300AAC chambers

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

HeadedToTexas

300AAC chambers

Post by HeadedToTexas »

My first post at 300BlkTalk!

It's taking a while, but I am getting in to 300 Blackout. I have a Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK and just finished an AR build in 300BLK. My early loads were loaded with 150 grain FMJ, but my real mission is subsonic suppressed work, so I loaded up several hundred rounds with 245 grain HiTek coated lead from Missouri Bullet Company. The long bullets produced an initial COAL of 2.250".

They chambered without incident in the Ruger bolt gun, but the AR would not go in to battery until I set the bullets back to a COAL of 2.007". Works fine in both now and it makes me think I was just able to overcome the resistance of pressing the flattish nose of the bullet into the lands with the bolt gun, but not the spring and inertia world of the AR closing bolt.

Anyway, should not all 300AAC chambers be the same? Does that not include the shape of the lands? Thanks.
excess650
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300AAC chambers

Post by excess650 »

Bore and groove diameters vary by manufacturer, and then there is cut rifling, button rifling and hammer forged.....numbers of grooves vary, 5R, polygonal, etc.... All chambers are not cut by the same reamer, not all barrels are the same steel. Yes, there is going to be some variation in chambers. If your barrel isn't chrome lined or melonite, you might be able to run a throater in there to lengthen and/or enlarge the throat.
Black Rifles Matter
HeadedToTexas

Post by HeadedToTexas »

It seems attractive to develop one load that will run in both guns, but not if accuracy suffers. Still some work to do.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

who made the barrel?
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

HeadedToTexas wrote:My first post at 300BlkTalk!

It's taking a while, but I am getting in to 300 Blackout. I have a Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK and just finished an AR build in 300BLK. My early loads were loaded with 150 grain FMJ, but my real mission is subsonic suppressed work, so I loaded up several hundred rounds with 245 grain HiTek coated lead from Missouri Bullet Company. The long bullets produced an initial COAL of 2.250".

They chambered without incident in the Ruger bolt gun, but the AR would not go in to battery until I set the bullets back to a COAL of 2.007". Works fine in both now and it makes me think I was just able to overcome the resistance of pressing the flattish nose of the bullet into the lands with the bolt gun, but not the spring and inertia world of the AR closing bolt.

Anyway, should not all 300AAC chambers be the same? Does that not include the shape of the lands? Thanks.
Did you test these loads first for velocity and stability? Also do you have a suppressor yet?
HeadedToTexas

Post by HeadedToTexas »

Yikes! 2016? Between NFA jail and shopping months, it's been a long time. Finally got a Griffin Optimus.