New Ruger 10/22 Take Down

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

SpaceWrangler
Silent But Deadly

New Ruger 10/22 Take Down

Post by SpaceWrangler »

I saw this new model on Lightfighter a couple weeks ago, and knew I'd have to jump on it.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Taked ... s.html?r=y

I ordered it early last week and picked it up Wednesday morning after work.  I took it apart to see how the barrel lock works, and then spent a couple hours at the range slaying rows of steel plates.  Other than the quick-change barrel, it’s the 10/22 we’re all familiar with, and it ran like a Swiss watch. The trigger groups are plastic now, by the way. I don't know how long Ruger has been doing that. The last 10/22 I bought new was in '97.

I didn’t like the forend and barrel band, so I removed it and reshaped the forend to eliminate the flat spot the barrel band sits in...

Next, I cut the 18 1/2 barrel down to 16 1/4 inches and threaded it on my lathe 1/2” - 28 tpi for silencers.  I’m using a red-dot sight exclusively with this gun, so I’ll never miss the front sight.

Factory...

And mine...
Cheapo TruGlo sight. But it holds a zero a 50 yards, so I'm happy. I spent most of the day today reshaping the Ruger forend to match the Butler Creek folding stock.  Both stocks are black plastic and can be shaped fairly easily using a belt sander held in a vise.  Then lots of finish sanding by hand, and a light mist of rattle-can flat black on both to match the colors.

Here's the beauty of my rig...
Damned near fits in a shoebox.

I think I’ll register the receiver so I can get a spare barrel and cut it down to 6 inches, threading it as well.

Last edited by SpaceWrangler on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
300newb

Re: New Ruger 10/22 Take Down

Post by 300newb »

Very nice mod. I love the 10/22 and will get one of those in a little while.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

certifiable wrote:After seeing this post, I found myself inspired.
Very cool! What's the widget under the trigger guard? Looks like something to do with the mag release but I've not seen anything like it before.
eracer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by eracer »

Certifiable,

I'm not sure I could justify spending $200 to make a .22LR an SBR. (Or do your photos make that barrel look a lot shorter than it actually is?
Klem
Silent But Deadly

Post by Klem »

What is the minimum barrel length needed to stabilize and burn all the powder in a typical .22LR subsonic?
eracer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by eracer »

certifiable wrote:
eracer wrote:Certifiable,

I'm not sure I could justify spending $200 to make a .22LR an SBR. (Or do your photos make that barrel look a lot shorter than it actually is?
Understandable.
For myself, I felt it a waste of time for only 2inches.
Different strokes, ya know
10-4