.277 Wolverine Info

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

MDWS
Silent But Deadly

Re: .277 Wolverine Info

Post by MDWS »

USBP379 wrote:
MDWS wrote:
Boolit_Head wrote:Seems like getting barrels is the major stumbling block. I am not seeing many available.
That was the case, agreed, but not any longer. We have our own shop now and have been stocking up and selling out routinely... now we have a rythym and you will see lots and lots of barrels in stock consistently.
Anyone else tooling up to make barrels? Maybe contact Ballistic Advantage or Faxon and see what either (or both) think about making barrels. Both companies seem to have a good reputation for cost vs performance.

What about suitable hunting bullets? I know there are the TNT and Sierra hollow points but what about something like a 90gr Pro Hunter or Hot Cor? These should be right in the Wolverine's sweet spot for velocity while being much cheaper than the comparable Barmes, etc.
It would be great to get them on board, but as you know, until the cartridge goes SAAMI most folks are hesitant. That's why it's our goal to always have as many barrels in stock in as many options as possible. X-Caliber is already on board, I think Radical should be up soon, and we'll see what else shows up in the next few weeks/months as tooling gets produced for folks I don't know about. Match Grade Machine has reamer sot make TC/Encore barrels, and there's talk of Accuracy Systems getting tooled up to make Mini-14 barrels as well.
-Mark

Mad Dog Weapon Systems, Inc.

maddogweapons.com
MDWS
Silent But Deadly

Post by MDWS »

Boolit_Head wrote:I am curious about the different twist rates and appropriate weights of bullets. I've seen mention of issues running inappropriate weights such as heavy bullets in 1:10 barrels and accuracy issues. Some of it seems fairly simple such as if you only want to use the lighter supersonic stay with the 1:10 or 1:11 barrels. On the other end the heavies should stay with the faster 1:7 twist rates. It seems I am interested in the grey area that SBR's seem to fall in. I am curious about shorter barrels in the 10 to 12 inch range and a mixture of supersonic and subsonic loads for suppressed use. I suppose the faster twist rate would be appropriate there but is there issues of over stabilization of the lighter bullets? What is the range of bullet weights for subsonic use?

As a side question what are the expansion results of the lighter subsonic loads and what weights are they? It seems the weak point of the Blackout is reliable expansion at lower velocities due to bullets that are designed to be driven faster. Putting the high end specialty bullets aside, are the off the shelf bullets achieving any expansion at lower velocities?

I'm still researching load data to get a grip on this cartridge but it looks very interesting.
Those are all great questions.

For Subs and Supers, you need the 1:7 Twist to stabilize the 150-205 grain bullets. They are long for caliber obviously, and need the faster twist rate. The 1:7 Twist barrels have specific gas system lengths and gas ports so one can run both supers and subs. The 1:11 Twist barrels are for Supersonic only (won't stabilize or cycle subs). For example, a 16" 1:11 has a mid-length gas system with a specific port size. The 1:7 Twist 16" has a Carbine length gas system and a specific port size. The "standard" in most "6.8" shooters' minds is 1:11, so that's what we use on the supersonic-only barrels. Obviously either the Supersonic or Subsonic loads can be shot suppressed.

The 175 grain Copper Expanding bullets we had made specifically for us/the Wolverine (you can use them in a 1:7 6.8SPC as well), expand well below 800fps and are very nasty... solid 75 yard ranges no issue for Deer hunting subsonic (we call it expended Archery but with a rifle). The Coated Cast bullets we offer currently are at 195 grains. Both stabilize without issue in the 1:7 barrels. The Cast act like solids almost with a BN of 18 or so, and basically begin to tumble on impact causing a nasty wound.

Here's a picture of the 175 grain into ballistic gel at 800fps:

-Mark

maddogweapons.com
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

Thanks for confirming what I suspected.
Seachaser

Post by Seachaser »

Just picked one up to play with. (Barrel). Where does one get dies and/ or loaded ammo?
Thanks.
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

Seachaser

Post by Seachaser »

Thanks! How about loaded ammo? Everywhere I have looked, says out of stock.
Boolit_Head
Silent But Deadly

Post by Boolit_Head »

It's not SAMMI approved yet so the big guys probably won't have it.

MDWS - How is that SAMMI submission progressing?
MDWS
Silent But Deadly

Post by MDWS »

Seachaser wrote:
Thanks! How about loaded ammo? Everywhere I have looked, says out of stock.
JB's Firearms is about to roll out a lot of stock.... 9 TNT loads, 95TTSX loads and 100AB loads. Just hit him up, his name is Bruce, super good guy.

Edit:

Here you go (he even has subs in stock) https://www.jbsfirearms.com/category-s/1831.htm
-Mark

maddogweapons.com
USBP379
Silent But Deadly

Post by USBP379 »

Here's something that should interest 277WLV fans:

https://igg.me/at/KFo0H9rMinI/emal/16724823
jeremyharris

Post by jeremyharris »