Buying a gun - No CCW?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Buying a gun - No CCW?

Post by rebel »

NICS system is screwed right now, if you expect to get your firearm immediately your wrong. During this time, your rights will be infringed, depending on when the system is overwhelmed. Expect a DELAY status with no call back, meaning you can pick your firearm up - if purchased today - on 04/22/2020. Gun control, ain't it grand? The system crashes , you don't get a rifle. Get a Concealed Carry permit for God's sake. Just advice from an FFL and LGS.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Re: Buying a gun - No CCW?

Post by Sig220 »

Picked up a S&W Shield in .40 the other day. My dealer made the same comment....."good thing you have a CHL, if not you would be going home empty handed" :shock: I thought the pistol might be a hand full, but actually shoots really well. Now loading the magazines....holy hell they have stiff springs.....I mean I still have not got 7 rounds in one yet! :shock:
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Have you tried to do anything requires local, city, county, sheriff or PD?

My drivers license de-lamenated, with work being slow went to motor vehicle to get a replacement, closed. My carry permit expires the end of the month, requires new photo and apply in person at the sheriffs office, closed. Only official office I could find open was the tax collector. There’s always time for tax collecting.

Local dealer whose business is heavy into NFA, no finger printing available.

Go to the bank for a notary, drive through only.

Thought I could get things done while business was slow. Might as well be Christmas Day on a Sunday trying to get anything done.

Next door neighbor’s property was hit by meth heads who were stupid enough to come back for more the next night. They were held at gunpoint until the sheriff arrived. They got a trespass ticket and cut loose because we stopped them before they took anything. Would not have mattered if we had waited until they had foods in hand, jail is not taking any new customers if they cough once. I guess no one told the thieves their jobs are non-essential and they need to stay home until the lock down is over.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Roverhound
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Roverhound »

Picked up a Beretta 85FS i had on lay away last Thursday. Gun shop was only letting 2 people inside at a time.
I filled out my paper work and told them I would wait outside so some one else could come in while it went through. It cleared before I made it through the door.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

rebel wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:15 pm NICS system is screwed right now, if you expect to get your firearm immediately your wrong. During this time, your rights will be infringed, depending on when the system is overwhelmed. Expect a DELAY status with no call back, meaning you can pick your firearm up - if purchased today - on 04/22/2020. Gun control, ain't it grand? The system crashes , you don't get a rifle. Get a Concealed Carry permit for God's sake. Just advice from an FFL and LGS.
the stupid BATFE just changed the rules here for michigan ... your cpl no longer stands in lieu of the NICS phone call, because recreational marijuana is legal here now, and our state doesnt mandate a drug test to get your CPL to confirm you're not a "habitual user".

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/atf-m ... alization/
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Just an update - still a bunch of immediate delays ( i.e. we are to busy right now, sorry ) with call backs approving in a day or two. Still sucks, but the NICS folks that call back sound worn out - not that I feel sorry for them, but I am not blaming them, just the system.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

plant.one wrote:
the stupid BATFE just changed the rules here for michigan ... your cpl no longer stands in lieu of the NICS phone call, because recreational marijuana is legal here now, and our state doesnt mandate a drug test to get your CPL to confirm you're not a "habitual user".

What does this mean? Does this mean the feds are going to cross reference a 4473 applicant to see if they showed up as purchasing marijuana in the last period of time?

It’s illegal in my state and I’ve never traveled out of state so I don’t know how it works. But don’t they scan your drivers license at the point of sale to create some sort of documentation of you purchasing the drug?

Seems like this would be a good way to catch someone in a felony perjury trap.

Or is this just an excuse to infringe further? Just curious.

Thanks
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

wildfowler wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:12 pm
plant.one wrote:

What does this mean? Does this mean the feds are going to cross reference a 4473 applicant to see if they showed up as purchasing marijuana in the last period of time?

It’s illegal in my state and I’ve never traveled out of state so I don’t know how it works. But don’t they scan your drivers license at the point of sale to create some sort of documentation of you purchasing the drug?

Seems like this would be a good way to catch someone in a felony perjury trap.

Or is this just an excuse to infringe further? Just curious.

Thanks
Not legal in my state, either, but the one place in CA I went to did take down your DL info before they let you enter. My guess is it's more for their protection than to share, but that's just a guess.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

its not a perjury trap.

theres no documentation that you've been to a dispensary, unless its on the medical side where you need to have a card.

but with recreational stuff - its just walk in and hand over your cash.

so its just a *give you the finger* type sitaution from the batfe as far as i can tell
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

plant.one wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:49 pm its not a perjury trap.

theres no documentation that you've been to a dispensary, unless its on the medical side where you need to have a card.

but with recreational stuff - its just walk in and hand over your cash.

so its just a *give you the finger* type sitaution from the batfe as far as i can tell
You got it backwards.

Nothing changed on the Federal level. All they did was was clarify that federal laws still apply.

Your beef should be with your state for picking and choosing which Federal laws they choose to ignore.

How do you think it would work out if the State said that it is legal for you to not pay federal income tax?

The State is the one making people choose between drugs or guns. Not the Feds or ATF.

Basically the State gave the finger to the Feds and lets the citizen take the brunt of any enforcement. It doesn't matter how you feel about what's Constitutional and what's not. If citizens were setup for any kind of legal jeopardy, it was done by the State.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.