Gas length question

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Gas length question

Post by dellet »

sub-oldguy wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:58 pm
dellet wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:47 pm The problem with the cartridge and things that shoot it, is that it is just too versatile. The more info you can give, the better the answers will be tailored to what you are doing.

By the book, a 10.5" carbine gassed AR will not work, period.
The book defines working as full function, with and without a suppressor, both subs and supers.

Off the shelf or handloads will make a huge difference in what will work.

If you are willing to take the time, and for me it was, the effort to build an upper configured with a 10" barrel and loads was well worth it. Less noise, less gas, less recoil. I shoot 100% suppressed.

The flip side of that, is that the barrel was given to me because the previous owner couldn't make it work.

Shooting supers should be no problem without a suppressor, subs you will be limited to maybe three powders. Probably no off the shelf subs, I have not tried that.

Most people with any sense would probably return it. At some point I will probably buy another, if that helps explain anything :shock:
Do you shoot any supers out of your 10.5” barrel with the suppressor on?

Do you have an adj gas block or worked on the gas port size?
Absolutely shoot supers out of all my barrels. Not really any reason to worry about it until a barrel is 7” or less.

This barrel was given to me by someone who could not get subs to work with a suppressor. He had already opened up the port to .125”. I could probably get by without an adjustable block, but I can turn it down about 1/4 with supers without a suppressor and more than half with one.

I have probably a dozen loads with probably half a dozen powders for suppressed subs, but only a few without a suppressor. It definitely takes work and a custom tuned load.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Re: Gas length question

Post by popper »

Pistol. DI depends on maintaining pressure to unlock the bolt before the bullet leaves the barrel. Can keeps the pressure up like a longer barrel. Shorter the barrel, faster the pressure drops.