute, but they claimed he needed to be conscious first. The cardiologist did insist on him wearing a defibrillator vest for 3 months (and want to implant one...passed on that), but echo and cardiac MRI at 3 months showed absolutely normal heart function. Also miraculous is that there is no apparent neurological deficit after 30 minutes of CPR. The rep that fitted him with the Zoll vest said that typical survival for cardiac arrest not in a hospital is 4%, so also feeling blessed by that. This combined with the estimated 2-11% success rate of CPR are really scary now after the fact. I'm glad I didn't know these things before and wish I still didn't know.

in the months since, my younger brother, a Pediatric Pulmonologist, has sent me some articles from the JAMA and NEJM on high incidences of myocarditis in juvenile and young males after the first (20%) or second (80%) Pfizer vaccine. Apparently, the UK, Norway and Hong Kong have suspended giving young men a second Pfizer dose and I believe others are likely to follow suit. So there is certainly mounting evidence that our rush to immunize everyone rather than just those most at risk has to harm to a significant number of young men. Granted, risk is low, but that would be little consolation had my son not survived. He's been back at work with no limitation for 3 or so months now, but is not planning on a COVID booster or even a flu shot....

All of us have been affected negatively by COVID in one way or another. It is not a simple issue nor is it going away soon. I pray for blessings on everyone since we're all in this together. If you've hung in this long, thanks for listening. Talking is therapeutic and I do still have the occasional PTS moment.
Thanks for the insights. Is a crazy disease, and the cure doesn’t seem to be any more predictable. You’re motto of being prepared cold not have been better displayed.

Mostly good to have you and your experience checking back in.

Take good care of the family.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

glad to have you back and glad your story had a mostly happy ending.

what a hot mess this whole virus experience has been - and likely will continue to be for years to come due to the many missteps - on society. :cry:
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.