Pistol AR's: why?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

mrgein
Silent But Deadly

Pistol AR's: why?

Post by mrgein »

I just don't get the allure of the pistol AR's. is it just something most people do because they can or what. i just don't get the niche it fills. it seems like its a waste because alot of the powder is going to be burnt in air. or do you under charge these things?
dillon 650xl
AAC 16" upper
AAC NiB full auto BCG
Raptor CH
KAC URX3.1 13.5"
Ambush lower
Geissele SSA trigger
Savvy Sniper Quad Dual QD sling
IMR 4227
Hornady Custom Dies
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Re: Pistol AR's: why?

Post by Omega »

mrgein wrote:I just don't get the allure of the pistol AR's. is it just something most people do because they can or what. i just don't get the niche it fills. it seems like its a waste because alot of the powder is going to be burnt in air. or do you under charge these things?
The allure is legal in my case, with a pistol you have no restrictions like an SBR and technically you can carry it loaded in a vehicle or on your person if you have a carry permit. As for powder, it burns in the first 9" so no waste there.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

mrgein wrote:I just don't get the allure of the pistol AR's. is it just something most people do because they can or what. i just don't get the niche it fills. it seems like its a waste because alot of the powder is going to be burnt in air. or do you under charge these things?
I never cared for a pistol config until I wanted to get very compact and light weight especially when my suppressor adds over 6" to my rifles. Additionally shortening a 300BLK barrel does not have the adverse affects of shortening a 5.56 barrel.

Once I built the pistol config I then tried to find optics that I would like that would work with extra long eye relief so I didn't need to try and use the tube as a stock or try and cheek weld to the buffer tube. The long eye relief optics were well over $200-$400 and were not even in the same ballpark as the $400 optics I could put on a regular AR configuration. The math then became simple for me to pay $200 to SBR the rifle and use an existing scope.

So I went from never wanting a pistol but wanting something very compact especially with my suppressor on and ended up with a 7.5" barrel 300 BLK SBR. I still need to take it out and make sure it runs the way I like.

Additional plans specific to me are to use that rifle with my DIY quick detatch digital night vision setup. I put my DIY NV setup on hold until the rifle is up and running and then I have plans to rig up that rifle to use the NV plus potentially work with a single scope configuration when the NV is on or off. It is more of a fun project than anything else but everything is looking promising to have a compact night time nightmare for hog/coyote hunting :)
mrgein
Silent But Deadly

Post by mrgein »

ok sorry i was more talking about a .223/5.56 pistol, i can totally see why in a 300blk since it has such a lower powder charge than a 223/5.56 and larger caliber and ability to supress.

ok it makes much more sense once i wrap my head around the idea that it is classified as a pistol and can be carried as such.
dillon 650xl
AAC 16" upper
AAC NiB full auto BCG
Raptor CH
KAC URX3.1 13.5"
Ambush lower
Geissele SSA trigger
Savvy Sniper Quad Dual QD sling
IMR 4227
Hornady Custom Dies
Ciliman21
Silent Operator

Post by Ciliman21 »

In CA we cant have SBR. So a pistol from a 80% lower built as a single shot with a sig brace is the closed we can get. I love mine by the way.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Gyrkin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gyrkin »

If short barreled rifles were not Class 3, AR pistols would be practically nonexistent.
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Post by Overton-AR »

Gyrkin wrote:If short barreled rifles were not Class 3, AR pistols would be practically nonexistent.

^^THIS^^

That being said, they have gained popularity, and there are reasons for having them.....

1) A CCW allows you to have a fully loaded pistol in your car.
2) You get a pistol stolen, you simply file a police report.
3) It requires no ATF registration as an SBR and no tax stamp, trust or waiting period.
4) you can carry a pistol concealed legally, not the case with an SBR.
5) It requires no engraving as an SBR.

Now, each of the 4 pistols I have built, I eventually got the stamp for and now I have 4 SBRs. But I also have a spare pistol lower that I can put ANY of my uppers on and fully enjoy all the benefits of having a pistol.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

until I got a sig brace I was hell bent for leather to sbr a lower . now not so much . another benefit for me is by keeping my pistol configurtion I can use mine to hunt the alternative method season for deer and extend my season another 10 days.
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

Some people might build Blackout Pistols for the novelty and maybe so they can have a short upper legally in the house for SHTF situations. I built mine to be short and make big noises in my house without having to get a stamp and ending up on the "visit these houses first" list.
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
Jim Timber
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jim Timber »

300BLK is the perfect round for short AR's due to the powders used. Excellent option instead of other pistol caliber sub guns for a PDW.

I built my second 5.56 7.5" upper for a demonstration rig for STD's. No other reason for it. It's the most vivid demonstration of what the device is capable of that I have. Beyond that, it's a range toy.
https://squareup.com/market/SimpleThreadedDevices
https://www.facebook.com/SimpleThreadedDevices