My First 350 Legend Kill

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

My First 350 Legend Kill

Post by BlogSarge »

Killed my first 350 Legend deer yesterday evening with Winchester 150gr Extreme Point ammo.

Big doe, about 20 yards, walking directly away from me. Rifle height was about 20 feet above. Impact was about 8 or so inches behind her shoulder and took out about three inches of her spine. Exited just to the left of her sternum and I did not recover the bullet. She dropped right there, obviously. Chest cavity was pretty much scrambled, but the heart was intact.

Taking out the spine really doesn’t tell much about the ammo; a 22lr through the spine would work also, but she was dead within seconds due to the overall trauma.

She’ll hang and age for a week or so, then the cutting begins!
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: My First 350 Legend Kill

Post by plant.one »

cousin got one with his the other day. clean neck shot, deer dropped like a sack of taters. severed the esphagus and clipped the spine on the way thru. his gun REALLY likes those 150's - he can stack a 5 shot group touching at 100 with them. big dirty hole type of group.

exit wound was as you'd expect, no projectile of course but sure looks like it was expanding on the way through. expect a standard heart/lung would work great based on what i saw anyway.

dunno how that winchester 150gr bullet would do smashing through a shoulder. probably would depend where exactly you made contact.

brother plugged a beautiful 11pt buck opening morning with a 180gr nosler partition (round nose) and found the jacket and rear core still under the skin behind a rib opposite of the shoulder he shattered going in. never thought i'd see a 30-06 bullet not have an exit wound at 100 yds, no less one of those. i;'ll try to get some pics of the bullet up in a couple days when i do a full writeup of our season results so far. 5 deer total though, 11, 8, 7, 6 and a 2½pt spike so a good opening couple of days for us :)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: My First 350 Legend Kill

Post by BlogSarge »

I found a small chunk of lead at the entrance (through the backstrap, sadly) and of course no luck finding the rest of the slug. I imagine it would still work through a shoulder, but time will tell. I was hoping for a high shoulder/spine shot, but you take the good shot you are given!

I’ve see bullet failure close where the bullet is going fast, but at longer range it stays together better without as much velocity induced upset.

I’ll have to work on shooting another. For research purposes, of course!