My new wildcat, the 6.5 Creedless

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

My new wildcat, the 6.5 Creedless

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

So I have been wanting to do this for a while now. I finally got everything I need except the reamer and tomorrow I will get that ordered.

It is a wildcat based on the 256 Winchester Magnum which was popular in the 50's and 60's. There were factory loads as well as revolvers chambered in it. It is a 357 Magnum necked down to shoot a ~6.5mm bullet.

Because I wanted it to feed from an AR magazine it had to be rimless and 223 Remington is close, cheap and plentiful. But because the 223 is slightly smaller than 256 Win Mag I need a custom reamer. I am ordering it tomorrow.

To make the cases I cut a 223 case at 1.280”. I use 300 Blackout does to partially form the neck followed by the 256 Win Mag dies to finish making the brass. After firing the body can be sized using standard 223 dies. I will use the 256 Win Mag dies to bump the shoulder back into spec. In the pictures that is a 140g 6.5mm bullet and it doesn’t go past the neck at 2.19” overall length.

I am using a Model 7 to build the pistol, Thanks Dellet. It was sold as just a receiver so it is legal as a pistol. It has been squared up and trued. I am building it into an XP100 clone that is rear grip that feeds from an AR magazine. I will use a 7 twist barrel somewhere between 8" and 12" in length. I also have barrels in 223 Remington as well as 300 Blackout. The barrels will be threaded and I will have the barrel machined so I can use a wrench to easily swap barrels.

I am having a pistol stock made that will have an inlet for PTG AR bottom metal. Rather than use off the shelf wood I am using spalted elm from a tree cut off my property. The tree was here on the family property that I grew up on and has been here since I was a child. Makes a connection to me and where I grew up and now live.

It isn't a long range caliber but should make for a fun shooter with heavy, high BC bullets. I do not plan on shooting subsonic but it will definitely have a silencer. I am doing it for the same reason I got into 300 Blackout, low recoil. Because of my accident I am a bit recoil sensitive so I swapped from 308 Winchester to 300 Blackout. And because I want to shoot 6.5mm this seemed like a great way to do it.

The reamer has been ordered from JGS, it will take 3-4 months to get it in.

I've been struggling with a name. First it was 6.5 Kurtz, then 6.5 D-S but then I thought 6.5 Creedless would not only be fitting but funny as well.

I will post updates as process is made.

WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: My new wildcat, the 6.5 Creedless

Post by plant.one »

neato!
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Bery intewesting....look forward to following your progress on this project.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Cool stuff DS !
I have thought about this same cal idea a number of times ( minus the name....lol......good pun), looks like alot of fun !

Cant wait to hear all the progress with powders and mv's and all !
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

that looks pretty damn cool
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Ackley that muther. Creedless Improved sounds even funnier!
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Bob the nailer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bob the nailer »

Nice work Gordon! always enjoy your innovation.
One ragged hole! The quest for accuracy continues...

Bob the nailer
NRA Life member
Varmint Hunters Assoc. Member
American Gunsmith Association
www.knowyourzero.com
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

So...when does the 6mm Creedless come online? :mrgreen: I'm in for the .22 version, be the .22 Valchemy...
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

TRshootem wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:33 pm So...when does the 6mm Creedless come online? :mrgreen: I'm in for the .22 version, be the .22 Valchemy...
Believe that isvthe 22 Jet. I considered that as well for shooting HEAVY subsonic loads. Problem was using 5.56 brass the neck was way too thick and I would loose a lot.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

6mm creedless would be interesting too !
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !