Costly mistake with an AR Pistol Rig

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Omega
Silent But Deadly

Re: Costly mistake with an AR Pistol Rig

Post by Omega »

bangbangping wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:24 pm The thing I don't get is why anyone would want to shoot an unsuppressed 7" .223. That's unpleasant even before you blow a finger off. :shock:

Glad it's not worse. Perhaps a hand stop would help in the future?
Oh, I don't know, I have an 8" or 8.5" one, and though a bit louder, it's not too bad. At the time, that was the only barrel I could score, otherwise it would have been 10.5", which I later got again unsuppressed.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Br549

Post by Br549 »

I for one am very glad you brought this up. I shoot my 300 blk off bags and plan on doing again as soon as my new red dot shows up. After reading your “Costly Mistake” I will be more careful.

Thank You for sharing this important message. :!:

You are never too old to learn. And if you don’t learn from other peoples mistakes you will make the same mistake
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

It's been 2 months, how are you healing up? Well I hope.
mebgardner

Post by mebgardner »

dellet wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:49 pm Thanks for the reminder. This is a huge potential for those that tuck the suppressor inside the hand guard.
I dont understand the potential for injury for this case of a suppressor tucked inside the forearm.

Would someone please tell me about it?
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

mebgardner wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:29 pm
dellet wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:49 pm Thanks for the reminder. This is a huge potential for those that tuck the suppressor inside the hand guard.
I dont understand the potential for injury for this case of a suppressor tucked inside the forearm.

In the OP's case, with a 7.5 inch .223, the gas pressure exiting the muzzle can be 20K psi or more. That gas will easily cut through flesh if you happen to slide your hand too far forward.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

mebgardner wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:29 pm

People will tuck the suppressor into the handgaurd anywhere from say 1/2” to flush with the end of the handgaurd, say 14” handgaurd with a 7” barrel and 7” suppressor. That in itself is not a major problem, until they take the suppressor off to check for bullet stability and the muzzle is completely behind the end of the guard. You can end up with the same effect as putting your support hand in front of the cylinder on a revolver. Your hand is the same place it always is, but the muzzle is 7” or what ever the suppressor length is, shorter.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

dellet wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:23 pm You can end up with the same effect as putting your support hand in front of the cylinder on a revolver.
Especially when using a suppressor attachment that acts as a muzzle brake when the suppressor is taken off. That brake is going to do an even better job at redirecting the gas directly at where your hand is positioned when the suppressor is off.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Yup, my build is just what Deliet described. The barrel terminates inside the handguard. It's a carbon fiber handguard and it won't tolerate many shots being fired with blast inside it before it self destructs. Despite my hesitance I bought a Hera linear comp to show the blast the way out beyond the handguards. A muzzle brake would have just made the blast inside the handguards even worse for a quicker failure so that was a non starter. A fake can with no innards would have worked just as well IMO and would have been much cheaper. But I have what I now have. The most difficult part was finding a linear comp' that was long enough. I almost went with a fake can with no innards and no end cap. I should have.

The Hera? I don't see that it does anything more than ushers the blast out past the handguards. It's good bait though and I wanted to try a linear comp. It's like trying to move a sailboat with a deck mounted fan. But the holes at the end of the Hera do allow me to torque it down with a pin spanner wrench. Worth the extra $ ? Not IMO. I did have some blast forwarding muzzle devices but they just weren't long enough, lacking just a little and I wasn't going to chance it.

The can (as seen below) lives on the barrel unless I'm doing load development and then the Hera is put on it until I prove the load to give a stable bullet.

This is far from up to date, but it's close enough.
mebgardner

Post by mebgardner »

Thanks for the leg up. The responses are clear to me regarding the dangers.

Thanks, Got It!