understanding "trending" social media advertising

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

understanding "trending" social media advertising

Post by plant.one »

I know I post a LOT, but it's very rarely that I ask people to read and share a specific link or article.

I'd like to make this one of those rare occasions.

If you spend any amount of time on social media, please take 15 or 20 mins and read thru this... it will likely change the way you view "viral" or "trending" items on the internet forever - or at least until this practice of buying and selling fake social media followers/likes/retweets/views is abolished/banned by these services we use.

And please - take a moment and share this to your personal circles online. The more people that digest this information the better all of our social media interaction will be.

And if you want to go above and beyond - send a copy of this to the folks who run the social media platform you use the most and tell them how disgusting it is and that you want them to do something about it.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -bots.html
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Re: understanding "trending" social media advertising

Post by hardcase »

plant.one wrote:I know I post a LOT, but it's very rarely that I ask people to read and share a specific link or article.

I'd like to make this one of those rare occasions.

If you spend any amount of time on social media, please take 15 or 20 mins and read thru this... it will likely change the way you view "viral" or "trending" items on the internet forever - or at least until this practice of buying and selling fake social media followers/likes/retweets/views is abolished/banned by these services we use.

And please - take a moment and share this to your personal circles online. The more people that digest this information the better all of our social media interaction will be.

And if you want to go above and beyond - send a copy of this to the folks who run the social media platform you use the most and tell them how disgusting it is and that you want them to do something about it.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -bots.html
I look at twitter from time-to-time, maybe once in 3-4 days. I have a Facebook account but have not looked at it in years. Facebook turned into a let me show you pictures of my children or let me sell you whatever. Not worth my time.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

Damn after reading that article I gained 1800 followers :shock:

Thanks for the post just confirms social media is mostly bullshit. 300 Blktalk is an exception to the rule.
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

I don’t have, nor ever will have accounts on Facebook and such accounts. Nothing but crapola! Waiting on the Day lawsuits against these social media outlets for screwing up their lives. Just a matter of time.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

What does "trending" mean anyway? My wife looks good tonight, she is trending. Whoops, she is snoring on the recliner, she is not trending.
What the hell is this millennial BS anyway? Who gives a crap - which is probably Plant's point in the first place. I'm older, impatient and infinitely more likely to ignore trending, if I knew what that meant. :shock:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

rebel wrote:What does "trending" mean anyway? My wife looks good tonight, she is trending. Whoops, she is snoring on the recliner, she is not trending.
What the hell is this millennial BS anyway? Who gives a crap - which is probably Plant's point in the first place. I'm older, impatient and infinitely more likely to ignore trending, if I knew what that meant. :shock:
Agreed, Rebel - there are lots of things that are 'trending' (aka becoming popular) that are by no means a good thing. Social Media and TidePods come immediately to mind....

TidePods have the advantage, however, of cleansing the gene pool, figuratively and literally...
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Sithlord wrote:
rebel wrote:What does "trending" mean anyway? My wife looks good tonight, she is trending. Whoops, she is snoring on the recliner, she is not trending.
Agreed, Rebel - there are lots of things that are 'trending' (aka becoming popular) that are by no means a good thing. Social Media and TidePods come immediately to mind....

TidePods have the advantage, however, of cleansing the gene pool, figuratively and literally...
Tide pods are child’s play.

Try the “no lackin challenge”
http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/373 ... goes-wrong

Trending in a hood near you
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

DARWIN RULES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We just need one mass Darwin Event. Overcrowding .. gone, food shortages .. gone, safe space whiners .. gone. The world would be a much better place.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Another scary detail about young folks is 70% or so get their daily news from social media. Thinking about it, TV news is probably biased too. Fox conservative, MSNBC liberal or the latest liberals calling themselves progressive. At least with traditional news sources you can get different points of view from different channels.

We have a son in the millennial group. He got sucked into the "I am progressive, therefore by default I am an intelligent, open-minded person". He is not old enough or makes enough to get all his income vacuumed up by some form of government. In my prime earning years 61% of my gross income was going to some form of tax (state, federal, Social Security tax, property, sales, specialty sin taxes, cell phone tax, TV reception tax) and others. Another big chunk to the church and insurance companies or home interest charges to banks.

I figured time to retire and downsize house. The basics of life, as the song goes.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

dellet wrote:
Sithlord wrote:

Tide pods are child’s play.

Try the “no lackin challenge”
http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/373 ... goes-wrong

Trending in a hood near you
Looks like the hood version of the military's coin challenge. Unfortunately, for POTG, this challenge isn't a good one.. It reinforces the 'progressive' ideal that The People simply cannot be trusted with firearms. Unfortunately, for a certain segment of the population, that might very well be true. Then again, they are videoing and posting themselves committing crimes (assault/brandishing/reckless endangerment).