300 BLK Crushing Brass on a New Build

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

typz2slo

300 BLK Crushing Brass on a New Build

Post by typz2slo »

My son and I have assembled our first AR in a 300 BLK. The problem is that it is crushing the mouth of the case at about 5 oclock when looking into the chamber. Different mags, different manufactured brass produce the same results. Hand feeding a round and then drop the bolt it does not crush the case mouth.The brass are trimmed to 1.364". If I hand chamber a round. The pic is of the feedramps and receiver. Is the lineup off enough to cause the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 BLK Crushing Brass on a New Build

Post by smustian »

Only wear that I see is at the 7 o'clock position of the feed ramp. Nothing is obvious to give denting at 5 o'clock.
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

Any pictures of the deformed brass?
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
typz2slo

Post by typz2slo »

shouldnt be any wear at all. It has never been fired
typz2slo

Post by typz2slo »

InMyHumbleOpinion
Silent But Deadly

Post by InMyHumbleOpinion »

Might try a little crimp.
typz2slo

Post by typz2slo »

The bullet is a Lee 230gr TL. Ended up running the COL to 2.250" and a slight crimp. I can just see a mark but not bending the brass so maybe I will load a few with powder an see how they run. Also would it hurt anything to soften the sharp edge of the chamber mouth? This barrel looks like it has a sharp edge compared to others i have looked at.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

typz2slo wrote:The bullet is a Lee 230gr TL. Ended up running the COL to 2.250" and a slight crimp. I can just see a mark but not bending the brass so maybe I will load a few with powder an see how they run. Also would it hurt anything to soften the sharp edge of the chamber mouth? This barrel looks like it has a sharp edge compared to others i have looked at.
I would not do anything to the chamber yet. If it ends up being a barrel/chamber problem then you would have voided the warranty.
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

The problem is that your bullets appear to be seated too deep in the case. The pic is not clear but it looks like there is a section of unsupported brass right at the case mouth. This is why the case is being crushed. If the bullet is seated longer it will support the case mouth and prevent it being crushed.
Khackee

Post by Khackee »

What brand barrel is it?
We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution. - Abraham Lincoln