300 Wilson Ham’r

Moderators:gds, bakerjw, renegade

User avatar
dellet
Silent But Deadly
Posts:6616
Joined:Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:25 pm
Re: 300 Wilson Ham’r

Post by dellet » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:42 am

The original 300 Ham’r?
30-30 Wesson, made from a 357 Maximum case. Straight tapered to .308. Case is a bit short at 1.635”, but it’s as close as you can get with a existing case. Introduced about 1880.

Those are 175 & 190 grain Bullets. 223 case and 300 Blackout with a 110 Varmageddon for reference. Not sure how it does on hogs, probably not as good as the new Ham’r

Image
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.

BulletFlight for Android
Rick R2
Silent Operator
Posts:69
Joined:Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:57 pm
Location:WVa USA

Re: 300 Wilson Ham’r

Post by Rick R2 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:29 pm

Interesting reading thru 2+ years of Ham’r info. My wife brought home a lower and said “I want something different”. I guess I’m building a Ham’r or two in the near future. :lol:

djones
Member
Posts:31
Joined:Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: 300 Wilson Ham’r

Post by djones » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:34 pm


hogcaller
Silent Operator
Posts:92
Joined:Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:57 pm
Location:Oklaunion, TEXAS

Re: 300 Wilson Ham’r

Post by hogcaller » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:44 pm

Texcl2 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:03 am
I know this is an old thread but my response is to the guy tearing necks off while converting .223 brass. I have been converting the .223 brass for the ham’r and this is what works for me. I tumble the raw brass, anneal the neck/shoulder, spray down the cases with Hornady case lube, lightly is fine and run them through my rcbs sizer. If I do this I get maybe 2 split necks out of 100, none tear off at all. Then trim to size and load. Very very simple and easy. Federal brass works the best, Winchester brass seems hit or miss almost all failed cases were Winchester, 95% of the federal cases I ran and didn’t anneal didn’t even split, some had been run over by a truck too, lol.

I think the issue may be with the lee die, I use the heck out of them but in this instance the rcbs dies seem much better, the expander is MUCH better with a special taper and knurled ball. I have less failures than when I convert .22 hornet to .17 hornet.
This is also the procedure I use, except I don't anneal my brass at all. I tend to have a couple splits per 100 cases. What trimmer are you using?
"Sometimes you just gotta hunker down and take it like a jackass in a hail storm!"----Lyndon B. Johnson

eugenesan
Member
Posts:12
Joined:Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:38 pm

Re: 300 Wilson Ham’r

Post by eugenesan » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:59 pm

From my experience, when converting 223 (mainly LC 5.56) to 300ham'r, proper lubrication (I use pure lanolin) and chamfering necks after cutting the cases will result in 99% success rate and the remaining 1% with split necks is not wasted, I just convert them to 300blk ;-)

After sizing, I use Lee deluxe trimmer (unfortunately I don't think you can get those anymore).

Rick R2
Silent Operator
Posts:69
Joined:Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:57 pm
Location:WVa USA

Re: 300 Wilson Ham’r

Post by Rick R2 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:34 pm

We got our .300Ham’r up and running a few weeks ago. I’m very impressed with the accuracy and ease of loading this cartridge.
As for brass, I’m using the old fashioned method. I’m converting cash into Starline brass. :D

I believe I’ll build myself one too.

djones
Member
Posts:31
Joined:Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: 300 Wilson Ham’r

Post by djones » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:35 pm

was wondering what happened to this place. glad to see it's back up

https://youtu.be/-7KW6T-bnF8

Post Reply