350 legend & "cheatin" with strelok

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

350 legend & "cheatin" with strelok

Post by plant.one »

went up to a buddy's on saturday to help with a couple small projects and he asked for some help getting his legend dialed in - the Zero stop turret on the legend calibrated leupy VX-Freedom had him all goofed up. he's old school and tech like that is foreign to him as trying to read a greek newspaper.

anyway, we zeroed the rifle for him at 100, and he had some jugs and a couple targets setup at 200 yds.

plugged the basic data into Strelok, hit calculate, and had a click chart ready to go in about 2 mins. 15 clicks up, cousin pulls the trigger *smack* *pop* jug of water explodes.

friend: thats cheatin!
me: no its ballistic math - its science, not cheatin! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

our friend says "lemme try that" hops on his gun, holds on the other jug, flinches and misses. settles in and drills it on his 2nd shot. *smack* *pop* 2nd jug empty.

i hop behind the trigger - take a bead on the bullseye on one of the targets and fire off a group. then put about a dozen thru the one jug that was still standing trying to hit it in a way that caught a seam or something to knock it over (turns out it still had about a cup of water in it) but all i could do was get it to rotate a bit.

here's the group, 1½ bullseye sticker, 200 yds, 147gr FMJ winchester white box ammo. not bad for my first 3 shots on the gun. 8)

Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Re: 350 legend & "cheatin" with strelok

Post by cwlongshot »

I have a nice scope on my 350.... But I did look hard at the Leupy!! If I had the need to change ranges on the fly like that its a nice option no doubt!!

I will need a scope on the SCR build in 350 in a few months... Maybe Ill grab one of these.

But I gotta find a barrel first!!! ;). Emailed Boyds yesterday about wood fore stocks, Im hoping for favorable
Replies...

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Hey plant.one,

How you doing?

Looks like your friend should have some venison hanging come the season.

I finally got my 350 shooting well out of my 12 inch barrel with GSL 350 Legend suppressor using the 150gr Extreme Points from Winchester. I got it set dead on at 100 yards, then shot a group at 50 yards. It turns out that my zero at 50 yards is the same as the zero at 100 yards. I got a 1.25” group at 100 yards with a 1.25-4x Leupold VX-R, so I’m pretty darn happy!

Cheers!
Blog
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

cwlongshot wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:18 am I have a nice scope on my 350.... But I did look hard at the Leupy!! If I had the need to change ranges on the fly like that its a nice option no doubt!!

I will need a scope on the SCR build in 350 in a few months... Maybe Ill grab one of these.

But I gotta find a barrel first!!! ;). Emailed Boyds yesterday about wood fore stocks, Im hoping for favorable
Replies...

CW
i'm used to clickin for elevation from all my shooting with the blackout these past years... so it wasnt new territory for me.

the zero stop is nice though for those who arent real familiar with it like most of us are.

glass was clear, and clicks werent mushy at all. so overall it felt nice to work with. i dunno if it was $300 worth of cool though. id have to shoot it more to know - but its not my toy so i wont likely do much else with it othter than play once in a while when i go visit up there with him :)
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

BlogSarge wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:22 am Hey plant.one,

How you doing?

Looks like your friend should have some venison hanging come the season.

I finally got my 350 shooting well out of my 12 inch barrel with GSL 350 Legend suppressor using the 150gr Extreme Points from Winchester. I got it set dead on at 100 yards, then shot a group at 50 yards. It turns out that my zero at 50 yards is the same as the zero at 100 yards. I got a 1.25” group at 100 yards with a 1.25-4x Leupold VX-R, so I’m pretty darn happy!

Cheers!
Blog

nicely done! glad to hear you got yours dialed!

as long as he does his part.. the gun should do its part :)

i've been busier than a one legged man in the proverbial @$$ kicking contests some weeks.. and others just average meh... but overall doing well.

none of that funky 'rona stuff to deal with or anything like that :)

things going ok there out by AA? :)
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

All is quiet around here. Staying healthy and safe but more than ready for the lap pool and gym to reopen. I’m having withdrawal from them.

It’s hard to think that deer season is coming up fast. I gotta eat more venison to empty the fridge!

Give a shout when you’re out this way. I still have brass, lol!
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Took my Ruger 350 to the range last night with some Remington 150CL bullets I sized down to .356 and loaded atop a ladder of 296 starting @26g. Right away I shoulda used a 450 prim as the Win SR was purdy flat. :mrgreen:

But by the time I had hit 28.5 those primers where NO FLATTER, so yet another proof primers alone ARE CRAP IDENTIFIERS! Accuracy showed lo charges till I hit 27.5 as I had one flyer in an other wise great one hole group. 28 & 28.3 both shot nearly touching and touching groups. No appreciable case head expansion. So Ill load another ladder batch with a 450 starting at 28, stopping at 29. Im nkt really enamored with such a light 35 cal. But its a proper bullet for this velocity and should preform as well as it can. My vel was 2350 for 28.5g in a 16" bbl.

I also shot two sub loads. Actually same load but differe t bullets. Both my cast. One a 270g Accurate and second a 235g NOE WFP. Both fed great! BOTH shot just about 1.5" @ 50. The 270 had just a hint of yaw. So at 1060, might need a bit more vel to stabilize. But the 235 showed perfect holes and only shot a tiny bit wider group. BOTH used 7g of HERCO!! 1060/270 & 1090/235. Nearly spot on the QL Prediction.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS