djones

Re: 300 Wilson Ham’r

Post by djones »

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

djones wrote:Image
Man, that looks like a lot of fun. What part of the country are you shooting?
djones

Post by djones »

texas panhandle

Mike7.62
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mike7.62 »

djones wrote:mike,
i'm not sure about the claims. i never really tried to push the blackout. as far as equaling the 30-30, i haven't thought about comparing them either. if anything, i used to unfairly compare the 30-30 against bolt action 30 calibers and wondered why anyone would ever choose a 30-30.

the hamr is as good a choice for a deer killing round as any in an ar15. i put it right up there (if not farther) with the grendel and spc, which need a different bolt and mag. if you can get a hamr barrel on sale for $200 then even better. just don't expect to run over to academy for a box of ammo. if a case will last you a while, then order it from wilson and you're fine. if you handload then i think you will be very pleased. the bonus is that even if it were only the equal of a hot blackout, grendel or spc, the accuracy is utterly astounding!!

here are some vids while i was still using 110s. pretty good killers but seem to lose some steam on the longer shots.

https://youtu.be/lbKWXH97zzM
https://youtu.be/S17FFZcplz4
djones,

Thanks for the reply. The reason that I asked is that the 300 HAM'R according to Wilson data is the equivalent of a 20" .30 WCF with anything up to a 150 gr bullet in an AR with an 18" barrel. I was asking for real world experience with that and you have given it to me. Thank you.

The reason that I haven't pulled the trigger on either the 6.5 Grendel or the 6.8 SPC is because of the differences in the bolt face and magazines. I already have a 7.62x39 upper, and it hasn't sheared a lug yet, but I don't use it hard either. I also have magazines for it from one source (out of many trials) that work acceptably, but not flawlessly, so I don't want to go down that road again. I don't particularly like having proprietary magazines from one source, or reduced capacity. I prefer to have a standard BCG and magazines. The 300 BLK and the 300 HAM'R both do this.

I have not pushed the 300 BLK yet in any of my supersonic loads, so I guess I need to, and compare that with Wilson data before I buy the barrel.

As you say, comparing the .30-30 to a .308 Winchester or a .30-06 is like comparing apples to oranges, but the .30-30 is a good, balanced, cartridge which has effectively killed many critters up to black bear, and having that power easily achievable in a standard AR seems like the perfect solution if you like hunting with an AR, at least IMO. Besides as a handloader, I can tweak things to my liking. Starline is supposedly coming out with 300 HAM'R brass soon, so that should not be a worry.

Again thanks for the information and the videos. I have't seen sounders of hogs like that since I moved from NE FL.
djones

Post by djones »

cudnt pass up sharing this hunt..
3 shooters
3 nights
112 hogs

https://youtu.be/nysEaVAH4fM
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

djones wrote:cudnt pass up sharing this hunt..
3 shooters
3 nights
112 hogs

https://youtu.be/nysEaVAH4fM
I'm not sure "hunt" is the proper word for that. :lol:

That's a well done video. Nice touch at the end. I think I like the one at 0:27 best.

Which optic has the vertical bar in the middle without a cross?
djones

Post by djones »

the scope is a trijicon mark3 60mm. all the shots in the vid are through my scope. its base magnification is 4.5x at 640 x 480 resolution. all magnification is digital. 2x is 9 power at 320 x 240, 3x is 18 power and so on. the greater the magnification, the lower the resolution; like zooming a low density pic on your computer. gets grainy fast.

i use the same reticle all the time. however, zooming the scope limits how much of the crosshair is visible, like a ffp scope. the disappearing horizontal line is common in the vids, but i always see it in the scope. at 18x the vid just shows a vertical bar, but i saw the crosshair in the scope. the mini dvr just records at 30 frames per second max.
djones

Post by djones »

fyi... 29.2 was too hot. had pressure signs when i tried to resize
djones

Post by djones »

i've been shooting new brass at or below freezing temps. i think in order to have a safe load for any conditions i should back off at least a full grain or more

https://youtu.be/zn85tn9LXg8
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Not much posting on this in awhile. Just started looking into this. You folks who has one, any regrets? Great pics of the dead hogs above.