college paper, gun control.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Scratch
Silent But Deadly

college paper, gun control.

Post by Scratch »

So my daughter has to do a paper on a controversial subject of her choice for college. She chose to do it on gun control/pro second amendment. I told her I would help her with it by getting some facts, statistics, articles, etc... I have a good selection of them but I'd rather she sees a bunch of examples for herself, and let her decide what she wants to include in her paper.

So if you know of any good websites, videos, stats, charts, articles, facts, etc... and their sources, or any other tips or bits of information you think might be good to include, please post them up and I'll let her look at them. She goes to St. Catherine's college in MN which is an all women's college. From hearing some of the things her professors say, I think they're a pretty liberal college so I'm proud of her for choosing this topic.

Of course she might have chosen it because her dad is an FFL, who carries at home in his PJ's, with a gun range in his backyard, and she knows I'll be able to help her with it more than a topic on say... Genetic cloning.
Thanks.
Last edited by Scratch on Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Re: college paper, gun control.

Post by Sithlord »

While it doesn't necessarily have 'facts', it does discuss gun control initiatives and why they have no correlation to reducing crime, etc. It also compares it to alcohol related deaths to gun related deaths:

https://mises.org/library/gun-control-f ... -lawmakers

Also it's good to know what 'the other side' is suggesting. Many of these talking points are easily debunked, and would make easy fodder for a paper:

http://healthyinfluence.com/wordpress/w ... -pdf-1.pdf
Last edited by Sithlord on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AggieJim
Silent Operator

Post by AggieJim »

The prof's will flame her on this.
Scratch
Silent But Deadly

Post by Scratch »

AggieJim wrote:The prof's will flame her on this.
I told her basically that, and she said she was up to the challenge!
Flatliner
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flatliner »

John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I remember back in 1991 having to do an English paper on gun control.

Here's the jist of how it worked.

This was during the first 9 weeks quarter.

I believe it was timed early so the teacher (or professor-I use the term very lightly) could figure out which students that were never going to get a very good grade in her class.

The 3 of us in the class who wrote pro-gun papers, never got a grade higher than a C regardless of how well we did. Everyone else, seemed to breeze right on through.

If your daughter can stand the heat she'll get over it (and believe me, those activist teachers do talk to each other) go for it.

Otherwise, I suggest that your daughter write a paper on why old people should have to retake their drivers license when they reach a certain age.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Post by rlandry6 »

I don't do this often, but given the political winds and the mindset and lack of tolerance of the leftist idiots, I would take the high road and save the activism for later when it would do the most good.
Writing a paper on pro-gun control is like going to a movie in a car with a Trump bumper sticker and gambling that all your tires won't be slashed when you come out. Sad as it is, that's how Liberals roll.
I stay under the radar, let others deal with the heat, property damage and insults, and just go into the voting booth and cast a straight Republican ticket. Keeps my out of pocket expense and blood pressure down.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Make it a two part paper, using Gun control as an example of when hard provable facts are presented in a biased environment and repercussions/retaliation that occurs by submitting such research to a person of opposing views.

While researching known cases also pitch the paper as an article and try to get peer review with the intent of publication once her grade is known.

If she really wants to make a difference, make the thrust academic bias, using gun control as the example.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
10Driver
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 10Driver »

John A. wrote:I remember back in 1991 having to do an English paper on gun control.

Here's the jist of how it worked.

This was during the first 9 weeks quarter.

I believe it was timed early so the teacher (or professor-I use the term very lightly) could figure out which students that were never going to get a very good grade in her class.

The 3 of us in the class who wrote pro-gun papers, never got a grade higher than a C regardless of how well we did. Everyone else, seemed to breeze right on through.

If your daughter can stand the heat she'll get over it (and believe me, those activist teachers do talk to each other) go for it.

Otherwise, I suggest that your daughter write a paper on why old people should have to retake their drivers license when they reach a certain age.

When I was an undergrad, my father (who left school for OCS in WWII) worked hard to convince me that college was all about the paper you’re handed at the end. I was young, idealistic and didn’t agree. Not surprisingly, I was dead wrong.

Back when I was your daughter’s age, I was in leadership for a couple of official campus clubs, on the student newspaper, sat on the student senate and quite likely would have been selected campus wide for senate president. Additionally, I was very close with my dean. She took great personal interest in mentoring me.

With all of the above and my youthful ignorance, I frequently “bucked” the status quo. I was taught a few lessons and quickly pushed out the door...before anyone could do serious damage to me. I literally did not get to attend my own graduation. They mailed my degree to me.

That said, the profs run the asylum. They are the chess masters and your daughter is a baby. They are frequently way out of control and almost absolutely untouchable. It isn’t worth the hassle and it’s quite likely going to work against her at some level. Perhaps permanently.

I now have three degrees, some post graduate work, and a couple of military colleges under my belt. Additionally, I ‘ve supervised/mentored a couple hundred folks who were working towards their various degrees.

I’m now at my fathers age when he offered me good advice about school. Under the current environment, I wouldn’t recommend touching this topic in a billion years. She should treat this like debate team and be prepared to successfully argue a topic she’s not in favor of or possibly not even interested in.

Honestly, John A has a great suggestion. Use that or something very much like it. Preferably something that strokes the profs ego!

Not what you asked for, but that’s my suggestion.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Please feel free to use this or any of the references:
viewtopic.php?f=149&t=101205

In nothing else, it should point her in some interesting directions.

One other aspect to pursue is the connection between gun control legislation and "Jim Crow" type laws.
Post Civil War, the thought of armed former slaves was terrifying.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain