New $109 .22LR Bolt Action Threaded BBL

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

New $109 .22LR Bolt Action Threaded BBL

Post by Steve Urquell »

I've been wanting a threaded bbl .22lr with a wood stock and iron sights for awhile. Most of the rifles I can afford have synthetic stocks and many of the threaded bbl rifles have no sights. I saw one of these little Armscor/RIA (Rock Island Armory) M14Y (youth) rifles at Atwoods for $150 and started researching them. Turns out they have great reviews online.

I bought mine from Centerfire Guns and had it shipped to my local FFL. Cost was $109 and I added insurance for $3, free shipping, no tax, and my FFL guy charges me $20 transfer fee and no tax on that. Total OTD was $132. https://www.centerfireguns.com/armsc...rfl-51013.html

As the pics show it is boxed well. The rifle, magazine, and bolt were in heat sealed plastic bags and the rifle was covered in cosmoline. Bore was dirty I'm assuming from test firing. I cleaned the bore and rifle, oiled the bolt with M Pro 7 and started sighting in.

Sights are a metal blade rear with elevator and hooded bead front. The bead is too big for my tastes and covers ~3" of target at 25yds. Nice target crown and thread protector on the muzzle, 1/2-28 threads on the bbl. Trigger pull was ~5lbs and crisp with no take up. OAL is 34.5", shorter than my 10/22 with 16.5" bbl.

For groups I was at my benchrest. It is dark and stormy here today and my target area was very dim. Keep in mind I have 50 y/o astigmatic eyes and the front sight covers ~3" of target. I never felt like I got a precise bead on the bullseye so I am astounded at the groups I shot with this thing. Took ~20 shots to dial it in and then punching the bullseye with ease, ringing my steel swinging 4" targets offhand with every shot at 25yds.

The target with the tape on it has (2) 3 shot groups on the right as I was drifting the sights. Ammo was .22LR AE Suppressor 45gr and 40gr CCI Std Velocity.

I wasn't sure about the youth length stock but it handles, shoulders, and cheekwelds fine for me--I'm 5'8", 165lbs with LONG arms. Suppressor threaded on great. It is a HTA Chameleon TI. Shots with it sounded like my pump up Crossman .177 air rifle. Bullets hitting the target were louder than the shot.

I've been plinking steel with it all afternoon and it's a blast. Single loads great with the mag in. CCI quiet .22 without the suppressor is pretty quiet w/o plugs in--the bullet hitting steel is louder than the shot.

Overall I am extremely pleased with this rifle. It is an amazing deal. It can be extremely accurate with a scope and ammo tuning. Here's and extensive review from a guy showing this rifle's potential. https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=12918662

Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Re: New $109 .22LR Bolt Action Threaded BBL

Post by Steve Urquell »

Hootie

Post by Hootie »

Got one too and love it
ironhead7544

Post by ironhead7544 »

Looks good to me. It begs for a scope.

I like a flat top blade for a front sight. Easier to index.
Steve Urquell
Silent But Deadly

Post by Steve Urquell »

I've been using this rifle to introduce new shooters to the sport for years now. With the suppressor mounted, no recoil, and almost no noise it has made them love shooting.

Almost everone who has shot this loves it and several didn't want to shoot any other guns than this one because they hit everything they aimed it at and it is not loud and obnoxious. Perfect way to introduce new shooters to the sport.