Looking for a new bolt action - opinions appreciated in 308

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Snow Man

Re: Looking for a new bolt action - opinions appreciated in 308

Post by Snow Man »

Has anyone had any experience with the browning x-bolt? Was shown one this week, nice and trim but not sure if I like that mag design. locally I don't know any one who has one.
martineta
Silent But Deadly

Post by martineta »

Badger175 wrote:I haven't seen it suggested yet, so I will throw in my personal 308 winner.
Ruger Scout.
Now now, I know they aren't the most popular, but it fits some of your original criteria. Lightweight for sure, but it's accurate as heck. I have gotten half inch groups out of mine with hand loads at 100 yards. Sure it's got a 16" barrel, so don't plan on going out too far with it, but I'd trust it anywhere out to 300, given that I'm not a great shot anyway. Also, if you are going to use a can, it's threaded. +++
I bought my scout in Nov. Sighted in with my suppressor on same day with 150 gr supersonic Nosler Partition handloads. Sighted in for 200 yard zero Leupold 3.5 10x VX3. The following day shot to does in a field at 250 yds. Bang drop both with two shots in the boiler room. Third doe just stood there waiting for her two girlfriends to quit napping. Yeah,,, think I'll keep the scout for awhile.
M. Kenneth Burnett
Hunting Lodge Owner
Paraguay & Uruguay
mrgein
Silent But Deadly

Post by mrgein »

Mossbergs MVP Predator in .308 is nice. not light weight, but takes AR10 mags. if that is appealing to you. i dont believe they offer factory threaded barrels yet either.
dillon 650xl
AAC 16" upper
AAC NiB full auto BCG
Raptor CH
KAC URX3.1 13.5"
Ambush lower
Geissele SSA trigger
Savvy Sniper Quad Dual QD sling
IMR 4227
Hornady Custom Dies
Snow Man

Post by Snow Man »

Went with the glossy browning medallion x-bolt in 308. Once rings come in it'll be sending rounds down range 8)
TNFrank61
Senior Silent Operator

Post by TNFrank61 »

The Savage 110 is a fairly accurate rifle and with the way the barrel attaches you can easily change barrels as long as you've got the proper "Go" "No Go" headspace guages. Also Ruger makes some nice rifles but Remington is good too. I guess just see what's available and what price you can get and go from there.
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.
tag2501
Silent Operator

Post by tag2501 »

can't go wrong with the model 70 featherweight. very nicely built and shoots really well. the new FN made rifles are very solid and well made. if you look at the specs you'll see it's not really a "feather" weight but is a pound less than the 70 sporter. recoil is fine and very accurate.

i have a Remington 700 and the new Winchester. no comparison in feel. W wins hands down, although the Remington shoots just about as well
best regards

not all that glitters is gold
not all who wander are lost
Snow Man

Post by Snow Man »

Well, after 20 years of being around rifles, shotguns, and pistols... I finally screwed one up...I think

My leupold dd rings & bases came in for the x-bolt, and as usual I proceeded with the install like I've done so many times before. Then the nightmare began, the x-bolt has 4-screw bases, and one of the screws that came with the bases sheared ! I was using the supplied torx wrench, and a usual amount of torque. I've never sheared a screw like that, so I was sick. Looked up browning service centers near me and called one up in Baton Rouge.

The employee listened to my tale of sorrow, then said its not the first one he's heard of. Kind of a dirty secret with the x-bolts. Their base holes are very shallow, and two forward most holes are a few thousands shallower......

So as I post this, my new 308 is at the doctor. I can't help but think was it all my fault, leupold's supplied screws, Browning's design, or all the above... Rant over
Badfinger
Silent But Deadly

Post by Badfinger »

I got there too late, checkout this factory Mossberg.

All new .223/.308 target rifles sporting the MDT LSS lightweight aluminum chassis and Magpul CTR Adjustable stock, MOE Pistol Grip, and 10-round P-Mag. Bipod Included.
MSRP: $1438.00