Ruger SR-762 accuracy issues.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Nickntexas

Ruger SR-762 accuracy issues.

Post by Nickntexas »

Was hoping some folks here have the SR-762 and could point me in the right direction. I purchased the SR-762 the week it came out. Had every issue you can think of. Long story short Ruger ended up replacing it. Got the new one, shot it a few times, and put it in the safe. Ended up trading it for a custom 300BO to my father inlaw. Last year we traded again but this time for a shotgun and got it back. Well I hunted with it last year and took a deer at about 200 yards so I thought all was good. This year I decided to see what it would do. Threw a Zeiss 3-15x42 with rapid Z 600 radical on it and bought some various ammo. Shot it today and could not get a group under 8". Decided to remove the aimpoint and 3x off my 300BO to eliminate possible scope issues. Used some 110gr Hornady v-max I worked up and in three shots to sight in was hitting 2" groups at 100 yrds off a bag of corn as my rest. I threw a a cheap $170 3-12×50 on the SR-762 with same results. Hard to believe it can be off this much. When I say 8" groups I mean right, left, up, down, all over the place. Some flyers off more than a foot. A few times I'd get 3 consecutive shots at 1.5 and then it would go crazy again. Haven't tried with open sights and don't think I could do much better at 100 yrds anyway. Thinking I got another lemon. All the brass looks fine. Even tried a few boxes of 7.62x51 with same results. Scratching my head at this point.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ruger SR-762 accuracy issues.

Post by Sig220 »

Sounds like it is suffering from a lack of consistency. Go back and check all your screws and such.....holding the action, mounts and scope. Make sure there is nothing growing in the bore.....start clean and tight and it should all come together.

Good Luck!
Nickntexas

Post by Nickntexas »

I just cleaned it. Everything is tight. A little play between the upper and lower but shouldn't effect accuracy. I took the scope and mount (waren x-skel 1 piece) right off the .308 and mounted it on my 300BO. Same position and everything. The other scooe I tride has a 1 piece burris. I didn't clean the piston but I should've have nearly enough rounds through it yet to have to and it shouldn't effect accuracy anyway. The barrel is shinning and locks up tight to the upper. Thinking I'm going to sale it and get a DI .308 AR at this point. Might call Ruger tomorrow and see what they suggest. At a loss for what to try at this point. Only thing I haven't tried is tirning the gas off and shoot it like a bolt action but don't see how that would make a difference either. Two boxes of 762x51 shot fine but one box would not cycle the next round on any gas setting for the first 10 rounds. The first one I had shot great except for the fte, ftf, and jams on every shot issues I had. Ruger actually told me to put sand in the piston to smooth it out which I declined to do to a $1600 gun. Evidently that did not work for them either since they replaced it. I shouldn't be able to shoot my SKS with open sights better than a 4 year old AR-10 lol.
- Sigmund Freud
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

Well as they say in the old movies, " You are on your own, son!"

I don't have a Ruger product, just a bunch of AR's, Fals and one AR-10 I slapped together. If the mounts are tight, the rings are tight and the scope (if equipped) ain't broke, they all shoot well. I have had them group where I didn't expect it before, but always found a loose screw and not always behind the stock.... :shock:
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

I have the SR556 (Takedown 5.56 and the 300 Blackout conversion bbl). FWIW, both the SR762 and SR556 have now been discontinued.

It took a lot of testing before I found a load that shot OK (to me, 1 1/2" 5 shot 100yd groups) in the 5.56 caliber. Repeated trips to the range were required. With the 5th bullet tried (4 different powders used) (Hornady 62gr BTHP only sold by Midsouth), I finally met my accuracy goal. In fact, here's my exact note on that 5.56 bbl/rifle combination: "LOOKS LIKE IT MAY BE ~ A 2-3 MOA RIFLE WITH MOST AMMO"

With the Blackout bbl, none of my "normal" hunting loads used in a variety of rifles shot well enough for me, so I had to experiment with bullets and powders with that bbl too, but not as much as with the 5.56 bbl. The Barnes 110gr black tip with 20.1gr H110 shot fine and was used to take an 8pt whitetail this season. Strange, but nice for practice and plinking, it also liked a mild pulled 123gr 7.62x39 fmj bullet load in the Blackout that I'd been using for plinking with my RARR Blackout, hitting 1/2" lower at 100yd than my hunting load that was sighted 1 1/2" high at 100yd, and the windage was right on.

My understanding, from posts from people complaining about Ruger accuracy that have contacted Ruger, is that Ruger doesn't have the most stringent accuracy requirements for their auto loading rifles (people have posted they were told 2" at 50yd). I have not verified this with Ruger, as I've been able to meet my accuracy goals, although it sometimes took a bit of experimenting to do so. All my Ruger bolt guns have been nicely accurate for me. Hang in there and start experimenting.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Nickntexas wrote:Thinking I'm going to sale it and get a DI .308 AR at this point.
Assuming you're honest with the buyer, I can't imagine getting much for an 8" rifle. Might be better to work it out.

If you shot it and hunted with it last year, it obviously was shooting better then. What changed?
Nickntexas

Post by Nickntexas »

Thats the weird part. I sighted it in in about 5 shots. Prior it sat in my safe for years and I shot it just with irons mot really trying. The first shot on that deer I blew out it's backside aiming at its vitals. Figured it a fluke. It raised it's head and I neck shot it perfectly. I took it out a few weeks ago and couldn't hit crap. Kept adjusting the scope (zeiss 3-9x40) until I maxed out the height. Figured my scope crapped out. One of the screws stuck on my mount attempting to remove scope so I had to replace that and zeiss sent me a 3-15x42 as a replacement saying it was not repairable. Got new mount and scope arrived Monday. Mounted everything up and took it out yesterday. Getting a little ahead of myself. While waiting on the new Zeiss I mounted a Hawke $170 3-12x50 which are made to airgun and .22 specs due to there double recoil. An airgun will f up a $1k scope in a heartbeat. Anyway, went out yesterday and 1st shot was high right but on paper. Measured it, made the adjustments and the next shot was 1/2 low and 2" left from bull. Sweet. Made 8 clicks lefts and 8 up (to get 1.5" high at 100yrds) and all hell broke loose. Holes everywhere. Shot the rest of that box and my barnes hunting rounds plus some other brand I had a little over 1/2 a box of with same results. Never adjusted the turrets after the initial sight in. Had my father inlaw shoot it too to see if it was just me. I removed the scope still on the mount, threw it on my 300BO, adjusted twice and was hitting 2" after 3 shots. Just called Ruger. Sending it in. Maybe they can fix the occasional fte ftf issues I'm still having and the god awful trigger as well. I'm sending it through a dealer this time. The last time I sent it through a hub but moved since and the dealer is cheaper anyway. Not as fun though as walking into a shipping hub with an AR over your shoulder :).
- Sigmund Freud
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

is the handguard touching the gas block/piston assembly?

wondering if you're making contact somewhere you're not supposed to and causing weird barrel whip.

doesnt take much off an aliment issue to cause that

just throwing a possibility out there that i dont see mentioned.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Nickntexas

Post by Nickntexas »

Well it's not a floating barrel. Unfortunately Ruger says to not replace handguard. It is however very tight and aligned. The first 1 I had I broke it completely down to attempt to fix thenfte ftf issues. Ive only done a basic cleaning to this one. I don't even have enough rounds through it to clean the piston at this point. If it's something simple I'm going to slap myself but I'm not new to guns. I've built a few and reconditioned more than a few on many platforms though I'm not an expert gunsmith by any means. I can't make sense of it. Hopefully Ruger will figure it out.
- Sigmund Freud
Nickntexas

Post by Nickntexas »

Haven't shot it yet but got the .308 back today. Heres what Ruger did.

- Replaced BCG (does not look like the previous chrome one)
- Replaced Piston and regulator
- Honed the chamber
- upgraded trigger group (nice crisp 2 stage)
- Replaced Buttstock (buffer looks new tool
- shot 60 rounds without issue.
- sent a 50 yard group .5 moa with one 1" flyer.

If weather permits I'm going to try it ut tomorrow. If its shooting right I'm thinking of selling it and building a DI .308. See how light I can get one. I do a lot of stocking when I hunt and this guy can get heavy after awhile. Will post outcome.
- Sigmund Freud